Re: [jacksongenealogy] Photos of Bridgeport Depot and First Monday 1972 and 1977

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
      Annette

      Thanks so much for the great family photos and of Jackson Co. that you have uploaded. Now if we could just get everyone else in our group to upload their family photos and photos of Jackson Co. Would like to see photos of cemeteries and tombstones in Jackson Co. on our website also.

    • nettiebau1952
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
        Clay, it was great to go through David's black and white negatives
        yesterday. I hope someone finds pictures of folks they care about.

        I have a passion about finding family photographs. I found the only
        picture of a great grandfather whose name I did not know in the hands
        of descendents of a half sister 20 years his junior. And he looks just
        like my brother, and led me to debunk the story passed down through the
        family that he died in 1900. My mother is from Coosa county, and I post
        photos with no labels for the Coosa County historical people in hopes
        of getting these photos back to the people who care about them.

        In my quest for family photos, I have discovered these things about
        where to look.

        1. You typically won't find family photos much before 1880. Matthew
        Brady aside, unless your relative was a famous person living in a city,
        1880 is about the earliest time that it makes sense to look for photos.
        Daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, and tintypes were available about 1840-
        1870, but finding them is fairly rare. My mother's family has bunches
        of them but since they cannot be written on, no one knows who they are.
        If your relative was a Civil War commander, there are incredible
        archives of Civil War photos available from the Library of Congress and
        elsewhere.

        2. A good person to pursue is a descendent of the oldest daughter. In a
        big family, daughters often stayed closer to home than sons, and took
        care of parents in their old age. If the oldest daughter moved away,
        look at the last census before the parents died and see what child
        lived closest. Their descendents are a good bet to have the photo stash
        that belonged to the parents. Then and now, everyone sent pictures to
        mom and dad, if not necessarily to their siblings.

        3. Country people were photographed by travelling photographers. I have
        a 1897-8 photo of my great great grandparents, and the photo shows
        lines that can only be creases made by folding a backdrop that the
        photographer carried with him. There a great clues found in photos and
        many books about interpreting old photos.

        I love to restore old photos and have done this for years using a
        variety of tools. If anyone has a beloved but torn and tattered and
        dusty old photo, I'd be glad to take a shot a fixing it. I took a power
        pole out of the Bridgeport depot shot that I posted, for example. Tools
        are so good now and their powerful functionality is accessible even to
        us gifted amateurs.

        I have not posted family pictures to the Jackson County site, but I
        have pictures of the following Jackson County folks who were all born
        before 1900 (and most of their headstones as well) if anyone wants them:

        Newton Wesley "Pogue" Benson
        Molly Jane Morgan Benson
        The John Benson Family
        The Benson house in Langston
        Pogue Benson and his sons
        The Pogue and Molly Benson children
        Eliza Jane Benson Dilworth
        Thomas Silas Kirby family reunion in 1939
        Eliza Lee Jenkins Kirby
        Willie Porter Jenkins
        Annie Vashti Jenkins Parks
        Hortense Beaucharnais Jenkins Coffee
        Lucinda Jane Kirby Jenkins (painting when young and photo in 1926)
        Henry Bradford, son of Alexander Keith
        Georgianna Malone Jennings Williams
        Marion Lorenzo Johnson
        Sallie Washington Johnson
        Catherine Louella Walker Washington
        Washington houses
        John Washington

        Annette Bradford
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt

      • rgpipes@hughes.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
          Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
          site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not want
          to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason I
          can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
          site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer problems
          every time I have added it.

          Thanks

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          11:57 AM

        • Joe Burt
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
            Could I have a copy of the Bensons. My gmother was Willie Nelson Benson
            and married John P. Word
            JaNelle

            ettiebau1952 wrote:

> [...]
            > Hortense Beaucharnais Jenkins Coffee
            > Lucinda Jane Kirby Jenkins (painting when young and photo in 1926)
            > Henry Bradford, son of Alexander Keith
            > Georgianna Malone Jennings Williams
            > Marion Lorenzo Johnson
            > Sallie Washington Johnson
            > Catherine Louella Walker Washington
            > Washington houses
            > John Washington
            >
            > Annette Bradford
            > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, clay gullatt
            > <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Annette
            > >
            > > Thanks so much for the great family photos and of Jackson Co. that
            > you have uploaded. Now if we could just get everyone else in our group
            > to upload their family photos and photos of Jackson Co. Would like to
            > see photos of cemeteries and tombstones in Jackson Co. on our website

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
              I too am not able to access the photos. The only option I get is to "join
              the group", but I thought I was a member.
              Ray Beam

              > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
              > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
              > want
              > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
              > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
              > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
              > problems
              > every time I have added it.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Regina

              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              > 11:57 AM

            • paula stockebrand
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                Does this e-mail page have a blue box on the right which says
                recent activity, New Members, etc then Visit your group..
                Just click twice on VISIT YOUR GROUP
                paula

                Ray <beamr@...> wrote:

