Re: [jacksongenealogy] REED/CARROLL/HOOPER/PATTERSON

  • fhudson2@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
      My g-g-g-grandmother Sarah Reed married Lewis Morgan in Murray County Georgia in the 1840's and moved to Jackson County date unknown. Lewis was murdered after he returned from the war and his family , including my g-g grandfather Rufus Morgan moved to Chattanooga.
      I haven't found much about sarah's family

      From: John Green <dragonriders@...>
      Cathy,

      I have Reids in my mother's line, but I have full info on her direct
      line only. Here are a few candidates who may appear in the 1880
      census: These are the male children of Alexander and Mary Ann Trice
      Reed (Reid): John M. (bc1836), Jesse L. (bc1838), Joseph B. (bc1840),
      James (died in War Between the States at age 14), William (bc1850),
      Robert A., (b1852) married Martha Arleca Houston, Thomas (b1854).

      I don't know of any Carroll connection.

      John McCollum Green
      On Jan 21, 2008, at 11:41 AM, dobeworld@... wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am a new member and am working on the above mentioned lines in
      > Jackson
      > County.
      >
      > I am just uncovering information on my ancestor Woodie CARROLL, born
      > 1882 probably in Scottsboro, and his sister (Mrs. Henry) Ida CARROLL
      > HOOPER, born 1885, who, per Family Bible and lore were really REEDS.
      > It
      > is understood that they were orphaned as youngsters and were taken in
      > by
      > their mother's brother James I CARROLL/CARRELL and wife Mary/Mollie V
      > PATTERSON. Woodie is just married by 1900 Marshall census, but sister
      > Ida is living with James and Mary CARROLL in 1900 Jackson census.
      >
      > I have been trying to search 1880 census for REED/REIDS in Jackson who
      > might possibly be a candidate for father to these two children. I have
      > also been searching for any possible REED/CARROLL marriages, but to no
      > avail. Part of the family moves to TX in the early to mid 1900's.
      > Woodie's obit in 1967 TX gives no family information other than his
      > sister Ida HOOPER is living in Scottsboro, AL. I have found Ida buried
      > in the Aspel Church Cemetery as of 1976. I did find a death
      > certificate
      > for a James CARROLL who died in 1915 Jackson who may be my uncle, but
      > his age is a little younger than appeared from census. I have Mary's
      > certificate from 1945 in TX, confirming she was a PATTERSON (appears
      > be daughter of Sarah PATTERSON there in 1880 census).
      >
      > Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am happy
      > to share any information I have or find.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Cathy Carroll

    • John Green
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
        If they were married in Georgia and moved to Jackson County AL, none of
        the Reids I named are likely to be related. These Reids had been in
        the Estill Fork area since at least 1836 and came there from North
        Carolina.

        John McCollum Green

      • dobeworld@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
          Hello,

          I appreciate the postings on my topic.

          I found interesting the posting regarding Alexander Reid marrying a
          Trice, and the couple having a number of children in the area by the mid
          1800's. It has been my experience that folks tend to marry or move in
          groups. In the 1880 Jackson census I found a James Carroll, age 17,
          unable to read relationship, living and working with W J Trice, in the
          midst of several Trice families. Maybe this would be how his still
          unknown/missing sister became familiar with a Reid boy. This entry
          would fit the age of James and Mary there in the 1900, with the niece
          Ida living with them. I have not be able to pinpoint this James Carroll
          in an 1870 census with a sister.

          Another odd thing about the 1900 James/Mary Carroll census is the
          enumeration of a Felix Justice, age 17, as a brother. I haven't been
          able to determine if perhaps it should have stated boarder, or if James'
          or Mary's mothers remarried and had other children.

          1900 Jackson AL, Larkinsville
          Carrel James I Apr 1862 38 AL SC AL Head
          Mary May 1864 32 AL TN TN Wife (was a Patterson)
          Minnie D Jun 12 Al Al Al Dau
          " Jas C July 1891 8 " Son
          Wm O July 1894 5 " Son
          John R Oct 1898 1 " Son
          " Ida 1886 14 " Niece (Ida
          Reed/Reid)
          Justice, Felix 1883 17 Brother

          I don't know if James and Mary Patterson Carroll formally adopted his
          sister's Reed/Reid children or if these children just took the last name
          Carroll since they were living there....and it was their mother's name.

