Re: Garth, Alabama

  • Tina
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
      Jim - I will be studying your comments even closer, but I owe you a
      big cyber hug for making me think about the different spelling of
      Johnson (Johnston). I simply have not been able to locate my
      gggrandfather Collier Johnson from Missouri. He was born around
      1855, and died in 1929, but I cannot locate death information
      either. However, he moved from Missouri to Texas just before 1880
      where he is on the census in Delta County, Texas (right next to
      Hopkins County, which you mentioned). I can find a Collier Johnson
      working a farm in 1870, but until I thought about spelling, didn't
      find anything on the 1860. I have now found a Colier Johnston in
      Missouri for that year,a nd will try and track down that link to see
      if it could be a relative.

      Along those lines, does anyone know of a good resource for wagon
      trains in the 1870's? I do know he came down on one and apparently
      his parents died on the journey.

      As to Jackson County in 1856, I wonder if there were crop failures or
      major problems before the Civil War? Some of my relatives left in
      1883 or so to come to Texas.

      Thanks, Tina

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Johnson" <doublej@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Tina,
      >

      > Saw your answer to Sue and I thought I'd put in my two cents. My
      Jackson
      > County Johnson family were 5S5E in Section 28. William Johnson was
      born
      > about 1822 in Tennessee and married Jane (Jincy) Evans, assumed
      daughter of
      > Thomas Evans and Catherine Gross Evans born 1827 in Alabama
      (assuming
      > Jackson County). The family is in the 1850 US Census T5R5 District
      > dwelling #118 family 118.
      >

      > Close neighbors were Midlin Johnson Dunham, Archabal Evans, and
      Lewis
      > Lindsay. The William and Jincy Johnson family and some of the
      Jackson
      > county folk show up in Texas in 1860 in Beat #1 Hopkins County near
      the
      > White Oak post office dwelling 40 family 40. Next door (dwelling
      41 family
      > 41 is John and Sarah Evans. This John and Sarah Evans were in
      dwelling 111
      > family 111 in the 1850 Jackson County census next door to William
      and
      > Elizabeth Evans in dwelling 112. Keep in mind William Johnson and
      family
      > were close by (in dwelling 118).
      >

      > In Texas, the Johnson family were #40 and the John and Sarah Evans
      family
      > #41.
      >

      > In 1870, The Johnsons show up in Jasper Township, Camden County,
      Missouri in
      > dwelling #19 next door to John and Jane Green (dwelling 20) and C.
      and
      > Melissa Stevens (dwelling 21. William's son Isaac is in dwelling
      22 with
      > his family. The Johnson family surname is spelled "Johnston" in
      this
      > census.
      >

      > Two counties over in Phelps County, Missouri, in the U.S. Census
      in 1870,
      > Spring Creek Township, dwelling 74 family 77, we find John and
      Sarah Evans.
      > Next door is William J. and Ruth Dunham. In the same place in
      1880, we see
      > John P. and Sarah A. Evans at dwelling 50 family 53 next door to
      William J.
      > and Rutha J. Dunham, dwelling 52 family 55.
      >

      > In 1880, the Johnson, end up in Ripley County, Missouri and William
      is now
      > living with son Archibald and is listed as widowed. Jane Evans
      Johnson died
      > sometime between 1870 and 1880.
      >

      > Hopefully, this scattering of data might touch someone else's
      family tree
      > information in the same area because I think a lot of the families
      in
      > Jackson County Alabama who were neighbors had kids who ended up
      marrying
      > each other.
      >

      > Finally, I was wondering if anyone knows why some of the Jackson
      County
      > families headed out to Texas around 1856? I see John and Sarah
      Evans had
      > three children born in Texas in 1856, 1860, and 1858 (In the 1860
      TX census
      > Westly was listed as born in Alabama and in the 1870 Missouri
      census it says
      > TX. I'm assuming they went out to TX about the time of John
      Wesley's birth
      > in 1856.) William Johnson's son, Wm. O. Johnson, Jr. was born in
      TX in
      > 1860.
      >

      > I have not been able to find the burial place for William O. and
      Jane (Jincy
      > Evans) Johnson anywhere. I thought I had a lead with the Phelps
      County
      > Burials because John Wesley is buried there, along with a lot of
      the Evans
      > family, but no luck so far.
      >

      > Sorry for all the loosely assembled data, but the links are so hard
      to find
      > for me, I am dining on scraps.
      >

      > If anyone can add to what I have, I would welcome any input, even
      theories.
      > It would be a great way to start the new year! BTW Happy New Year
      to you
      > all!
      >

      > Jim Johnson

      You

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
        The only place I know that would give you a general idea of what conditions were in Northern AL is from Lawrence Co. two counties over from Jackson Co. Go to the Group Home Website under Links click on Murder and Other Acts of Jackson Co. AL at that site click on Weather, Meteorites, & Earthquakes.

