Martin Gay / Maxwell Line

  • madolyn jysele
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2008
      There was someone requesting info on Martin Gay - the son of Martha Maxwell and Thomas Gay of Jackson County, Al. I did not see the posting, if someone out there can put me in touch with the person that did the posting for Martin Gay, I would appreciate it. Madolyn

    • lewatkins
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
        Madolyn, some years ago, Kristi Keadle - Baxter had a msge ( Re: Gay Massey) on here that was something like the following:
        " I'm related through Martin J. GAY the oldest son of Thomas Gay & Martha MAXWELL. Martin mar. Julie Weiss O'Neal after fighting with several different companies in the Cival War. I descend through his son Joseph Martin. Joseph's dau. Alice Martha Gay was my grandmother."
        Back then, probably five/six years ago her e-addy was: kristi@...
        She may still have that addy.
        Hope this helps,
        Mary (:))
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2008
          Hi,

          I saw your post on another website re: Thomas Gay and
          Martha Maxwell.

          Thought you might be interested in this if you don't
          have it already.

          Louise Carver Howard
          Dade County, GA

          Jackson County Alabama
          Cemeteries
          http://www.idreamof.com/cemetery/al/jackson.html
          ***********************

          http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/al/jackson/cemeteries/maxwell.txt

          MAXWELL CEMETERY, JACKSON COUNTY, ALABAMA

          USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with the USGenWeb policy
          of providing free information on the Internet, this
          data
          may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as
          this
          message remains on all copied material. These
          electronic
          pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or

          other gain. Copying of the files within by
          non-commercial
          individuals and libraries is encouraged.

          ALGenWeb File Manager - Lygia Dawkins Cutts
          <Cuttstree@...>

          Contributed by Jane Nichols ren@...
          August 1999

          TURN LEFT OFF HWY. 117 ONTO CO. RD. 14, TURN LEFT ON
          CO. RD. 414, THE CEMETERY IS ON
          THE RIGHT.

          SGT MASON GAY 7-4-1894 5-21-1919
          CO 147 TRANSPORT CORPS
          ********************

          --- madolyn jysele <madolynjysele@...> wrote:

          > There was someone requesting info on Martin Gay -
          > the son of Martha Maxwell and Thomas Gay of Jackson
          > County, Al. I did not see the posting, if someone
          > out there can put me in touch with the person that
          > did the posting for Martin Gay, I would appreciate
          > it. Madolyn

          > removed]

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Brenda Lillard
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
            How can I find a marriage cert from the 90's in Jackson County? There house burned. Thanks for any help Brenda L
            I saw your post on another website re: Thomas Gay and
            Martha Maxwell.

            Thought you might be interested in this if you don't
            have it already.

            Louise Carver Howard
            Dade County, GA

            Jackson County Alabama
            Cemeteries
            http://www.idreamof.com/cemetery/al/jackson.html
            ***********************

            http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/al/jackson/cemeteries/maxwell.txt

            MAXWELL CEMETERY, JACKSON COUNTY, ALABAMA

            USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with the USGenWeb policy
            of providing free information on the Internet, this
            data
            may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as
            this
            message remains on all copied material. These
            electronic
            pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or

            other gain. Copying of the files within by
            non-commercial
            individuals and libraries is encouraged.

            ALGenWeb File Manager - Lygia Dawkins Cutts
            <Cuttstree@...>

            Contributed by Jane Nichols ren@...
            August 1999

            TURN LEFT OFF HWY. 117 ONTO CO. RD. 14, TURN LEFT ON
            CO. RD. 414, THE CEMETERY IS ON
            THE RIGHT.

            SGT MASON GAY 7-4-1894 5-21-1919
            CO 147 TRANSPORT CORPS
            ********************

            --- madolyn jysele <madolynjysele@...> wrote:

            > There was someone requesting info on Martin Gay -
            > the son of Martha Maxwell and Thomas Gay of Jackson
            > County, Al. I did not see the posting, if someone
            > out there can put me in touch with the person that
            > did the posting for Martin Gay, I would appreciate
            > it. Madolyn

            > removed]

          • frances_lambert2000
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
              They are at the courthouse in the probate office.

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda Lillard"
              <Brendal@...> wrote:

              > How can I find a marriage cert from the 90's in Jackson County?
              There house burned. Thanks for any help Brenda L

            • James and Barbara Dooley
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                Are there any volunteers on our list who will look up marriage records from Jackson co., AL? If so, I would really appreciate a lookup for the marriage of my grandfather, William Jonas (Billy) Wilson and his second wife, Rachel Clark. According to their 1910 census record, they were probably married in 1902.