          I have looked at the family of Ben Carroll there in 1860 census and also
          some McCarrells. I notice the name Riley in one of Ben's children, and
          James named one of his sons John Riley. James Carroll had a first son
          James Cleveland (1891), William Oscar, John Riley, and Robert, with
          girls Minnie D, Della Mae, Maude and Flora. Obviously one wonders if a
          boy was named after James' father.

          Thank you,
          Cathy

        • Stirling Young

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
              I suppose it is possible it could be McCarrol/McCarrell; I certainly
              didn't want to rule that out. One is never totally confident of
              census enumeration or spelling. In the 1870 I find a James Carroll,
              possibly my guy. Then he is married and listed as Carrel in 1900. In
              1910 he is shown as McCarroll. All mentioned are in Jackson. Then,
              his widow moves to TX with a few of the children by the 1920 census
              and is thereafter enumerated as Carroll, and that is the spelling on
              her death cert.

              Cathy Carroll

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Stirling Young <c182c@...> wrote:

              > Could your James Carrol be McCarrol instead?
              >
              > dobeworld@... wrote: Hello,
              >
              > I appreciate the postings on my topic.
              >
              > I found interesting the posting regarding Alexander Reid marrying a
              > Trice, and the couple having a number of children in the area by the
              mid
              > 1800's. It has been my experience that folks tend to marry or move in
              > groups. In the 1880 Jackson census I found a James Carroll, age 17,
              > unable to read relationship, living and working with W J Trice, in the
              > midst of several Trice families. Maybe this would be how his still
              > unknown/missing sister became familiar with a Reid boy. This entry
              > would fit the age of James and Mary there in the 1900, with the niece
              > Ida living with them. I have not be able to pinpoint this James Carroll
              > in an 1870 census with a sister.
              >
              > Another odd thing about the 1900 James/Mary Carroll census is the
              > enumeration of a Felix Justice, age 17, as a brother. I haven't been
              > able to determine if perhaps it should have stated boarder, or if
              James'
              > or Mary's mothers remarried and had other children.
              >
              > 1900 Jackson AL, Larkinsville
              > Carrel James I Apr 1862 38 AL SC AL Head
              > Mary May 1864 32 AL TN TN Wife (was a Patterson)
              > Minnie D Jun 12 Al Al Al Dau
              > " Jas C July 1891 8 " Son
              > Wm O July 1894 5 " Son
              > John R Oct 1898 1 " Son
              > " Ida 1886 14 " Niece (Ida
              > Reed/Reid)
              > Justice, Felix 1883 17 Brother
              >
              > I don't know if James and Mary Patterson Carroll formally adopted his
              > sister's Reed/Reid children or if these children just took the last
              name
              > Carroll since they were living there....and it was their mother's name.
              >
              > I have looked at the family of Ben Carroll there in 1860 census and
              also
              > some McCarrells. I notice the name Riley in one of Ben's children, and
              > James named one of his sons John Riley. James Carroll had a first son
              > James Cleveland (1891), William Oscar, John Riley, and Robert, with
              > girls Minnie D, Della Mae, Maude and Flora. Obviously one wonders if a
              > boy was named after James' father.
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Cathy

            • Stirling Young
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                My grtgrandmother Nancy Jane Coyle had a brother James A.Mccarrel born 1852.Nancy and Walker Coyle moved to Dallas Tx about 1885.All thru the 1900's they lived on Deer St in Dallas.Do you have the area of the cencus for 1920?
                dixiedobie <dobeworld@...> wrote: I suppose it is possible it could be McCarrol/McCarrell; I certainly
                didn't want to rule that out. One is never totally confident of
                census enumeration or spelling. In the 1870 I find a James Carroll,
                possibly my guy. Then he is married and listed as Carrel in 1900. In
                1910 he is shown as McCarroll. All mentioned are in Jackson. Then,
                his widow moves to TX with a few of the children by the 1920 census
                and is thereafter enumerated as Carroll, and that is the spelling on
                her death cert.

                Cathy Carroll

                --- > >

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                  Hi,

                  James I CARROLL or MCCARROLL (per one census) died between the 1910 and
                  1920 Jackson census. Widow Mary/Mollie CARROLL and three children were
                  living in northeast TX, Red River County, in the 1920. This is the same
                  location as her nephew by marriage, Woodie REED/CARROLL.

                  Cathy

                • dobeworld@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                    Hi,

                    I have another question/thought on this in regard to an obituary. By
                    any chance does anyone have access to obituaries from the Scottsboro
                    area from 1976? I have tried to search online, with no luck, and also
                    looked at Jackson resources at my local library's genealogy department.

