Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Garth, Alabama

  • John Green
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
      Sue Sharp Long,

      Could your Rosie Johnson have come from further up the valley? When I
      was a child, I remember a friend of my cousins named either Rosie
      Miller or Rosie Johnson. Her family lived next door to the Beech Grove
      Baptist church just south of Francisco in the 1950's. She would be
      about 60 now.

      John M. Green
      On Dec 30, 2007, at 8:20 PM, Tina wrote:

      > Hi Sue:
      >
      > No, I don't think I'm related in that area at all, it is my Jones,
      > Pockrus that were in Alabama, and my Johnsons were in Texas and
      > Missouri. My Jones family lived in and around Garth. So sorry I
      > cannot help! Good luck, Tina
      >
      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, SUE LONG <columbu3@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Ms. Lathrom
      > > Iam researching the Johnson family of that area I was wondering
      > if u might be related to Rosie Johnson Fowler an Earl Johnson.Garth
      > is a smalll commuinty near Holytree, in Paint Rock Valley ,Thank You
      > for your help on this,
      > > Sue Sharp Long
      > >
      > > Tina Lathrom <lathrom@...> wrote:
      > > Hi there - does anyone know a good reference book to find
      > out some
      > > information about Garth, Alabama? Everytime I search, I get Garth
      > > Brooks ;o) and I'm supposing the town is no longer there? I am
      > assuming
      > > it was once near Scottsboro or Paint Rock? Thanks!!! Tina
      > >
      > > Researching: Jones, Sisk, Havins, Johnson, Pockrus

    • Jim Johnson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
        Hi Tina and other researchers,

        I found a Collin Johnson in the 1830 Jackson County Census. Could have been
        misspelled from Collier. Family is near the Gross and Evans families. In
        the Township 5S Range 5E land grant info, Colyer Johnson's land grant abuts
        the Gross and Evans families in Section 31. Our families are linked, I
        believe. I descend from William Owen Johnson T5R5 Section 28 who married
        Thomas Evans' daughter Jincy. Alexander Johnson lived next door to Thomas
        Evans in the 1830 Census. Collin (or Collier) Johnson 6 dwellings away from
        Alexander Johnson and Thomas Evans in the 1830 census. If you find anything
        on Alexander Johnson, please let me know. William O. Johnson and parts of
        the Evans family also went to Texas then Missouri in the same time frame.

        Anyone else want to jump in?

        Jim

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
          Hi!

          Haven't heard from you I a while. Have you found parents for Collier
          Johnson?

          Jim Johnson

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
            Here's another enigma.

            The 1830 US Census for Jackson County shows Alexander Johnson living next to
            Thomas Evans with Collier Johnson living 6 houses away. The Patent Map for
            Jackson County T5-S R5-E Section 31 shows Colyer Johnson's land next to
            Thomas Evans. They both received their patents in 1831. Nearby in the
            patent map are William O. Johnson (Patent 1852) and Joshua Johnson (Patent
            1831 - located in T6-S R5-E Section 7). T6-S R5-E Section 6 is immediately
            south of and adjoining T5-S R5-E Section 31. I think Alexander, Collier,
            Joshua, and William are related. In the 1850 U.S. Census for Jackson
            County, my ancestor William O. Johnson and his wife Jane (or Jincey) Evans
            (daughter of Thomas Evans) surrounded by many of the original patent owners
            in T5-S R5-E Section 31 and T6-S R5-E Section 6. Can anyone add anything?
            Maybe someone has access to the property transfers of these original patents
            or land plats?

            Thanks!

          • Jim Johnson
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
              Hi Everyone,

              Can anyone tell me how you would go about finding information on property
              transfers from original patents? Maybe I'm looking for a title search. Any
              idea of the cost? Also, some counties have land plats that show for certain
              dates who owned what. I have possible ancestors who each owned an original
              patent in Township 5-S Range 5-E (Huntsville) in Jackson County (Colyer
              Johnson Section 32 and William O. Johnson in Section 28). Subsequent
              property transfers or sales might give an indication of family connections.

              Thanks!

              Jim Johnson

            • Jim Johnson
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
                Oops, sorry, Colyer Johnson was Section 31 not 32.

                Jim