Moving graves

  • PATG31@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2008
      In the summer of 1996 a descendant of my great-great-grandmother [who had
      died in 1887] had her grave moved from Chisenhall Cemetery on Sand Mountain to
      Cedar Hill Cemetery in Scottsboro, Alabama. A cousin who attended the ceremony
      said there was very little besides dust left to move.

      Pat

      In a message dated 1/30/2008 10:26:24 AM Central Standard Time,
      blackcloud27030@... writes:

      Personally if it was my family I would just as soon they would have been left
      were they were first buried. Can you imagine digging up graves from the early
      to late 1800s when there was no embalming and almost certainly no caskets
      (unless it was a simple wooden one) and finding anything other than a few bones?
      Most people back then were washed by the family or neighbors and buried
      wrapped in a shroud usually just a sheet or quilt.