                Thanks,
                Barbara Dooley
                Cullowhee, NC

              • Altafae
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Barbara,

                  I was unable to locate any marriages from the Alabama Marriage Collection 1807 - 1969 that is on Ancestry the closes I got is listed below. Is Clark her maiden name, was she married before Wm Wilson; did they marry in another state, say like Tennessee. What part of the county did they live in - I thought it was interesting in 1825 a Clark married a Wilson, so I though you might be interested. If we can get some more detail, like ages or what page your census is on it should tell you the marriage status, and the years married, also it should state if the children are from one wife or the other. Let me know and I will be happy to look at what Ancestry might have on this.

                  Jimmie Ryan
                  Elijah Brazier b 1776 NC (1830 Blount, Alabama)
                  Elijah Brazier b 1800 SC (1830 Blount, Alabama)
                  George Washington Brashear b 1854 (Maynards Cove, Jackson, Alabama)

                  Alabama Marriage Collection, 1800-1969

                  Name: Sallie M Isbell
                  Spouse: Wm J Wilson
                  Marriage Date: 28 Dec 1892
                  County: Jackson
                  State: Alabama
                  Performed By Title: Minister of the Gospel
                  Performed by Name: M Isbell
                  Source information: Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research

                  Alabama Marriage Collection, 1800-1969

                  Name: William Wilson
                  Spouse: India Clark
                  Marriage Date: 5 Oct 1825
                  County: Lauderdale
                  State: Alabama
                  Performed By Title: Justice of the Peace
                  Performed by Name: John H Corrish
                  Source information: Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research

                  U.S. Census > 1910 United States Federal Census > Alabama > Jackson > Woodville > District 35: Ancestry page 1: Farm: 31:31

                  Wilson, William J Head 41 M W 41 M1 17 AL AL AL Farmer
                  Wilson, Sallie Wife F W 41 M1 17 8 5 AL AL AL
                  Wilson, Percy Son M W 15 S AL AL AL
                  Wilson, Jesse Son M W 13 S AL AL AL
                  Wilson, Ruth Daughter F W 7 S AL AL AL
                  Wilson, Hugh Son M W 4 S AL AL AL
                  Wilson, Fanny Daughter F W 4 AL AL AL

                  U.S. Census > 1910 United States Federal Census > Alabama > Jackson > Harmony > District 37: Ancestry page 6: Farm: 229:229

                  Wilson, William J Head M W 50 M2 3 AL AL AL Farmer
                  Wilson, Anna [Sisk] Wife F W 23 M1 3 2 2 AL AL AL
                  Wilson, Early T Son M W 2 S TN AL AL
                  Wilson, Pearlie M Daughter F W 10/12 S AL AL AL
                  Sisk, Laston M [Larkin?] Father-In-Law M W 56 M1 34 AL AL AL
                  Sisk, Emma Mother-In-Law F W 51 M1 34 AL TN AL
                  Sisk, Betty J Sister-In-Law F W 14 S AL AL AL

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Thank you so much for trying to help, Jimmie. Interesting that there were
                    so many William J. Wilsons. My grandfather was first married in McMinn
                    Co., TN, to Nancy Ann Clark. In the late 1890s they moved to Jackson Co.,
                    AL, probably to be near his older sister and her family, Sam and Jane
                    Wilson Line. Nancy died in childbirth "on the way to AL," according to my
                    aunt. In the 1900 census, Billy, his children, and his mother are listed
                    in Grosse Precincte 29, P. 58B. By 1910 he and the children had moved back
                    to TN, this time to Hamilton Co. His mother must have died in the
                    meantime, and he was married to Rachel Clark, daughter of Thomas B. and
                    Susanna Keith Clark; as far as we know, no relation to his first
                    wife. They also lived in Grosse precinct 29 in 1900. The 1910 census
                    shows that Rachel and Billy had been married 8 years. Supposedly, they
                    were married in Flat Rock, AL; that, also is according to my aunt who was
                    about 11 years old at the time. Rachel had one child, only, which was
                    stillborn.

                    Thanks for offering to search Ancestry, but I'm a subscriber to that, also.
                    I think I just need to get down to the courthouse in Jackson Co.!

                    Barbara

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                      The way I wrote one sentence in the message below left my meaning very
                      unclear! . . ."he was married to Rachel Clark, daughter of Thomas B. and
                      Susanna Keith Clark; as far as we know, no relation to his first wife. They
                      also lived in Grosse precinct 29 in 1900." "they" referred to Thomas B.,
                      Susanna, Rachel, and her siblings.
                      Barbara