RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Johnson and Evans Families

  • Jim Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hi Tina and other researchers,

      I found a Collin Johnson in the 1830 Jackson County Census. Could have been
      misspelled from Collier. Family is near the Gross and Evans families. In
      the Township 5S Range 5E land grant info, Colyer Johnson's land grant abuts
      the Gross and Evans families in Section 31. Our families are linked, I
      believe. I descend from William Owen Johnson T5R5 Section 28 who married
      Thomas Evans' daughter Jincy. Alexander Johnson lived next door to Thomas
      Evans in the 1830 Census. Collin (or Collier) Johnson 6 dwellings away from
      Alexander Johnson and Thomas Evans in the 1830 census. If you find anything
      on Alexander Johnson, please let me know. William O. Johnson and parts of
      the Evans family also went to Texas then Missouri in the same time frame.

      Anyone else want to jump in?

      Jim

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
        Hi!

        Haven't heard from you I a while. Have you found parents for Collier
        Johnson?

        Jim Johnson

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
          Here's another enigma.

          The 1830 US Census for Jackson County shows Alexander Johnson living next to
          Thomas Evans with Collier Johnson living 6 houses away. The Patent Map for
          Jackson County T5-S R5-E Section 31 shows Colyer Johnson's land next to
          Thomas Evans. They both received their patents in 1831. Nearby in the
          patent map are William O. Johnson (Patent 1852) and Joshua Johnson (Patent
          1831 - located in T6-S R5-E Section 7). T6-S R5-E Section 6 is immediately
          south of and adjoining T5-S R5-E Section 31. I think Alexander, Collier,
          Joshua, and William are related. In the 1850 U.S. Census for Jackson
          County, my ancestor William O. Johnson and his wife Jane (or Jincey) Evans
          (daughter of Thomas Evans) surrounded by many of the original patent owners
          in T5-S R5-E Section 31 and T6-S R5-E Section 6. Can anyone add anything?
          Maybe someone has access to the property transfers of these original patents
          or land plats?

          Thanks!

        • Jim Johnson
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
            Hi Everyone,

            Can anyone tell me how you would go about finding information on property
            transfers from original patents? Maybe I'm looking for a title search. Any
            idea of the cost? Also, some counties have land plats that show for certain
            dates who owned what. I have possible ancestors who each owned an original
            patent in Township 5-S Range 5-E (Huntsville) in Jackson County (Colyer
            Johnson Section 32 and William O. Johnson in Section 28). Subsequent
            property transfers or sales might give an indication of family connections.

            Thanks!

            Jim Johnson

          • Jim Johnson
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
              Oops, sorry, Colyer Johnson was Section 31 not 32.

              Jim