GEORGE WASHINGTON HIGGINS who married Nancy Smith in 1814

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2008
      Is anyone researching the family of George Washington Higgins, Sr. who married Nancy Smith in 1814. In the early 1820s, they were co-founders of Bellefonte along with Stephen and Sarah (Lewis) Carter? George Washington Higgins, Sr. was born April 1785 and died in September 1835. Nancy (Smith) Higgins was born July 23, 1784, and died Sptember 1835. Both are said to have died in Morgan Co, AL.
      Their children were:
      1. Mary Eleanor Higgins, born Feb 19, 1815
      2. Margaret Higgins, born Aug 1816
      3. Joseph W. Higgins, born March 25, 1818
      4. George W. Higgins, Jr., born Mar 23, 1820
      5. James W. Higgins, born Nov 19, 1822
      6. Henry L. Higgins born Sep 3, 1824
      7. Nancy Ramey Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
      8. Robert W. Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
      9. William Joseph Higgins, born May 21, 1828
      10. John Young Higgins, born Jan 3, 1830
      11. Silas Parsons Higgins, born Dec 30, 1831
      12. Frances Elizabeth Higgins, born Dec 28, 1833

      As you can see, most of the children were minors at the time of their parents' death in 1835. What happened to these children after the death of their parents? WHERE WERE THEY in 1840???
      In 1850, I found John Y. Higgins (born 1830) in Madison Co, AL, enumerated as a store clerk. Nancy Higgins (born 1826) was living with Jacob Tipton and Louisiana (Taul) Bradford in Talladega Co, AL, in 1850. William Jospeh Higgins (born 1828) was living with David Larkin and was enumerated as a school teacher in 1850 census. Silas Parsons Higgins (born 1831) was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy according to the 1850 Orange Co, NY census.
      IF YOU know anything about any of these children, please share with me.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Malbuff
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
        Ann, I have not been researching the Higgins, though we
        are kin. I may do so some day.

        However, I can tell you about child no. 12, Frances Elisabeth
        Higgins. She married William Rutledge Larkin (b. 1830) , son
        of David Larkin, sometime between 1850 and 1860. They
        lived at Larkinsville and raised four children of their own, as well
        as my great-grandfather, William Larkin Stephens. He was the
        orphan son of Priscilla Larkin Stephens.

        She was known familiarly as "Lizzie". Priscilla mentions her
        frequently in her diary (October 2, e.g.). To our family , she was
        known as "Granny Larkin". She kept in touch with Judge Stephens
        and family after they moved to Washington, D.C.. My grandmother
        told us that "Granny" visited them once at Washington, riding the
        Southern Railway all the way from Alabama. This would have
        been the early 1900s, when she was close to 70. Mr Larkin had
        died in 1899.

        She died May 22, 1907, at Larkinsville. Her son, also William
        Rutledge Larkin and familiarly known as Rutledge Larkin, was a
        well-known citizen of Scottsboro, to where he had moved about
        1910. There's a street named after him in Scottsboro. His death
        in 1951 made the front page of the JACKSON COUNTY SENTINEL.

        Thank you for the information about G W Higgins and wife. Any
        idea where they were born? Any ideas about the circumstances of
        their death?

        Glory to God,

        David Malbuff
        Strasburg, Virginia

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
          I believe William Joseph Higgins, listed as a schoolteacher and
          living in David Larkin's home in 1850, was probably one of two
          full-time tutors employed by Mr Larkin for the education of his nine
          children. I forget the name of the other fellow. He's in the
          household for the 1850 census too.

          Glory to God,

          David Malbuff
          Strasburg, Virginia

[...]

        • chamac45
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 24 9:50 AM
            Ann this is a old post but I stumbled across it. The 2nd Wife of William Walker McCutchen Jr. was a Mary Eleanor Higgins. They married 20 June 1837 in Guntersville. I believe she is buried there with him at McCamy Cemetery. This sounds like the oldest of you missing children. We were connected to the Larkins too.

