Re: [jacksongenealogy] REED/CARROLL/HOOPER/PATTERSON

  • John Green
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
      If they were married in Georgia and moved to Jackson County AL, none of
      the Reids I named are likely to be related. These Reids had been in
      the Estill Fork area since at least 1836 and came there from North
      Carolina.

      John McCollum Green

    • dobeworld@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
        Hello,

        I appreciate the postings on my topic.

        I found interesting the posting regarding Alexander Reid marrying a
        Trice, and the couple having a number of children in the area by the mid
        1800's. It has been my experience that folks tend to marry or move in
        groups. In the 1880 Jackson census I found a James Carroll, age 17,
        unable to read relationship, living and working with W J Trice, in the
        midst of several Trice families. Maybe this would be how his still
        unknown/missing sister became familiar with a Reid boy. This entry
        would fit the age of James and Mary there in the 1900, with the niece
        Ida living with them. I have not be able to pinpoint this James Carroll
        in an 1870 census with a sister.

        Another odd thing about the 1900 James/Mary Carroll census is the
        enumeration of a Felix Justice, age 17, as a brother. I haven't been
        able to determine if perhaps it should have stated boarder, or if James'
        or Mary's mothers remarried and had other children.

        1900 Jackson AL, Larkinsville
        Carrel James I Apr 1862 38 AL SC AL Head
        Mary May 1864 32 AL TN TN Wife (was a Patterson)
        Minnie D Jun 12 Al Al Al Dau
        " Jas C July 1891 8 " Son
        Wm O July 1894 5 " Son
        John R Oct 1898 1 " Son
        " Ida 1886 14 " Niece (Ida
        Reed/Reid)
        Justice, Felix 1883 17 Brother

        I don't know if James and Mary Patterson Carroll formally adopted his
        sister's Reed/Reid children or if these children just took the last name
        Carroll since they were living there....and it was their mother's name.

        I have looked at the family of Ben Carroll there in 1860 census and also
        some McCarrells. I notice the name Riley in one of Ben's children, and
        James named one of his sons John Riley. James Carroll had a first son
        James Cleveland (1891), William Oscar, John Riley, and Robert, with
        girls Minnie D, Della Mae, Maude and Flora. Obviously one wonders if a
        boy was named after James' father.

        Thank you,
        Cathy

      • Stirling Young

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
            I suppose it is possible it could be McCarrol/McCarrell; I certainly
            didn't want to rule that out. One is never totally confident of
            census enumeration or spelling. In the 1870 I find a James Carroll,
            possibly my guy. Then he is married and listed as Carrel in 1900. In
            1910 he is shown as McCarroll. All mentioned are in Jackson. Then,
            his widow moves to TX with a few of the children by the 1920 census
            and is thereafter enumerated as Carroll, and that is the spelling on
            her death cert.

            Cathy Carroll

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Stirling Young <c182c@...> wrote:

            > Could your James Carrol be McCarrol instead?
            >
            > dobeworld@... wrote: Hello,
            >
            > I appreciate the postings on my topic.
            >
            > I found interesting the posting regarding Alexander Reid marrying a
            > Trice, and the couple having a number of children in the area by the
            mid
            > 1800's. It has been my experience that folks tend to marry or move in
            > groups. In the 1880 Jackson census I found a James Carroll, age 17,
            > unable to read relationship, living and working with W J Trice, in the
            > midst of several Trice families. Maybe this would be how his still
            > unknown/missing sister became familiar with a Reid boy. This entry
            > would fit the age of James and Mary there in the 1900, with the niece
            > Ida living with them. I have not be able to pinpoint this James Carroll
            > in an 1870 census with a sister.
            >
            > Another odd thing about the 1900 James/Mary Carroll census is the
            > enumeration of a Felix Justice, age 17, as a brother. I haven't been
            > able to determine if perhaps it should have stated boarder, or if
            James'
            > or Mary's mothers remarried and had other children.
            >
            > 1900 Jackson AL, Larkinsville
            > Carrel James I Apr 1862 38 AL SC AL Head
            > Mary May 1864 32 AL TN TN Wife (was a Patterson)
            > Minnie D Jun 12 Al Al Al Dau
            > " Jas C July 1891 8 " Son
            > Wm O July 1894 5 " Son
            > John R Oct 1898 1 " Son
            > " Ida 1886 14 " Niece (Ida
            > Reed/Reid)
            > Justice, Felix 1883 17 Brother
            >
            > I don't know if James and Mary Patterson Carroll formally adopted his
            > sister's Reed/Reid children or if these children just took the last
            name
            > Carroll since they were living there....and it was their mother's name.
            >
            > I have looked at the family of Ben Carroll there in 1860 census and
            also
            > some McCarrells. I notice the name Riley in one of Ben's children, and
            > James named one of his sons John Riley. James Carroll had a first son
            > James Cleveland (1891), William Oscar, John Riley, and Robert, with
            > girls Minnie D, Della Mae, Maude and Flora. Obviously one wonders if a
            > boy was named after James' father.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Cathy

          • Stirling Young
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
              My grtgrandmother Nancy Jane Coyle had a brother James A.Mccarrel born 1852.Nancy and Walker Coyle moved to Dallas Tx about 1885.All thru the 1900's they lived on Deer St in Dallas.Do you have the area of the cencus for 1920?
              dixiedobie <dobeworld@...> wrote: I suppose it is possible it could be McCarrol/McCarrell; I certainly
              didn't want to rule that out. One is never totally confident of
              census enumeration or spelling. In the 1870 I find a James Carroll,
              possibly my guy. Then he is married and listed as Carrel in 1900. In
              1910 he is shown as McCarroll. All mentioned are in Jackson. Then,
              his widow moves to TX with a few of the children by the 1920 census
              and is thereafter enumerated as Carroll, and that is the spelling on
              her death cert.

