RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Dean ????? Jackson county...circa...1930

  • mark thomas
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
      Are you looking for GW Thomas too, or just interested to know where Dean was?

      The area could have been several miles around or it could have been a store or Post Office....Dean's Chapel is the same way... large area or just an area around a Church.

      The Dutton area would be close, I think???

      rgpipes@... wrote:
      I don't know if anyone ever answered the question of where Dean in Jackson
      County was BUT I would also like to know. I looked at the 1930 census for
      George W. THOMAS and it does say that the census were in Dean but I forgot
      the precinct. Looks like they lived on Pisgah Rpad but can't make out the
      other name on the road. On another census it says Henager Road and I casn't
      make out the other name. Could Dean have been out of Stevenson/Bridgeport
      area going up the mountain that way? I really don't know that much about
      that area.

      Regina

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
        It is obvious that George W. THOMAS lived most of his adult life on Sand
        Mountain, Alabama. In 1900 he and his family were living in Graham, Dekalb
        County, Alabama, 1910 they were living in the Corinth PCT 25 Dekalb County,
        Al. and 1930 Dean PCT. of Jackson County. This PCT covered roads to Pisgah,
        Dutton, Valley Head and several other areas on the Mountain. Hopes this
        helps. I would guess he is buried on the mountain also.

        Regina

        _____

        HYPERLINK
        "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=172427/grpspId=1705040837/msgId=
        9193/stime=1199203341/nc1=5028927/nc2=4776370/nc3=4840956"

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        12:09 PM

      • rgpipes@hughes.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
          I'm not looking for any THOMAS families. I usually just try to help when I
          can. I do know that there is still several THOMAS families on Sand Mountain
          area. My husband worked with a lady that married a THOMAS from there, her
          name is Beruma THOMAS (not sure of her spelling) and her husband had a
          brother Danny THOMAS who worked my my husband's father on the mountain at
          Powell Cross Roads in a lace mill.

          Good Luck.
          Regina

          _____

          From: HYPERLINK
          "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
          looking for George Washington Thomas,b.1856---d.aft.1930; and Julia A.
          Thomas,b.1864---d.aft.1930.--...last record is 1930,Dean,Jackson
          County,Al.Children in 1900 are
          Roena J.,b.1884
          William A.,b.1886
          Ida B. b.1889
          Mary C. b.1892
          Rufie A. b.1894
          Dora b.1900
          In 1910...Beuna B. is added..b.1910

          Thanks,
          Mark

          frances_lambert2000 <HYPERLINK
          "mailto:frances_-lambert2000%-40yahoo.com"HYPERLINK

          m, "Mark" <williet_6757@-->
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
          post
          > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
          help
          > > me as to the location of Dean?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Mark

          12:09 PM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          12:09 PM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          12:09 PM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          12:09 PM

        • mark thomas
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
            I just read through ALL the lists of ALL the folks in Jackson Co. cemeterys and didn't see him. There was one in a cemetery around Russell Cave, but this one didn't seem to fit and it's the wrong location.

            I'll keep looking.

            Thanks so much,

            Mark

            ps...I did find another ancestor, William Carroll Thomas, WC Thomas, in the Union cemetery at Woodville.....Same last name, but different line...he's on my mother's side....Wright, Kennamer, Selvedge, Walls.....

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
              Mark

              To find Dean Chapel and Dean Chapel Cemetery's location google ADAH, click on For Genealogists and Historians, click on Database of newspapers, maps, photos, click on Map Database, scroll down to Alabama- counties, enter Jackson, scroll down to CD-0194, click here and then select map, click on Sylvania Quadrangle, enlarge the map and at top center are Dean Chapel, nearby is Happy Home Church and about 1/2 south of Dean Chapel is Dean Chapel Cemetery.

              On Yahoo Maps Dean Chapel is on AL Highway 40 and just past County Road 22 just as HWY 40 turns NW and about 3 miles from the Jackson/De Kalb Co line and 3 1/2 miles West of Henagar in De Kalb Co. Enter Bowmans Crossroads Alabama in the Yahoo Maps search as it is just to the east of Dean Chapel. This is all on top of Sand Mountain.

            • mark thomas
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                Thanks Clay,
                I know the Dean Chapel area, but I don't know if that's the Dean of the 1930 census. The folks I'm looking for are not listed on any cemetery log, so I don't know if they even stayed in the area after the 1930 census....BUT...given their ages, I believe they would be there.

                Thanks to all for your help.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                  This could be your George W. Thomas buried in Nt. Carmel Cemetery off county
                  road 75 in Bridgeport, Alabama the age is very close.

