Re: [jacksongenealogy] 1856 REMOVALS from JACKSON COUNTY, AL R/R Records

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
      In order to find out if there are any old rail road company records you will have to find out who currently owns those lines and if they have the records from the previous owners, could be there were several previous owners. Sometimes they transferred the records sometimes they didn't.

    • Donna McDaniel
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
        I will have to look back to make sure, but I think the census information documented railroad employment. There were also several books documenting local information for Chattanooga residents at that time. I did not find specific documents relating to railroad employment information. Some of the older newspapers on microfilm also had some info.

        Karl Plenge <kmplenge@...> wrote: > Please let me know if you find railroad records. I found some info in the Chattanooga Public Library.

        Do you remember what was there?

      • Stirling Young
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 7, 2008
          Clarence E.Kennamer and Jennie Coyle married in Dallas.I think his mother was my grt grandmothers sister Julie Ann Maccarrell.Havent got the whole story but these two were married secretly and hid it from Nancy Jane for several months according to my Aunt Marge.

          mark thomas <williet_6757@...> wrote: Which Kennemer did she marry?

          Stirling Young wrote: The railroad is what brought my grtgrtgrandfather William Mccarrell to Scottsboro in the early 1850's and where he stayed..He was a RR foreman and moved all over the south.My grt grandmother Nancy Jane maried WJ Coyle in 1870 and one of her sisters married a Kennemer who had a son that moved to Dallas and married one of Nancy's daughters.
          "Ann B. Chambless" wrote: Another thought as to why families removed from Jackson County, Alabama westward in 1856 is the completion of the Memphis and Charleston in 1856. Traveling by railroad from Jackson County to Memphis, Tennessee was much more appealing and cheaper in the long run than spending three months traveling across territory unknown to the travelers via wagons or on horseback. Railway tickets were reasonably priced, and entire families could travel from Jackson County to Memphis for $10.00. Plus, household goods could be shipped for an equitable fee without too much fear of damage during transit.
          The earliest extant newspaper published in Jackson County is dated 1868, but I have seen railroad ads in Huntsville newspapers which marketed this "new" form of easy travel.
          Ann B. Chambless

        • Regina Pipes
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 7, 2008
            The email you just sent to the ALJACKSO mailling list is being held for
            review for the following reason:

            Post sent by a non-member to a members-only list.

            Your message will be reviewed and will either be automatically posted to the
            list or you will be notified that it has been rejected and why.

            If you would like to cancel this posting, please visit the following

            HYPERLINK
            "http://lists9.rootsweb.com/mailman/confirm/aljackso/075404e23aa87e7e2c39004
            494249d7cffd63bfd"http://lists9.rootsweb.com/mailman/confirm/aljackso/075404
            e23aa87e7e2c39004494249d7cffd63bfd

            Please contact your list administrator at ALJACKSO-admin@... if you
            have any questions.

            Sincerely,

            The ALJACKSO list administrator

            HYPERLINK
            "mailto:ALJACKSO-admin@..."ALJACKSO-admin@...

            Why would I get this e-mail?

            Thanks

            Regina

            _,_._,___

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            9:14 AM

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            9:14 AM

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 7, 2008

              No aljackso is a rootsweb mailing list/genealogy website that is run by rootsweb.com. I belong but I always include jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com in my posting sence we are largest Jackosn Co.genealogy group. Might as well have everyone on the same page. There is also jackson-co@yahoogroups.com and a net 54 Jackson Co. posting list.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
                Ever wondered just what the enumerators were supposed to list on each census? Here is a link to the enumerators instructions for the 1850 through 1950 census.

                http://usa.ipums.org/usa/voliii/tEnumInstr.shtml

                Oh, for that 1890 census!

                Note there are no instructions for the parenthesis (1) or sometimes (2) which we have seen on the 1850 census. Noted genealogist Elizabeth Shown Mills (author of Evidence Explained) has found they relate to entries in col. 11 (at school with in the last year) and 12 (over the age of20 who cannot read and write).. The parenthesis also shows up on the 1850 in VA and NY that I know of. Most likely the parenthesis were added in DC where the census were collected.