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

            > Is anyone researching the family of George Washington Higgins, Sr. who married Nancy Smith in 1814. In the early 1820s, they were co-founders of Bellefonte along with Stephen and Sarah (Lewis) Carter? George Washington Higgins, Sr. was born April 1785 and died in September 1835. Nancy (Smith) Higgins was born July 23, 1784, and died Sptember 1835. Both are said to have died in Morgan Co, AL.
            > Their children were:
            > 1. Mary Eleanor Higgins, born Feb 19, 1815
            > 2. Margaret Higgins, born Aug 1816
            > 3. Joseph W. Higgins, born March 25, 1818
            > 4. George W. Higgins, Jr., born Mar 23, 1820
            > 5. James W. Higgins, born Nov 19, 1822
            > 6. Henry L. Higgins born Sep 3, 1824
            > 7. Nancy Ramey Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
            > 8. Robert W. Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
            > 9. William Joseph Higgins, born May 21, 1828
            > 10. John Young Higgins, born Jan 3, 1830
            > 11. Silas Parsons Higgins, born Dec 30, 1831
            > 12. Frances Elizabeth Higgins, born Dec 28, 1833
            >
            > As you can see, most of the children were minors at the time of their parents' death in 1835. What happened to these children after the death of their parents? WHERE WERE THEY in 1840???
            > In 1850, I found John Y. Higgins (born 1830) in Madison Co, AL, enumerated as a store clerk. Nancy Higgins (born 1826) was living with Jacob Tipton and Louisiana (Taul) Bradford in Talladega Co, AL, in 1850. William Jospeh Higgins (born 1828) was living with David Larkin and was enumerated as a school teacher in 1850 census. Silas Parsons Higgins (born 1831) was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy according to the 1850 Orange Co, NY census.
            > IF YOU know anything about any of these children, please share with me.
            > Ann B. Chambless

          • chamac45
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 24 10:26 AM
              I mistakenly listed Mary Eleanor Higgins as the 2nd wife. She was the first wife of Wm. Walker McCutchen Jr. Also I believe there are extra people in the 1840 Census in their household. These extra people could be some of Mary Eleanor Higgins siblings. The census lists 6 people under 20 and by then they only had 1 or 2 children.

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

              > Is anyone researching the family of George Washington Higgins, Sr. who married Nancy Smith in 1814. In the early 1820s, they were co-founders of Bellefonte along with Stephen and Sarah (Lewis) Carter? George Washington Higgins, Sr. was born April 1785 and died in September 1835. Nancy (Smith) Higgins was born July 23, 1784, and died Sptember 1835. Both are said to have died in Morgan Co, AL.
              > Their children were:
              > 1. Mary Eleanor Higgins, born Feb 19, 1815
              > 2. Margaret Higgins, born Aug 1816
              > 3. Joseph W. Higgins, born March 25, 1818
              > 4. George W. Higgins, Jr., born Mar 23, 1820
              > 5. James W. Higgins, born Nov 19, 1822
              > 6. Henry L. Higgins born Sep 3, 1824
              > 7. Nancy Ramey Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
              > 8. Robert W. Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
              > 9. William Joseph Higgins, born May 21, 1828
              > 10. John Young Higgins, born Jan 3, 1830
              > 11. Silas Parsons Higgins, born Dec 30, 1831
              > 12. Frances Elizabeth Higgins, born Dec 28, 1833
              >
              > As you can see, most of the children were minors at the time of their parents' death in 1835. What happened to these children after the death of their parents? WHERE WERE THEY in 1840???
              > In 1850, I found John Y. Higgins (born 1830) in Madison Co, AL, enumerated as a store clerk. Nancy Higgins (born 1826) was living with Jacob Tipton and Louisiana (Taul) Bradford in Talladega Co, AL, in 1850. William Jospeh Higgins (born 1828) was living with David Larkin and was enumerated as a school teacher in 1850 census. Silas Parsons Higgins (born 1831) was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy according to the 1850 Orange Co, NY census.
              > IF YOU know anything about any of these children, please share with me.
              > Ann B. Chambless

            • Roger Burbank
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 24 12:30 PM
                Hi Ann.  Roger out in Oregon.  I have William Walker Jr's probate records.  I will look.  I know the Tipton name also connecting to Williams and Mccutchen.  Roger

                ________________________________
                I mistakenly listed Mary Eleanor Higgins as the 2nd wife. She was the first wife of Wm. Walker McCutchen Jr. Also I believe there are extra people in the 1840 Census in their household. These extra people could be some of Mary Eleanor Higgins siblings. The census lists 6 people under 20 and by then they only had 1 or 2 children.

