Photos of Bridgeport Depot and First Monday 1972 and 1977

  • nettiebau1952
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
      My husband, David, is a Scottsboro native who wrote for all the local
      newspapers at one time or another in the late 60s and 70s. He did a
      number of historical stories and wrote several times about First Monday.

      I have uploaded a number of his black and white photos taken mostly in
      1972 and 1977. The pictures are primarily of musicians, but there are
      also photos of preachers and vendors. If you frequented First Monday
      during these years, you might see some folks you recognize.

      Yahoo sizes pictures down to post them on the Web. If you see a picture
      you want, if you will send me a note (abradford@...), I can send
      you a larger version that will print better.

      There are also a couple of picture of the Bridgeport Depot and one of
      the south side of the country square in the early 40s.

      Annette Bradford
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
        Annette

        Thanks so much for the great family photos and of Jackson Co. that you have uploaded. Now if we could just get everyone else in our group to upload their family photos and photos of Jackson Co. Would like to see photos of cemeteries and tombstones in Jackson Co. on our website also.

      • nettiebau1952
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
          Clay, it was great to go through David's black and white negatives
          yesterday. I hope someone finds pictures of folks they care about.

          I have a passion about finding family photographs. I found the only
          picture of a great grandfather whose name I did not know in the hands
          of descendents of a half sister 20 years his junior. And he looks just
          like my brother, and led me to debunk the story passed down through the
          family that he died in 1900. My mother is from Coosa county, and I post
          photos with no labels for the Coosa County historical people in hopes
          of getting these photos back to the people who care about them.

          In my quest for family photos, I have discovered these things about
          where to look.

          1. You typically won't find family photos much before 1880. Matthew
          Brady aside, unless your relative was a famous person living in a city,
          1880 is about the earliest time that it makes sense to look for photos.
          Daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, and tintypes were available about 1840-
          1870, but finding them is fairly rare. My mother's family has bunches
          of them but since they cannot be written on, no one knows who they are.
          If your relative was a Civil War commander, there are incredible
          archives of Civil War photos available from the Library of Congress and
          elsewhere.

          2. A good person to pursue is a descendent of the oldest daughter. In a
          big family, daughters often stayed closer to home than sons, and took
          care of parents in their old age. If the oldest daughter moved away,
          look at the last census before the parents died and see what child
          lived closest. Their descendents are a good bet to have the photo stash
          that belonged to the parents. Then and now, everyone sent pictures to
          mom and dad, if not necessarily to their siblings.

          3. Country people were photographed by travelling photographers. I have
          a 1897-8 photo of my great great grandparents, and the photo shows
          lines that can only be creases made by folding a backdrop that the
          photographer carried with him. There a great clues found in photos and
          many books about interpreting old photos.

          I love to restore old photos and have done this for years using a
          variety of tools. If anyone has a beloved but torn and tattered and
          dusty old photo, I'd be glad to take a shot a fixing it. I took a power
          pole out of the Bridgeport depot shot that I posted, for example. Tools
          are so good now and their powerful functionality is accessible even to
          us gifted amateurs.

          I have not posted family pictures to the Jackson County site, but I
          have pictures of the following Jackson County folks who were all born
          before 1900 (and most of their headstones as well) if anyone wants them:

          Newton Wesley "Pogue" Benson
          Molly Jane Morgan Benson
          The John Benson Family
          The Benson house in Langston
          Pogue Benson and his sons
          The Pogue and Molly Benson children
          Eliza Jane Benson Dilworth
          Thomas Silas Kirby family reunion in 1939
          Eliza Lee Jenkins Kirby
          Willie Porter Jenkins
          Annie Vashti Jenkins Parks
          Hortense Beaucharnais Jenkins Coffee
          Lucinda Jane Kirby Jenkins (painting when young and photo in 1926)
          Henry Bradford, son of Alexander Keith
          Georgianna Malone Jennings Williams
          Marion Lorenzo Johnson
          Sallie Washington Johnson
          Catherine Louella Walker Washington
          Washington houses
          John Washington

          Annette Bradford
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt

        • rgpipes@hughes.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
            Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
            site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not want
            to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason I
            can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
            site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer problems
            every time I have added it.

            Thanks

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            11:57 AM

          • Joe Burt
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
              Could I have a copy of the Bensons. My gmother was Willie Nelson Benson
              and married John P. Word
              JaNelle

              ettiebau1952 wrote:

> [...]
              > Hortense Beaucharnais Jenkins Coffee
              > Lucinda Jane Kirby Jenkins (painting when young and photo in 1926)
              > Henry Bradford, son of Alexander Keith
              > Georgianna Malone Jennings Williams
              > Marion Lorenzo Johnson
              > Sallie Washington Johnson
              > Catherine Louella Walker Washington
              > Washington houses
              > John Washington
              >
              > Annette Bradford
              > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, clay gullatt
              > <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Annette
              > >
              > > Thanks so much for the great family photos and of Jackson Co. that
              > you have uploaded. Now if we could just get everyone else in our group
              > to upload their family photos and photos of Jackson Co. Would like to
              > see photos of cemeteries and tombstones in Jackson Co. on our website

            • Ray
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                I too am not able to access the photos. The only option I get is to "join
                the group", but I thought I was a member.
                Ray Beam

                > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                > want
                > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                > problems
                > every time I have added it.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Regina

