Francisco

  • cagle8185
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2008
      Francisco Alabama is on the Alabama side of the Tennessee stateline.
      At one time there were many new settlers in this area and the P.O.
      was at Larkin untill a P.O. was opened at Francisco.

      One of my Cagle ancesters delivered the mail up Larkin Fork Creek,
      from Larkin P.O. to the state line. People around here said in the
      winter he would return to Larkin, after his mail run, and would
      require help dismounting his horse because his boots would be frozen
      in the stirrups. Much of the trail, from Larkin to Francisco, was in
      the creek bed of the Larkin Fork and in high water horse and rider
      would get wet.

      The Greens, Riddles, Johnsons, Beavers, Huskeys, and Cagles lived
      here in the area across the state line and were the original Land
      Patent Owners as recoarded in the BLM.

      The Larkins were to the south and owned large tracks of land and
      started towns of Larkin and Larkin Fork and it is easy to see how the
      name Larkin was started.

      Nothing I can find gives me a clue of how Francisco was started. If
      I go on line the information tells how Joe V. Cagle from Francisco
      helped build the Cocord Church in New Market but nothing about
      Francisco. Joe Valentine Cagle was my ggrandfather and married
      Lucinda Howard from New Market.

      Francisco is still on the map but Larkin is listed in "Dead Towns of
      Alabama".

      Any info will help.

      Bill Cagle
    • Jewel Casey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2008
        In the History Of Jackson County, AL by John Robert Kennamer, SR 1993, page 143:
        Up at the state line on Larkin's Fork, is Post Office Francisco. The posy office was established in 1875. M.H. Rich was the first postmaster. This town was named for Dr. Francisco Rice, who was a Captain in the Confederate Army and was also our State Senator during the Civil War. His home was down near Paint Rock, Ala, on the east side of the river.
        ***

        Dr. Rice was born Dec, 6, 1822 and died Jan. 20, 1896; buried at Rice cemetery at New Market, AL. He was a Captain in Starnes-McLemore 4th TN Inf. Reg. Company K. He met with a bunch of men at Hollytree in 1861 and went to war with them. My grandfather David Wesley Hambrick was one of those men who fought two years with Captain Rice. David Wesley Hambrick born 1831, died 1917 is buried at Mt. Nebo near Princeton, Jackson County, AL.

        Sure hope this helps
        Jewel D. (Hambrick) Graham Casey

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
          Jewel,

          Thank you very much. Do you have a source for more info? I live 3 miles
          south of old PO. This area was called Harmony on the old maps and was a small
          settlement but no PO.

          Bill Cagle

        • John Green
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
            Bill,

            I don't know much to add. I do know Francisco did not exist until
            after 1865 since it is named for a Confederate officer who served with
            valor. His sword hung on the wall of Green's Store in Francisco for
            many years. I'm sure you also know that after the Francisco Post
            Office was created, my grandfather Charlie Green was Postmaster and
            after his death, his wife Sally became Post Mistress until the Office
            was closed (I think in the '70s).

            John McCollum Green
            On Jan 21, 2008, at 12:59 PM, cagle8185 wrote:

            > Francisco Alabama is on the Alabama side of the Tennessee stateline.
            > At one time there were many new settlers in this area and the P.O.
            > was at Larkin untill a P.O. was opened at Francisco.
            >
            > One of my Cagle ancesters delivered the mail up Larkin Fork Creek,
            > from Larkin P.O. to the state line. People around here said in the
            > winter he would return to Larkin, after his mail run, and would
            > require help dismounting his horse because his boots would be frozen
            > in the stirrups. Much of the trail, from Larkin to Francisco, was in
            > the creek bed of the Larkin Fork and in high water horse and rider
            > would get wet.
            >
            > The Greens, Riddles, Johnsons, Beavers, Huskeys, and Cagles lived
            > here in the area across the state line and were the original Land
            > Patent Owners as recoarded in the BLM.
            >
            > The Larkins were to the south and owned large tracks of land and
            > started towns of Larkin and Larkin Fork and it is easy to see how the
            > name Larkin was started.
            >
            > Nothing I can find gives me a clue of how Francisco was started. If
            > I go on line the information tells how Joe V. Cagle from Francisco
            > helped build the Cocord Church in New Market but nothing about
            > Francisco. Joe Valentine Cagle was my ggrandfather and married
            > Lucinda Howard from New Market.
            >
            > Francisco is still on the map but Larkin is listed in "Dead Towns of
            > Alabama".
            >
            > Any info will help.
            >
            > Bill Cagle

          • Jewel Casey
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
              No, I don't. For some reason when the Heritage of Jackson County, AL was done that entire section of Jackson county was left out. I guess because they couldn't get anyone to get information on it. Captain Francisco Rice was also our State Senator during the Civil War who also lived down near Paint Rock, Ala., on the east side of the river.