                    If an obit were available for Mrs. Henry R (Ida) REED/CARROLL HOOPER, it
                    might give information on her parents. Her brother's (Woodie) in TX
                    gave no parental information, just that he had a sister Ida still living
                    in Scottsboro, AL. She died on July 8, 1976, per SSDI and Aspel Church
                    Cemetery records online.

                    Thank you for any suggestions.

                    Cathy

                  • rgpipes@hughes.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                      Go to this web site and look at the burials. I think your Ida is buried
                      here. There is also some MMCCARROLL families buried there.

                      Regina

                      _____

                      I have another question/thought on this in regard to an obituary. By
                      any chance does anyone have access to obituaries from the Scottsboro
                      area from 1976? I have tried to search online, with no luck, and also
                      looked at Jackson resources at my local library's genealogy department.

                      If an obit were available for Mrs. Henry R (Ida) REED/CARROLL HOOPER, it
                      might give information on her parents. Her brother's (Woodie) in TX
                      gave no parental information, just that he had a sister Ida still living
                      in Scottsboro, AL. She died on July 8, 1976, per SSDI and Aspel Church
                      Cemetery records online.

                      Thank you for any suggestions.

                      Cathy

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      7:44 PM

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      7:44 PM

                    • rgpipes@hughes.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                        Web site for HOOPER burial.

                        HYPERLINK
                        "http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/al/jackson/cemeteries/aspel.txt"http:/

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 27, 2008
                          sarah patterson is my great grandmother

                          fhudson2@... wrote: My g-g-g-grandmother Sarah Reed married Lewis Morgan in Murray County Georgia in the 1840's and moved to Jackson County date unknown. Lewis was murdered after he returned from the war and his family , including my g-g grandfather Rufus Morgan moved to Chattanooga.
                          I haven't found much about sarah's family

                          From: John Green <dragonriders@...>
                          Cathy,

                          I have Reids in my mother's line, but I have full info on her direct
                          line only. Here are a few candidates who may appear in the 1880
                          census: These are the male children of Alexander and Mary Ann Trice
                          Reed (Reid): John M. (bc1836), Jesse L. (bc1838), Joseph B. (bc1840),
                          James (died in War Between the States at age 14), William (bc1850),
                          Robert A., (b1852) married Martha Arleca Houston, Thomas (b1854).

                          I don't know of any Carroll connection.

                          John McCollum Green
                          On Jan 21, 2008, at 11:41 AM, dobeworld@... wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I am a new member and am working on the above mentioned lines in
                          > Jackson
                          > County.
                          >
                          > I am just uncovering information on my ancestor Woodie CARROLL, born
                          > 1882 probably in Scottsboro, and his sister (Mrs. Henry) Ida CARROLL
                          > HOOPER, born 1885, who, per Family Bible and lore were really REEDS.
                          > It
                          > is understood that they were orphaned as youngsters and were taken in
                          > by
                          > their mother's brother James I CARROLL/CARRELL and wife Mary/Mollie V
                          > PATTERSON. Woodie is just married by 1900 Marshall census, but sister
                          > Ida is living with James and Mary CARROLL in 1900 Jackson census.
                          >
                          > I have been trying to search 1880 census for REED/REIDS in Jackson who
                          > might possibly be a candidate for father to these two children. I have
                          > also been searching for any possible REED/CARROLL marriages, but to no
                          > avail. Part of the family moves to TX in the early to mid 1900's.
                          > Woodie's obit in 1967 TX gives no family information other than his
                          > sister Ida HOOPER is living in Scottsboro, AL. I have found Ida buried
                          > in the Aspel Church Cemetery as of 1976. I did find a death
                          > certificate
                          > for a James CARROLL who died in 1915 Jackson who may be my uncle, but
                          > his age is a little younger than appeared from census. I have Mary's
                          > certificate from 1945 in TX, confirming she was a PATTERSON (appears
                          > be daughter of Sarah PATTERSON there in 1880 census).
                          >
                          > Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am happy
                          > to share any information I have or find.
                          >
                          > Sincerely,
                          > Cathy Carroll

                        • Stirling Young
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 28, 2008
                            Sorry,but I somehow missed the website with the Mccarrols.Please help me.thanks

                            rgpipes@... wrote: Go to this web site and look at the burials. I think your Ida is buried

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 29, 2008
                                This was already posted once. Been out of town so just now getting the
                                reply.
                                Sorry
                                Regina

                                _____