                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                > 11:57 AM

              • paula stockebrand
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                  Does this e-mail page have a blue box on the right which says
                  recent activity, New Members, etc then Visit your group..
                  Just click twice on VISIT YOUR GROUP
                  paula

                  Ray <beamr@...> wrote:

                  I too am not able to access the photos. The only option I get is to "join
                  the group", but I thought I was a member.
                  Ray Beam

                  > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                  > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                  > want
                  > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                  > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                  > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                  > problems
                  > every time I have added it.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Regina

                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  > 11:57 AM

                • Annette Bradford
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                    Paula and Regina, I am sorry you are having trouble getting to the pictures I posted. To access photos, I do the following:

                    1. Click the Reply (via Web post) or Start a new topic link at the bottom of every new sent note. You will see the Finger select cursor if clicking on the link gives you access to a Web page.
                    2. Log into Yahoo, if your last login has timed out. My logon state has stayed up for weeks at a time without loggining in.
                    3. In the menu on the left, I select Photos.
                    4. Click on the Bradford album. You see thumbnails of everything posted. To see a bigger version, double click on the thumbnail of the photo.
                    5. To save the version of the photo you see on the Web page, right click and select Save Picture As... If you want to print the photo, send me a note to abradford@... (so I have your email address to respond to) and I'll send you a higher-resolution picture.

                    Annette

                    > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                    > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                    > want
                    > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                    > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                    > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                    > problems
                    > every time I have added it.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Regina

                    > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    > 11:57 AM

                  • Ray
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                      Did that - it went to the page, shows my member information and submitted
                      messages from other members, but on the left where posts, photos, etc are
                      listed. It does not allow me to open it.
                      Ray

                    • clswagler@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                        Ray - I had problems, also, but at this point I had to sign in which then allowed me to access the various links.

                        Cindy

                        > Does this e-mail page have a blue box on the right which says
                        > recent activity, New Members, etc then Visit your group..
                        > Just click twice on VISIT YOUR GROUP
                        > paula
                        >
                        > Ray <beamr@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > I too am not able to access the photos. The only option I get is to "join
                        > the group", but I thought I was a member.
                        > Ray Beam

                      • Ray
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                          Thanks Cindy, I'll try that.

                          Ray

                          > Ray - I had problems, also, but at this point I had to sign in which then
                          > allowed me to access the various links.
                          >

                          > Cindy

                        • Sharon Henson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                            Have you tried scrolling to the bottom of the message where it has the boxes and the first one says Marketplace and just above that there is a list going across that starts with Messages then files and then Photos. I just click on Photos there and it takes me right to the photos.
                            Sharon Langham Henson

                            Ray <beamr@...> wrote: Did that - it went to the page, shows my member information and submitted

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                              unsubscribe

                              I too am not able to access the photos. The only option I get is to "join
                              the group", but I thought I was a member.
                              Ray Beam

                              > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                              > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                              > want
                              > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                              > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                              > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                              > problems
                              > every time I have added it.
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > Regina

                              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              > 11:57 AM

                            • Jewel Casey
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                                I've done everything I can to view the pictures and nothing has worked so far. Will try to get a new ID
                                Jewel

                                > Am I the only one that has problems getting into the Jackson County YAHOO
                                > site to see the pictures? I always have problems with YAHOO. I do not
                                > want
                                > to add a YAHOO toolbar on my computer and don't know if that is the reason
                                > can't get on. Could someone give me baby steps on how I can get to this
                                > site without having to add the tool bar? It has given my computer
                                > problems
                                > every time I have added it.
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                > Regina

                                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                > 11:57 AM

                              • Jewel Casey
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                                  Gee whiz, thought I was the only one who has problems with Yahoo. Never can get in without problems, thought my computer was messed up or my mind had just gone flip. hahahaha

                                  Jewel

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                                    I have added 3 photos taken at Blue Springs Cemetery in
                                    Larkinsville. The photos were taken in spring 2005.

                                    One is of David Larkin and Elizabeth Rutledge Larkin's
                                    side-by-side crypts, laid in 1857.

                                    Another is the gravestone of their daughter Priscilla, she
                                    of 1862 diary renown.

                                    A third is of a small stone block, laid next to Priscilla's
                                    grave, that may or may not be her widowed husband,
                                    Absolom Stephens (d. 1890). It is hard to see because of
                                    that huge overgrown bush next to the grave. As of my last
                                    visit this past June, some kind soul has removed the bush.
                                    Perhaps one of the inmates who helped clean up the
                                    graveyard after it was vandalized? Whoever it was, thanks.

                                    These photos are in the "Larkinsville" album.

                                    Glory to God,

                                    David Malbuff
                                    Strasburg, Virginia

                                    Annette

                                    Thanks so much for the great family photos and of Jackson Co. that you have uploaded. Now if we could just get everyone else in our group to upload their family photos and photos of Jackson Co. Would like to see photos of cemeteries and tombstones in Jackson Co. on our website also.

                                  • Stirling Young

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 25, 2008
                                        I am trying to find Peter H GOLD in the 1850 census. He should have three
                                        children living with him age range one to three years old. He could be
                                        either in Alabama, Tennessee or Missouri. Also I am wondering if anyone
                                        else here is related to the GOLD family. Who did Peter's daughter Mary Ann
                                        GOLD marry and his son Thomas GOLD. I know that his son Elijah married
                                        Frances WININGER. I've seen the name GOLD spelled GOOL, GOAL, GOLE and
                                        GOULD.

                                        Thanks for the help.
                                        Regina

                                        _____