              I was born at the foot of Anderson-Putman Mountain near Princeton June 18, 1931 and always knew of Francisco because people rode the mail truck from Princeton to Huntland, TN a lot. And a lot of my relatives, Fanning and Green and others live through that area, but I don't know of other sources of printed info. I'm sorry, wish I could help you more.

            • rgpipes@hughes.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
                There is a lot of GREENS buried in McAnelly Cemetery off hwy 35 close to the
                BB Comer bridge in Scottsboro. I know that there is at least one James W
                GREEN. It is an old cemetery.
                Regina

                _____

                I don't know much to add. I do know Francisco did not exist until
                after 1865 since it is named for a Confederate officer who served with
                valor. His sword hung on the wall of Green's Store in Francisco for
                many years. I'm sure you also know that after the Francisco Post
                Office was created, my grandfather Charlie Green was Postmaster and
                after his death, his wife Sally became Post Mistress until the Office
                was closed (I think in the '70s).

                John McCollum Green
                On Jan 21, 2008, at 12:59 PM, cagle8185 wrote:

                > Francisco Alabama is on the Alabama side of the Tennessee stateline.
                > At one time there were many new settlers in this area and the P.O.
                > was at Larkin untill a P.O. was opened at Francisco.
                >
                > One of my Cagle ancesters delivered the mail up Larkin Fork Creek,
                > from Larkin P.O. to the state line. People around here said in the
                > winter he would return to Larkin, after his mail run, and would
                > require help dismounting his horse because his boots would be frozen
                > in the stirrups. Much of the trail, from Larkin to Francisco, was in
                > the creek bed of the Larkin Fork and in high water horse and rider
                > would get wet.
                >
                > The Greens, Riddles, Johnsons, Beavers, Huskeys, and Cagles lived
                > here in the area across the state line and were the original Land
                > Patent Owners as recoarded in the BLM.
                >
                > The Larkins were to the south and owned large tracks of land and
                > started towns of Larkin and Larkin Fork and it is easy to see how the
                > name Larkin was started.
                >
                > Nothing I can find gives me a clue of how Francisco was started. If
                > I go on line the information tells how Joe V. Cagle from Francisco
                > helped build the Cocord Church in New Market but nothing about
                > Francisco. Joe Valentine Cagle was my ggrandfather and married
                > Lucinda Howard from New Market.
                >
                > Francisco is still on the map but Larkin is listed in "Dead Towns of
                > Alabama".
                >
                > Any info will help.
                >
                > Bill Cagle

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                9:39 AM

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                9:39 AM

              • mark thomas

                  I don't know much to add. I do know Francisco did not exist until
                  after 1865 since it is named for a Confederate officer who served with
                  valor. His sword hung on the wall of Green's Store in Francisco for
                  many years. I'm sure you also know that after the Francisco Post
                  Office was created, my grandfather Charlie Green was Postmaster and
                  after his death, his wife Sally became Post Mistress until the Office
                  was closed (I think in the '70s).

                  John McCollum Green
                  On Jan 21, 2008, at 12:59 PM, cagle8185 wrote:

                  > Francisco Alabama is on the Alabama side of the Tennessee stateline.
                  > At one time there were many new settlers in this area and the P.O.
                  > was at Larkin untill a P.O. was opened at Francisco.
                  >
                  > One of my Cagle ancesters delivered the mail up Larkin Fork Creek,
                  > from Larkin P.O. to the state line. People around here said in the
                  > winter he would return to Larkin, after his mail run, and would
                  > require help dismounting his horse because his boots would be frozen
                  > in the stirrups. Much of the trail, from Larkin to Francisco, was in
                  > the creek bed of the Larkin Fork and in high water horse and rider
                  > would get wet.
                  >
                  > The Greens, Riddles, Johnsons, Beavers, Huskeys, and Cagles lived
                  > here in the area across the state line and were the original Land
                  > Patent Owners as recoarded in the BLM.
                  >
                  > The Larkins were to the south and owned large tracks of land and
                  > started towns of Larkin and Larkin Fork and it is easy to see how the
                  > name Larkin was started.
                  >
                  > Nothing I can find gives me a clue of how Francisco was started. If
                  > I go on line the information tells how Joe V. Cagle from Francisco
                  > helped build the Cocord Church in New Market but nothing about
                  > Francisco. Joe Valentine Cagle was my ggrandfather and married
                  > Lucinda Howard from New Market.
                  >
                  > Francisco is still on the map but Larkin is listed in "Dead Towns of
                  > Alabama".
                  >
                  > Any info will help.
                  >
                  > Bill Cagle

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.