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

                > Is anyone researching the family of George Washington Higgins, Sr. who married Nancy Smith in 1814. In the early 1820s, they were co-founders of Bellefonte along with Stephen and Sarah (Lewis) Carter? George Washington Higgins, Sr. was born April 1785 and died in September 1835. Nancy (Smith) Higgins was born July 23, 1784, and died Sptember 1835. Both are said to have died in Morgan Co, AL.
                > Their children were:
                > 1. Mary Eleanor Higgins, born Feb 19, 1815
                > 2. Margaret Higgins, born Aug 1816
                > 3. Joseph W. Higgins, born March 25, 1818
                > 4. George W. Higgins, Jr., born Mar 23, 1820
                > 5. James W. Higgins, born Nov 19, 1822
                > 6. Henry L. Higgins born Sep 3, 1824
                > 7. Nancy Ramey Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
                > 8. Robert W. Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
                > 9. William Joseph Higgins, born May 21, 1828
                > 10. John Young Higgins, born Jan 3, 1830
                > 11. Silas Parsons Higgins, born Dec 30, 1831
                > 12. Frances Elizabeth Higgins, born Dec 28, 1833
                >
                > As you can see, most of the children were minors at the time of their parents' death in 1835. What happened to these children after the death of their parents? WHERE WERE THEY in 1840???
                > In 1850, I found John Y. Higgins (born 1830) in Madison Co, AL, enumerated as a store clerk. Nancy Higgins (born 1826) was living with Jacob Tipton and Louisiana (Taul) Bradford in Talladega Co, AL, in 1850. William Jospeh Higgins (born 1828) was living with David Larkin and was enumerated as a school teacher in 1850 census. Silas Parsons Higgins (born 1831) was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy according to the 1850 Orange Co, NY census.
                > IF YOU know anything about any of these children, please share with me.
                > Ann B. Chambless

              • Roger Burbank
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 24 12:31 PM
                  Well I read the whole post lol guess you don't need anything on the Mcc.

                  ________________________________
                  I mistakenly listed Mary Eleanor Higgins as the 2nd wife. She was the first wife of Wm. Walker McCutchen Jr. Also I believe there are extra people in the 1840 Census in their household. These extra people could be some of Mary Eleanor Higgins siblings. The census lists 6 people under 20 and by then they only had 1 or 2 children.

                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

                  > Is anyone researching the family of George Washington Higgins, Sr. who married Nancy Smith in 1814. In the early 1820s, they were co-founders of Bellefonte along with Stephen and Sarah (Lewis) Carter? George Washington Higgins, Sr. was born April 1785 and died in September 1835. Nancy (Smith) Higgins was born July 23, 1784, and died Sptember 1835. Both are said to have died in Morgan Co, AL.
                  > Their children were:
                  > 1. Mary Eleanor Higgins, born Feb 19, 1815
                  > 2. Margaret Higgins, born Aug 1816
                  > 3. Joseph W. Higgins, born March 25, 1818
                  > 4. George W. Higgins, Jr., born Mar 23, 1820
                  > 5. James W. Higgins, born Nov 19, 1822
                  > 6. Henry L. Higgins born Sep 3, 1824
                  > 7. Nancy Ramey Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
                  > 8. Robert W. Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
                  > 9. William Joseph Higgins, born May 21, 1828
                  > 10. John Young Higgins, born Jan 3, 1830
                  > 11. Silas Parsons Higgins, born Dec 30, 1831
                  > 12. Frances Elizabeth Higgins, born Dec 28, 1833
                  >
                  > As you can see, most of the children were minors at the time of their parents' death in 1835. What happened to these children after the death of their parents? WHERE WERE THEY in 1840???
                  > In 1850, I found John Y. Higgins (born 1830) in Madison Co, AL, enumerated as a store clerk. Nancy Higgins (born 1826) was living with Jacob Tipton and Louisiana (Taul) Bradford in Talladega Co, AL, in 1850. William Jospeh Higgins (born 1828) was living with David Larkin and was enumerated as a school teacher in 1850 census. Silas Parsons Higgins (born 1831) was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy according to the 1850 Orange Co, NY census.
                  > IF YOU know anything about any of these children, please share with me.
                  > Ann B. Chambless

