Re: [jacksongenealogy] PADGETT Webb, Browning, Wall

  • paula stockebrand
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
      Hello Anne and Dr. Smith and all,
      I am related to the David , Daniel, Jesse and William Walls in Jackson, Calhoun, etc.
      I have some Padgett ties to our Wall surname in Rutherford County NC. John Wall (died 1832, Aug 6) who married Lucy Adams is buried in Rutherford NC in Ralph and Pauline Padgett"s back yard.
      Then I have the following ties to Jackson county Browning and Webb families.
      .If anything looks familiar, please tell me what you think: from Paula at pfabionar@...

      from my cousin:
      "My ancestor Daniel Walls married Malinda Browning, daughter of Caleb Browning and ( Betsy ) Elizabeth St. Clair, also spelled Sinclair from Bedford Co. Virginia.

      Malinda had a sister named Matilda who married William Dickerson. Their son Benjamin Dickerson and his family are living next door to Patsy Wheeler, Martha Walls and Sarah Walls in Bellefonte, Jackson Co AL 1860 census. 2 houses down from Benjamin his brother Albert Dickerson is living with John N. Tubb 21 and James Webb 18.

      Malinda's nephew Joseph M Browning married Elizabeth Proctor, he died before 1860 and his children are living with their grandmother Cynthia Proctor's household which was also next door to Patsy Wheeler's.

      In 1850 Caleb Walls is living next door to William Webb. Caleb murdered William Webb and fled from the area. Caleb's wife Margaret was 1st married to Drury Vinson Womack. Drury's sister Malinda married Martin Webb.

      "from Sean Harley"

      And this document:

      Know all men by these present that I, G. W. Webb , in consideration of the property delivered to me per bill of sale on the 17th day of January 1848 by Wm Wheeler and Martha Wheeler, his wife, acknowledge full payment of a debt due me from them of thirty-nine dollars and also do take and agree to take Martha Wall who is afflicted with palsey and board and ?bath and comfortably maintain her so long as she may remain a charge on account of her affliction. ALso take David P. Wall and James R. Wall and board and ?bath, maintain and treat them as well as should and ought to be required of me until they may become of age. In witness whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal this 17th day of January 1848.

      drcds@... wrote:
      Hello again Ann, I am C. D. Smith and we talked several years ago. My grand
      mother was Marta Elizabeth Horton Smith (born in Paint Rock Valley). One of her
      brothers (Dr. John J. Horton) married a Padgett and they lived in the Stevenson
      or Bridgeport areas. I am glad to get your email again. There may be things
      from the past that we can share in the future.
      Dr. C. D. Smith

      Quoting Anne Rohr <arohr@...>:

      > I am looking for the obituaries of my Great Grandparents, Charles
      > Augustus
      > Webb and Florence Morgan Webb. Both lived in Jackson all of their
      > adult
      > lives. Charles died June 23, 1915 in Langston and is buried in the
      > Langston
      > Davis Cemetery and Florence died May 6, 1941 in Langston. She is also
      > buried in the Langston Davis Cemetery. Their oldest child, Cloe Webb
      > Padgett, was my maternal Grandmother. I would also love to have the
      > obituaries for Charles Webb's parents, David Moore Webb, and Nancy
      > Elizabeth
      > Tribble. David died September 6, 1900 while on a trip to Milton
      > County,
      > Georgia, but is buried in the Langston Davis Cemetery. Nancy (Beth)
      > died
      > August 5, 1907 and is also buried in the Langston David Cemetery.
      > So many of my Maternal ancestors are from the Jackson County area and
      > I'm
      > sure that I have lots of cousins still there that I don't even know
      > about.
      > I am researching PADGETT, WEBB, MORGAN, SNODGRASS, HORTON and McCORD
      > from
      > Jackson County, to name a few. I am always happy to share information
      > that
      > I have. My Padgett iine, among others, were from the Paint Rock
      > Valley/Holly Tree area and I would love to know more about those areas.
      > used to get to Scottsboro often with my Grandparents when I was a child
      > and
      > still lived in Tennessee, but it has been difficult these past years
      > working
      > full time and living in Florida. Any help at all would be greatly
      > appreciated.
      > Thanks!
      > Anne Rohr
      > granny1463@...