                  Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                  Yvonne
                  Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                  Yvonne
                  Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                  Yvonne
                  Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                  Yvonne
                  Alfred Jackson
                  "Jack" Thomas 11-16-1920 10-12-1972 PFC U.S. Army WWII,
                  (Ararvla) Thomas 1-1876 5-1922 very hard to read,
                  probably not spelled this way
                  Aaron E. Thomas 5-31-1900 1-2-1969
                  Arthur L. Thomas 2-26-1906 9-10-1994
                  Betty Walker Thomas 5-13-1924 no date
                  Bruce Alvis Thomas 8-16-1903 2-5-1978 Pfc. U.S. Army WWII
                  Collins George Thomas 3-15-1911 9-1-1974 Pfc. U.S. Army
                  David Randle Thomas no date 1-9-1954 baby
                  Dock Thomas 1912 1936
                  Edna Burrows Thomas 4-19-1924 4-23-1987
                  Edward William.
                  "Rooster" Thomas 5-2-1908 5-18-1972
                  Elizabeth Short Thomas 11-3-1924 no date married 6-5-1943,
                  wife of Horace L. Thomas
                  Ernest A. Thomas 4-1-1896 12-22-1942
                  Fred Vernon Thomas 8-26-1926 1-8-1993 S1 U.S. NavyWWII
                  Garl Thomas 7-2-1894 5-10-1972 Pvt. Co. L. 306 Eng.
                  WWI
                  G.W. Thomas 1853 1943
                  George M. Thomas 8-24-1865 10-5-1950
                  Gwendolyn Kay Thomas 7-18-1940 no date wife of Lindsay
                  Walker Thomas Jr.
                  married 12-24-1956
                  Horace L. Thomas 1-14-1918 2-1-1995 Tec 4 U.S. Army
                  WWII
                  James Edward
                  "Big Ed" Thomas 10-1-1918 2-14-1973
                  James Elliott Thomas 12-7-1923 12-7-1923
                  James Lawler Thomas 1832 1-20-1915 Pvt. Co. F 55 Al.
                  Inf. CSA
                  Jay Demmet Thomas 1858 1924 Joseph Demmet Thomas, born
                  March 12, 1858
                  died Nov. 1924, Married 2-28-1889 (Lina Jenkins)
                  Jessie Rollins Thomas 6-2-1913 9-13-1992
                  J.M. Thomas 5-21-1866 6-15-1900
                  Joann Thomas 10-2-1937 2-11-1995
                  Joe J. Thomas 1875 1948 Co. K. Al. Inf. CSA
                  Joe John Thomas 11-3-1942 7-3-1998 PFC U.S. Army
                  John A. Thomas 8-1871 10-1926
                  Kate A. Thomas 7-17-1909 12-28-1989
                  Lawrence Curt Thomas 11-18-1925 12-5-1972
                  Leslie "Les" Thomas 9-18-1917 10-31-1971
                  Lina Jenkins Thomas 1869 1911 Paulina Ellen Jenkins
                  Thomas, born 11-19-1869
                  died 3-2-1911, married 2-28-1889
                  Lindsey Thomas 3-13-1908 1-14-1960
                  Lindsay Walker Thomas Jr. 6-17-1937 4-10-2002
                  Louis Elmer Thomas only date 9-2-1924 Al. Fireman 2 CL USN
                  RF
                  Lucy Thomas 1879 1943
                  Margarett Daly Thomas 1-15-1916 7-2-1919
                  Margarette E.
                  Waddell Thomas 11-10-1860 9-23-1912
                  Margaret W. Thomas 4-26-1908 8-17-1973
                  Mary Cantrell Thomas 5-11-1884 5-19-1966
                  Mary Frances Thomas 9-25-1926 9-29-1926
                  Mary Helen Thomas 7-6-1897 12-8-1978
                  Margaret L. Thomas 5-16-1931 11-12-2000
                  Mason Thomas 10-23-1843 4-25-1925 Pvt. Co. G 3rd Cav.
                  CSA
                  Ray K. Thomas 12-5-1928 no date
                  Robert Alvis Thomas 12-7-1923 7-24-2002
                  Roy Hugh Thomas 4-24-1905 12-11-1971
                  Susan J. Thomas 9-17-1833 3-6-1913
                  Tennie C. Thomas 4-13-1869 9-16-1950
                  Virgil James Thomas 2-9-1902 3-26-1966
                  W. Edward Thomas 5-31-1873 10-17-1947
                  Walter Thomas 1-21-1932 9-2-1993
                  William D. Thomas 5-23-1917 8-7-1947 WWII
                  William G. Thomas 5-23-1917 8-22-1944 Pvt. 80 Regt. FA TNG
                  Center Tennessee WWII
                  William H. Thomas 5-1-1832 5-23-1910 husband of Susan J.
                  Thomas,
                  married 2-17-1856, CSA
                  William Tracy Thomas 2-8-1898 8-7-1947
                  Yvonne Triplett Thomas 10-16-1908 9-4-1992

                  _____

                  From: HYPERLINK

                  <williet_6757@--...> wrote:

                  > I'm looking for the Thomas folks. Thanks for the reply.
                  >
                  > frances_lambert2000 <frances_lambert200--0@...> wrote: There
                  is a Dean Chapel Cemetery On sand mountain T5s R8E Sec 8 Some
                  > names are mcguire,
                  > corbin,dean,--elliott,-mckenzie--,millican,--ragsdale,--thomas.
                  > --- In HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:jacksongene-alogy%40yahoogro-ups.com"jacksong-enealogy@--yahoogroups
                  .--co
                  m, "Mark" <williet_6757@-->
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
                  post
                  > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
                  help
                  > > me as to the location of Dean?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Mark

                  12:09 PM

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  12:09 PM

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  12:09 PM

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  12:09 PM

                • lewatkins
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
                      Please send me this line of Thomas as I'm not familiar with Mary Parrott Thomas.

                      My e-mail is williet_6757@....

                      I am related to at least two seperate lines in Jackson co. The William Carroll Thomas line from Thomas Cove near Kennamer Cove and the John Jack Thomas line from Cherokee co. and Ga.

                      Thanks,
                      Mark