        1856-57 was coldest in Lawrence Co. ever noted from pre-statehood to that time.

        In 1883 Krakatoa exploded affecting the weather for the next five years worldwide. Cold snap in Jan 1886 froze cattle everywhere in Lawrence Co. Great floods Mar and Apr on Tennessee River, half of Chattanooga TN under water. (wonder how Jackson Co. faired?)

        On 31 Aug 1886 Charleston SC earthquake was felt in Northern AL.

        Europeans come to this county during the Little Ice Age which ran from about 1500 to 1850 with minima beginning about1650, 1770, 1800/1850.with each separated by slight warming intervals.

        All it takes is one good volcano exploding and goodby global warming.

        Clay
        Old Ret. Navy Weather Guesser

      • Jim Johnson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
          Hi Tina,

          I didn't know if you knew this, but there was a Colyer Johnson in Jackson
          County, Alabama, who had a land grant in Section 31 of Township 5S Range 5E.
          It was granted in 1831.

          Jim

          <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jim Johnson" <doublej@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , SUE LONG <columbu3@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Ms. Lathrom
          > > Iam researching the Johnson family of that area I was wondering
          > if u might be related to Rosie Johnson Fowler an Earl Johnson.Garth
          > is a smalll commuinty near Holytree, in Paint Rock Valley ,Thank
          You
          > for your help on this,
          > > Sue Sharp Long
          > >
          > > Tina Lathrom <lathrom@> wrote:
          > > Hi there - does anyone know a good reference book to find
          > out some
          > > information about Garth, Alabama? Everytime I search, I get Garth
          > > Brooks ;o) and I'm supposing the town is no longer there? I am
          > assuming
          > > it was once near Scottsboro or Paint Rock? Thanks!!! Tina
          > >
          > > Researching: Jones, Sisk, Havins, Johnson, Pockrus

        • John Green
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
            Sue Sharp Long,

            Could your Rosie Johnson have come from further up the valley? When I
            was a child, I remember a friend of my cousins named either Rosie
            Miller or Rosie Johnson. Her family lived next door to the Beech Grove
            Baptist church just south of Francisco in the 1950's. She would be
            about 60 now.

            John M. Green

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 5, 2008
              Hi Tina and other researchers,

              I found a Collin Johnson in the 1830 Jackson County Census. Could have been
              misspelled from Collier. Family is near the Gross and Evans families. In
              the Township 5S Range 5E land grant info, Colyer Johnson's land grant abuts
              the Gross and Evans families in Section 31. Our families are linked, I
              believe. I descend from William Owen Johnson T5R5 Section 28 who married
              Thomas Evans' daughter Jincy. Alexander Johnson lived next door to Thomas
              Evans in the 1830 Census. Collin (or Collier) Johnson 6 dwellings away from
              Alexander Johnson and Thomas Evans in the 1830 census. If you find anything
              on Alexander Johnson, please let me know. William O. Johnson and parts of
              the Evans family also went to Texas then Missouri in the same time frame.

              Anyone else want to jump in?

              Jim

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
                Hi!

                Haven't heard from you I a while. Have you found parents for Collier
                Johnson?

                Jim Johnson

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
                  Here's another enigma.

                  The 1830 US Census for Jackson County shows Alexander Johnson living next to
                  Thomas Evans with Collier Johnson living 6 houses away. The Patent Map for
                  Jackson County T5-S R5-E Section 31 shows Colyer Johnson's land next to
                  Thomas Evans. They both received their patents in 1831. Nearby in the
                  patent map are William O. Johnson (Patent 1852) and Joshua Johnson (Patent
                  1831 - located in T6-S R5-E Section 7). T6-S R5-E Section 6 is immediately
                  south of and adjoining T5-S R5-E Section 31. I think Alexander, Collier,
                  Joshua, and William are related. In the 1850 U.S. Census for Jackson
                  County, my ancestor William O. Johnson and his wife Jane (or Jincey) Evans
                  (daughter of Thomas Evans) surrounded by many of the original patent owners
                  in T5-S R5-E Section 31 and T6-S R5-E Section 6. Can anyone add anything?
                  Maybe someone has access to the property transfers of these original patents
                  or land plats?

                  Thanks!

                • Jim Johnson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
                    Hi Everyone,

                    Can anyone tell me how you would go about finding information on property
                    transfers from original patents? Maybe I'm looking for a title search. Any
                    idea of the cost? Also, some counties have land plats that show for certain
                    dates who owned what. I have possible ancestors who each owned an original
                    patent in Township 5-S Range 5-E (Huntsville) in Jackson County (Colyer
                    Johnson Section 32 and William O. Johnson in Section 28). Subsequent
                    property transfers or sales might give an indication of family connections.

                    Thanks!

                    Jim Johnson

                  • Jim Johnson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
                      Oops, sorry, Colyer Johnson was Section 31 not 32.

                      Jim