Re: [jacksongenealogy] STEPHENS (WAS: Re: 1862 DIARY)

  • Altafae
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2008
      Thank you for this, I continue to look for the parents of Elizabeth Stephens, born 1822 AL - the only Stephens family in this area with a daughter of her age is William Stephens; my Stephens are related to Ellis Stephens, who's son's married one of my ancestor, Elijah Brazier b 1800 SC daughters. Elizabeth Stephens was born Jan 1822 in Woodville, Alabama and married Elijah Brazier in 1842. The odd thing is that they will live in the same area as John Stephens. We have never been able to understand the relationship between Elizabeth Stephens and Solomon Stephens (son of Ellis), I do know that one of Solomon's great grandsons will be a Circuit Judge in Dallas Texas. He is presently in a nursing home in Dallas, with two sons who are also judges today. This Stephens was born around the turn of the century in Dallas Texas, my family of Stephens moved into Bowie Texas around 1883 when Elizabeth "Miss Betsy" died in Jackson County. (she had remarried for a second time to William Messer).

      It appears that we have the same line, yet these periods between 1830 and 1850 when Elizabeth appears with Elijah for the first time as a wife with her children listed in that census, she is though next door in Solomon Stephens home caring for there newborn children, and it would appear to some that Elijah married his oldest daughter who was also born in 1822 and was named Elizabeth. The daughter at the end of the household is really a man and named Elijah III, who would become the Cotton King of Texas in Grass Valley.

      In a nut shell do you know of any information on the children of William H Stephens who married Sarah Phillips?

      Jimmie Ryan
      Elijah Brazier, b 1800 SC / Elizabeth Stephens b 1822 AL

      In a message dated 01/14/08 06:54:35 Pacific Standard Time, Malbuff writes:
      Priscilla Larkin married Absolom Stephens March 6, 1867,
      in Jackson county. According to the old MEMORIAL
      RECORD OF ALABAMA, he was born at Bolivar and was
      "a merchant and traveling man." He served as captain and
      quartermaster of the 55th Alabama, Colonel Snodgrass'
      brigade. He is mentioned twice in Priscilla's diary; both
      entries make it fairly clear that he was considered a suitor.

      We believe, with no direct proof but a great deal of
      circumstantial evidence, that Absolom was the son of
      John B Stephens (1797-1871?), and grandson of Josiah
      Stephens (1771-1848), both natives of South Carolina who
      settled in Jackson county during the 1830s.

      This line of the Stephens family descends from Henry
      Stephens, who came to America as a young man in the
      1660s and settled at Stonington, Conn. His father, Nicholas,
      had fought with Cromwell. It was Nicholas who changed the
      spelling of the family name to STEVENS and generated no
      small amount of controversy down through the years.

      Absolom's grandfather, Josiah, was likely among those who
      settled near Stephens Gap, between Larkinsville and
      Woodville. He died in Jackson county in 1848.

      Absolom's father, John B, married Margaret Snodgrass,
      sister to the Snodgrass brothers (Thomas, John, Benjamin)
      who settled at Bellefonte. Margaret's nephew, and therefore
      Absolom's first cousin, was Colonel John Snodgrass.

      John B Stephens was a 1812 War veteran who had served
      with then-Colonel Andrew Jackson, and was a member of
      the Jackson county committee of vigilance. He was known as
      "Major" Stephens.

      John B Stephens left Alabama for Texas in the 1850s,
      along with much of his family. Two sons, Joshua and William,
      were lawyers in the town of Mount Pleasant, in Titus county.
      Another son, Thomas, served in the Confederate medical corps
      and was a doctor after the war. Thomas married Mollie Stewart,
      daughter of Indian fighter and Titus county founder Charles
      Stewart. John B Stephens was an old Indian fighter himself and
      certainly would have known Stewart. He is in the 1870 census
      but not the 1880 census, leading us to believe he probably
      passed away during that interval.

      Descendants of John B Stephens include several namesakes.
      One, the first sheriff in Mount Pleasant, has a lake and dam
      named after him. His son was a well-known Texas wildcat
      oilman who struck it rich in the 1930s.

      Absolom Stephens was widowed when Priscilla died in February
      1868. Their infant son, William Larkin Stephens, was raised in
      the home of Priscilla's brother, William Rutledge Larkin. Young
      William inherited what was left of his grandfather David Larkin's
      once-vast estate. He used it to buy land and go to Cumberland
      College, where he earned a law degree in 1887. He served as
      Judge of the court at Bridgeport during the 1890s, then moved to
      Washington, D.C..

      Absolom Stephens died in Jackson county in 1890. His son,
      Judge Stephens, died at Washington in 1927. His son, David
      McClung Stephens, died childless in 1971. I am descended from
      these people through my grandmother, Margaret Elizabeth
      Stephens, daughter of Judge William Larkin Stephens.

      NOTE: Be aware there was an Absalom (note the spelling)
      Stephens from Big Coon, born in 1849, living in Jackson county
      during the 1860s and 1870s. Some rootsweb sites have him listed
      as Priscilla's husband. He wasn't.

      NOTE: The "Stephens v. Stevens" imbroglio came about when
      Nicholas Stephens, a Puritan fearing retribution by royalists after the
      Restoration, left England in a hurry. A descendant of 600-plus years
      of English nobility, he changed the spelling of his name to the
      commoner's appellation, Stevens, in order to get out of the country
      without being detected. Some years later a son, perhaps Henry
      Stevens, returned to England to claim a share of his father's estate.
      A contemporary account tells us, "(He) prosecuted for and obtained
      a decree for his share of the property, but in signing the receipt he
      wrote his name 'Stevens', when the attorney for the crown declared
      him an imposter, as the English records were spelled 'Stephens',
      so the Judge ruled him out. He came home and so reported."

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      David do you have much on Stevens side of her family line?

      Jimmie Ryan
      Elijah Brazier b 1800 SC?and Elizabeth "Miss Betsy" Stephens b 1822 AL; after his death in 1859 she would marry William Messer and die in Jackson County in 1883.

      Priscilla Larkin Stephens