                I too am not able to access the photos. The only option I get is to "join
                the group", but I thought I was a member.
                Ray Beam

                > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                > want
                > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                > problems
                > every time I have added it.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Regina

                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                > 11:57 AM

              • Annette Bradford
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                  Paula and Regina, I am sorry you are having trouble getting to the pictures I posted. To access photos, I do the following:

                  1. Click the Reply (via Web post) or Start a new topic link at the bottom of every new sent note. You will see the Finger select cursor if clicking on the link gives you access to a Web page.
                  2. Log into Yahoo, if your last login has timed out. My logon state has stayed up for weeks at a time without loggining in.
                  3. In the menu on the left, I select Photos.
                  4. Click on the Bradford album. You see thumbnails of everything posted. To see a bigger version, double click on the thumbnail of the photo.
                  5. To save the version of the photo you see on the Web page, right click and select Save Picture As... If you want to print the photo, send me a note to abradford@... (so I have your email address to respond to) and I'll send you a higher-resolution picture.

                  Annette

                  > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                  > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                  > want
                  > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                  > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                  > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                  > problems
                  > every time I have added it.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Regina

                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  > 11:57 AM

                • Ray
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                    Did that - it went to the page, shows my member information and submitted
                    messages from other members, but on the left where posts, photos, etc are
                    listed. It does not allow me to open it.
                    Ray

                  • clswagler@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                      Ray - I had problems, also, but at this point I had to sign in which then allowed me to access the various links.

                      Cindy

                      > Does this e-mail page have a blue box on the right which says
                      > recent activity, New Members, etc then Visit your group..
                      > Just click twice on VISIT YOUR GROUP
                      > paula
                      >
                      > Ray <beamr@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > I too am not able to access the photos. The only option I get is to "join
                      > the group", but I thought I was a member.
                      > Ray Beam

                    • Ray
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                        Thanks Cindy, I'll try that.

                        Ray

                        > Ray - I had problems, also, but at this point I had to sign in which then
                        > allowed me to access the various links.
                        >

                        > Cindy

                      • Sharon Henson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                          Have you tried scrolling to the bottom of the message where it has the boxes and the first one says Marketplace and just above that there is a list going across that starts with Messages then files and then Photos. I just click on Photos there and it takes me right to the photos.
                          Sharon Langham Henson

                          Ray <beamr@...> wrote: Did that - it went to the page, shows my member information and submitted

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                            unsubscribe

                            I too am not able to access the photos. The only option I get is to "join
                            the group", but I thought I was a member.
                            Ray Beam

                            > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                            > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                            > want
                            > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                            > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                            > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                            > problems
                            > every time I have added it.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > Regina

                            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            > 11:57 AM

                          • Jewel Casey
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                              I've done everything I can to view the pictures and nothing has worked so far. Will try to get a new ID
                              Jewel

                              > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                              > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                              > want
                              > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                              > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                              > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                              > problems
                              > every time I have added it.
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > Regina

                              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              > 11:57 AM

                            • Jewel Casey
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                                Gee whiz, thought I was the only one who has problems with Yahoo. Never can get in without problems, thought my computer was messed up or my mind had just gone flip. hahahaha

                                Jewel

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                                  I have added 3 photos taken at Blue Springs Cemetery in
                                  Larkinsville. The photos were taken in spring 2005.

                                  One is of David Larkin and Elizabeth Rutledge Larkin's
                                  side-by-side crypts, laid in 1857.

                                  Another is the gravestone of their daughter Priscilla, she
                                  of 1862 diary renown.

                                  A third is of a small stone block, laid next to Priscilla's
                                  grave, that may or may not be her widowed husband,
                                  Absolom Stephens (d. 1890). It is hard to see because of
                                  that huge overgrown bush next to the grave. As of my last
                                  visit this past June, some kind soul has removed the bush.
                                  Perhaps one of the inmates who helped clean up the
                                  graveyard after it was vandalized? Whoever it was, thanks.

                                  These photos are in the "Larkinsville" album.

                                  Glory to God,

                                  David Malbuff
                                  Strasburg, Virginia

                                  Annette

                                  Thanks so much for the great family photos and of Jackson Co. that you have uploaded. Now if we could just get everyone else in our group to upload their family photos and photos of Jackson Co. Would like to see photos of cemeteries and tombstones in Jackson Co. on our website also.

                                • Stirling Young

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 25, 2008
                                      I am trying to find Peter H GOLD in the 1850 census. He should have three
                                      children living with him age range one to three years old. He could be
                                      either in Alabama, Tennessee or Missouri. Also I am wondering if anyone
                                      else here is related to the GOLD family. Who did Peter's daughter Mary Ann
                                      GOLD marry and his son Thomas GOLD. I know that his son Elijah married
                                      Frances WININGER. I've seen the name GOLD spelled GOOL, GOAL, GOLE and
                                      GOULD.

                                      Thanks for the help.
                                      Regina

                                      _____