Re: [jacksongenealogy] 1800s Alabama Weather

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
      The only place I know that would give you a general idea of what conditions were in Northern AL is from Lawrence Co. two counties over from Jackson Co. Go to the Group Home Website under Links click on Murder and Other Acts of Jackson Co. AL at that site click on Weather, Meteorites, & Earthquakes.

      1856-57 was coldest in Lawrence Co. ever noted from pre-statehood to that time.

      In 1883 Krakatoa exploded affecting the weather for the next five years worldwide. Cold snap in Jan 1886 froze cattle everywhere in Lawrence Co. Great floods Mar and Apr on Tennessee River, half of Chattanooga TN under water. (wonder how Jackson Co. faired?)

      On 31 Aug 1886 Charleston SC earthquake was felt in Northern AL.

      Europeans come to this county during the Little Ice Age which ran from about 1500 to 1850 with minima beginning about1650, 1770, 1800/1850.with each separated by slight warming intervals.

      All it takes is one good volcano exploding and goodby global warming.

      Clay
      Old Ret. Navy Weather Guesser

    • Jim Johnson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hi Tina,

        I didn't know if you knew this, but there was a Colyer Johnson in Jackson
        County, Alabama, who had a land grant in Section 31 of Township 5S Range 5E.
        It was granted in 1831.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
          Sue Sharp Long,

          Could your Rosie Johnson have come from further up the valley? When I
          was a child, I remember a friend of my cousins named either Rosie
          Miller or Rosie Johnson. Her family lived next door to the Beech Grove
          Baptist church just south of Francisco in the 1950's. She would be
          about 60 now.

          John M. Green

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
            Hi Tina and other researchers,

            I found a Collin Johnson in the 1830 Jackson County Census. Could have been
            misspelled from Collier. Family is near the Gross and Evans families. In
            the Township 5S Range 5E land grant info, Colyer Johnson's land grant abuts
            the Gross and Evans families in Section 31. Our families are linked, I
            believe. I descend from William Owen Johnson T5R5 Section 28 who married
            Thomas Evans' daughter Jincy. Alexander Johnson lived next door to Thomas
            Evans in the 1830 Census. Collin (or Collier) Johnson 6 dwellings away from
            Alexander Johnson and Thomas Evans in the 1830 census. If you find anything
            on Alexander Johnson, please let me know. William O. Johnson and parts of
            the Evans family also went to Texas then Missouri in the same time frame.

            Anyone else want to jump in?

            Jim

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
              Hi!

              Haven't heard from you I a while. Have you found parents for Collier
              Johnson?

              Jim Johnson

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
                Here's another enigma.

                The 1830 US Census for Jackson County shows Alexander Johnson living next to
                Thomas Evans with Collier Johnson living 6 houses away. The Patent Map for
                Jackson County T5-S R5-E Section 31 shows Colyer Johnson's land next to
                Thomas Evans. They both received their patents in 1831. Nearby in the
                patent map are William O. Johnson (Patent 1852) and Joshua Johnson (Patent
                1831 - located in T6-S R5-E Section 7). T6-S R5-E Section 6 is immediately
                south of and adjoining T5-S R5-E Section 31. I think Alexander, Collier,
                Joshua, and William are related. In the 1850 U.S. Census for Jackson
                County, my ancestor William O. Johnson and his wife Jane (or Jincey) Evans
                (daughter of Thomas Evans) surrounded by many of the original patent owners
                in T5-S R5-E Section 31 and T6-S R5-E Section 6. Can anyone add anything?
                Maybe someone has access to the property transfers of these original patents
                or land plats?

                Thanks!

              • Jim Johnson
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
                  Hi Everyone,

                  Can anyone tell me how you would go about finding information on property
                  transfers from original patents? Maybe I'm looking for a title search. Any
                  idea of the cost? Also, some counties have land plats that show for certain
                  dates who owned what. I have possible ancestors who each owned an original
                  patent in Township 5-S Range 5-E (Huntsville) in Jackson County (Colyer
                  Johnson Section 32 and William O. Johnson in Section 28). Subsequent
                  property transfers or sales might give an indication of family connections.

                  Thanks!

                  Jim Johnson

                • Jim Johnson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
                    Oops, sorry, Colyer Johnson was Section 31 not 32.

                    Jim