              Cathy Carroll

              --- > >

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                Hi,

                James I CARROLL or MCCARROLL (per one census) died between the 1910 and
                1920 Jackson census. Widow Mary/Mollie CARROLL and three children were
                living in northeast TX, Red River County, in the 1920. This is the same
                location as her nephew by marriage, Woodie REED/CARROLL.

                Cathy

              • dobeworld@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                  Hi,

                  I have another question/thought on this in regard to an obituary. By
                  any chance does anyone have access to obituaries from the Scottsboro
                  area from 1976? I have tried to search online, with no luck, and also
                  looked at Jackson resources at my local library's genealogy department.

                  If an obit were available for Mrs. Henry R (Ida) REED/CARROLL HOOPER, it
                  might give information on her parents. Her brother's (Woodie) in TX
                  gave no parental information, just that he had a sister Ida still living
                  in Scottsboro, AL. She died on July 8, 1976, per SSDI and Aspel Church
                  Cemetery records online.

                  Thank you for any suggestions.

                  Cathy

                • rgpipes@hughes.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                    Go to this web site and look at the burials. I think your Ida is buried
                    here. There is also some MMCCARROLL families buried there.

                    Regina

                    _____

                    I have another question/thought on this in regard to an obituary. By
                    any chance does anyone have access to obituaries from the Scottsboro
                    area from 1976? I have tried to search online, with no luck, and also
                    looked at Jackson resources at my local library's genealogy department.

                    If an obit were available for Mrs. Henry R (Ida) REED/CARROLL HOOPER, it
                    might give information on her parents. Her brother's (Woodie) in TX
                    gave no parental information, just that he had a sister Ida still living
                    in Scottsboro, AL. She died on July 8, 1976, per SSDI and Aspel Church
                    Cemetery records online.

                    Thank you for any suggestions.

                    Cathy

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    7:44 PM

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    7:44 PM

                  • rgpipes@hughes.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                      Web site for HOOPER burial.

                      HYPERLINK
                      "http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/al/jackson/cemeteries/aspel.txt"http:/

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 27, 2008
                        sarah patterson is my great grandmother

                        From: John Green <dragonriders@...>
                        Cathy,

                        I have Reids in my mother's line, but I have full info on her direct
                        line only. Here are a few candidates who may appear in the 1880
                        census: These are the male children of Alexander and Mary Ann Trice
                        Reed (Reid): John M. (bc1836), Jesse L. (bc1838), Joseph B. (bc1840),
                        James (died in War Between the States at age 14), William (bc1850),
                        Robert A., (b1852) married Martha Arleca Houston, Thomas (b1854).

                        I don't know of any Carroll connection.

                        John McCollum Green
                        On Jan 21, 2008, at 11:41 AM, dobeworld@... wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > I am a new member and am working on the above mentioned lines in
                        > Jackson
                        > County.
                        >
                        > I am just uncovering information on my ancestor Woodie CARROLL, born
                        > 1882 probably in Scottsboro, and his sister (Mrs. Henry) Ida CARROLL
                        > HOOPER, born 1885, who, per Family Bible and lore were really REEDS.
                        > It
                        > is understood that they were orphaned as youngsters and were taken in
                        > by
                        > their mother's brother James I CARROLL/CARRELL and wife Mary/Mollie V
                        > PATTERSON. Woodie is just married by 1900 Marshall census, but sister
                        > Ida is living with James and Mary CARROLL in 1900 Jackson census.
                        >
                        > I have been trying to search 1880 census for REED/REIDS in Jackson who
                        > might possibly be a candidate for father to these two children. I have
                        > also been searching for any possible REED/CARROLL marriages, but to no
                        > avail. Part of the family moves to TX in the early to mid 1900's.
                        > Woodie's obit in 1967 TX gives no family information other than his
                        > sister Ida HOOPER is living in Scottsboro, AL. I have found Ida buried
                        > in the Aspel Church Cemetery as of 1976. I did find a death
                        > certificate
                        > for a James CARROLL who died in 1915 Jackson who may be my uncle, but
                        > his age is a little younger than appeared from census. I have Mary's
                        > certificate from 1945 in TX, confirming she was a PATTERSON (appears
                        > be daughter of Sarah PATTERSON there in 1880 census).
                        >
                        > Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am happy
                        > to share any information I have or find.
                        >
                        > Sincerely,
                        > Cathy Carroll

                      • Stirling Young
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 28, 2008
                          Sorry,but I somehow missed the website with the Mccarrols.Please help me.thanks

                          rgpipes@... wrote: Go to this web site and look at the burials. I think your Ida is buried

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 29, 2008
                              This was already posted once. Been out of town so just now getting the
                              reply.
                              Sorry
                              Regina

                              _____