                • David Malbuff
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 28 12:33 PM
                     Frances Elizabeth Higgins is my great-great-aunt; she married William Rutledge Larkin, eldest son of David Larkin.

                    I would expect most of these children were taken in by family after 1835; unfortunately the 1840 census only enumerated children. By 1850 most would have been grown.

                    I'll see if I can find "Lizzie", or "Granny Larkin" as our family knew her, in 1850 when she was 17.  Her brother William, as Ms Chambless mentions, was a live-in tutor for the Larkin children.

                    It appears both G W Higgins and wife died at the same time. It would be most interesting to know what happened.

                    Glory to God,

                    David Malbuff
                    Strasburg, Virginia

                  • Charles McCutchen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 28 7:26 PM
                       There appears to be a obit for G.W. Higgins.

                      Name:Gen. George W. Higgins
                      Death Date:Abt 1835
                      Publication Title:The Democrat
                      Publication or Record Date:30 Sep 1835
                      Publication or Record Place:Alabama, United States
                      URL:http://obits.hmcpl.org/index/g...%c2%a0

                      It appears you can order it for $5 but you might be able to find it at the Huntsville library.

                      http://obits.hmcpl.org/index/gen-george-w-higgins-1835

                      Charlie McCutchen

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2013
                        Hello.
                        Thank you for the information in regards to obtaining the obituary of
                        George W. and Nancy Higgins. I will definitely look into that, although I
                        fear it will be a sad story.
                        I'm descended from George W. Higgins and his wife, Nancy. Their son,
                        William J., was my great-great grandfather.
                        William J. Higgins: born 5/21/1828 Jackson County, Alabama
                        died 6/29/1894 Jackson County,
                        Alabama
                        William J. Higgins moved to Montgomery County, Mississippi in the
                        1850's. He married Frances (Fannie) Estis (born 9/25/1837, Carroll County,
                        MS) in 1856. She was the daughter of William J. Estis and Sarah Ann
                        Redditt. They had 6 children: George, Robert W., Margaret S. (my
                        great-grandmother), Mabel, and John Y.
                        Around 1868, William returned to Jackson County with his family, living
                        in the Big Coon area, according to the 1870 census. Fannie Estis Higgins
                        died 10/25/1879, and William J. Higgins died 6/29/1894. Both are buried in
                        Robertson Cemetery near Scottsboro.
                        Sincerely, Paula Tarrant

                      • Charles McCutchen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 1, 2013
                           Paula,

                          Did William J. Higgins have a son named Henry Clay "Harry" Higgins?  If so he married Lou Cotton who was the sister of my great grandmother Mollie Cotton and I have a few pictures of the Higgins children from the early 1900s.    The early McCutchens that Mary Eleanor Higgins married into are buried at Robertson too.

                          Charlie McCutchen

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
                            Hi Charles.
                            Yes, William J. Higgins did have a son named Henry, born in Mississippi
                            around 1857.
                            Other children were:
                            George born in Mississippi 1859
                            Margaret S. (my great-grandmother) born in Mississippi 1865 died
                            in 1957
                            Robert W. born in Alabama 1868
                            Mabel born in Alabama 1872
                            John Y. born in Alabama 1875
                            The 1870 census shows them living in the Big Coon / Fackler Station
                            area, very close to William's older sister Margaret Higgins (b.1817 in
                            Tennessee), who married Charles Lewis Roach.
                            ~~ Paula