              • Altafae
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
                  Alabama Civil War Trails
                  Stop: # 6 Huntsville
                  Historic Huntsville Depot -320 Church Street Huntsville, Alabama
                  Climb on locomotives, examine Civil War graffiti, and listen as robotic ticket agents tell about working for railroad. Exciting hands-on programs available.
                  Stop: # 7 Stevenson
                  Stevenson Rail Road Depot Museum - Main Street Stevenson, Alabama
                  In 1861 , Stevenson was a vital rail link to major points throughout the southeast. Union Gen. Rosecran's forces constructed a pontoon bridge across the Tennessee River Stevenson in 1863, allowing thousands of Union troops across the river and advance on the battlefield at Chickamauga.
                  http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/AlaCWSites.html

                  In a message dated 01/03/08 20:28:43 Pacific Standard Time, kmplenge@... writes:
                  > The railroad is what brought my grtgrtgrandfather William Mccarrell to Scottsboro in the early 1850's

                  Does anyone know of any place that RR employment or other records might be available? One person I am researching worked for the RR in Jackson Co, and other members of my family worked for the same RR elsewhere in AL and TN.

                • Anne D.P. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                    I second Stevenson Railroad Museum. I stopped in this summer when I was
                    visiting Jackson Co. to find the cemetery where my Archibald Jacoway is
                    buried. The woman who works there was really friendly and very helpful,
                    and they have a really neat collection of historical items. She gave me
                    wonderful directions to the cemetery, and mentioned a couple other
                    things I might want to look at while there.

                    On Jan 08, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Altafae wrote:

                    > Alabama Civil War Trails
                    > Stop: # 6 Huntsville
                    > Historic Huntsville Depot -320 Church Street Huntsville, Alabama
                    > Climb on locomotives, examine Civil War graffiti, and listen as
                    > robotic ticket agents tell about working for railroad. Exciting
                    > hands-on programs available.
                    > Stop: # 7 Stevenson
                    > Stevenson Rail Road Depot Museum - Main Street Stevenson, Alabama
                    > In 1861 , Stevenson was a vital rail link to major points throughout
                    > the southeast. Union Gen. Rosecran's forces constructed a pontoon
                    > bridge across the Tennessee River Stevenson in 1863, allowing
                    > thousands of Union troops across the river and advance on the
                    > battlefield at Chickamauga.
                    > http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/AlaCWSites.html
                    >
                    > In a message dated 01/03/08 20:28:43 Pacific Standard Time,
                    > kmplenge@... writes:
                    > > The railroad is what brought my grtgrtgrandfather William Mccarrell
                    > to Scottsboro in the early 1850's
                    >
                    > Does anyone know of any place that RR employment or other records
                    > might be available? One person I am researching worked for the RR in
                    > Jackson Co, and other members of my family worked for the same RR
                    > elsewhere in AL and TN.

                  • Joy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                      I would also recommend a trip to the Bridgeport, Alabama depot just up the road from Stevenson. They also have a good collection of mementos and historical information. I'm not certain of their hours, but anyone at the Lena Cagle Library could help you out if they were closed. I think the curators will come over if someone is from out of town and drop by while they are closed.

                      They may or may not have railroad info, such as logs, etc.

                      I second Stevenson Railroad Museum. I stopped in this summer when I was
                      visiting Jackson Co. to find the cemetery where my Archibald Jacoway is
                      buried. The woman who works there was really friendly and very helpful,
                      and they have a really neat collection of historical items. She gave me
                      wonderful directions to the cemetery, and mentioned a couple other
                      things I might want to look at while there.

                      On Jan 08, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Altafae wrote:

                      > Alabama Civil War Trails
                      > Stop: # 6 Huntsville
                      > Historic Huntsville Depot -320 Church Street Huntsville, Alabama
                      > Climb on locomotives, examine Civil War graffiti, and listen as
                      > robotic ticket agents tell about working for railroad. Exciting
                      > hands-on programs available.
                      > Stop: # 7 Stevenson
                      > Stevenson Rail Road Depot Museum - Main Street Stevenson, Alabama
                      > In 1861 , Stevenson was a vital rail link to major points throughout
                      > the southeast. Union Gen. Rosecran's forces constructed a pontoon
                      > bridge across the Tennessee River Stevenson in 1863, allowing
                      > thousands of Union troops across the river and advance on the
                      > battlefield at Chickamauga.
                      > http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/AlaCWSites.html
                      >
                      > In a message dated 01/03/08 20:28:43 Pacific Standard Time,
                      > kmplenge@... writes:
                      > > The railroad is what brought my grtgrtgrandfather William Mccarrell
                      > to Scottsboro in the early 1850's
                      >
                      > Does anyone know of any place that RR employment or other records
                      > might be available? One person I am researching worked for the RR in
                      > Jackson Co, and other members of my family worked for the same RR
                      > elsewhere in AL and TN.

                    • Karl Plenge
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
                        Thanks to everyone for the suggestions about railroad info!

                      • paula stockebrand
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 11, 2008
                          http://docsouth.unc.edu/csr/

                          from Paula