RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Dean ????? Jackson county...circa...1930

  • rgpipes@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
      I don't know if anyone ever answered the question of where Dean in Jackson
      County was BUT I would also like to know. I looked at the 1930 census for
      George W. THOMAS and it does say that the census were in Dean but I forgot
      the precinct. Looks like they lived on Pisgah Rpad but can't make out the
      other name on the road. On another census it says Henager Road and I casn't
      make out the other name. Could Dean have been out of Stevenson/Bridgeport
      area going up the mountain that way? I really don't know that much about
      that area.

      Regina

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
        Are you looking for GW Thomas too, or just interested to know where Dean was?

        The area could have been several miles around or it could have been a store or Post Office....Dean's Chapel is the same way... large area or just an area around a Church.

        The Dutton area would be close, I think???

        m, "Mark" <williet_6757@->
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
        post
        > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
        help
        > > me as to the location of Dean?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Mark

        12:09 PM

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        12:09 PM

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
          It is obvious that George W. THOMAS lived most of his adult life on Sand
          Mountain, Alabama. In 1900 he and his family were living in Graham, Dekalb
          County, Alabama, 1910 they were living in the Corinth PCT 25 Dekalb County,
          Al. and 1930 Dean PCT. of Jackson County. This PCT covered roads to Pisgah,
          Dutton, Valley Head and several other areas on the Mountain. Hopes this
          helps. I would guess he is buried on the mountain also.

          Regina

          _____

          HYPERLINK
          "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=172427/grpspId=1705040837/msgId=
          9193/stime=1199203341/nc1=5028927/nc2=4776370/nc3=4840956"

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          12:09 PM

        • rgpipes@hughes.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
            I'm not looking for any THOMAS families. I usually just try to help when I
            can. I do know that there is still several THOMAS families on Sand Mountain
            area. My husband worked with a lady that married a THOMAS from there, her
            name is Beruma THOMAS (not sure of her spelling) and her husband had a
            brother Danny THOMAS who worked my my husband's father on the mountain at
            Powell Cross Roads in a lace mill.

            Good Luck.
            Regina

            _____

            From: HYPERLINK
            "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
            looking for George Washington Thomas,b.1856---d.aft.1930; and Julia A.
            Thomas,b.1864---d.aft.1930.--...last record is 1930,Dean,Jackson
            County,Al.Children in 1900 are
            Roena J.,b.1884
            William A.,b.1886
            Ida B. b.1889
            Mary C. b.1892
            Rufie A. b.1894
            Dora b.1900
            In 1910...Beuna B. is added..b.1910

            Thanks,
            Mark

            frances_lambert2000 <HYPERLINK
            "mailto:frances_-lambert2000%-40yahoo.com"HYPERLINK

            m, "Mark" <williet_6757@-->
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
            post
            > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
            help
            > > me as to the location of Dean?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Mark

            12:09 PM

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            12:09 PM

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            12:09 PM

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            12:09 PM

          • mark thomas
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
              I just read through ALL the lists of ALL the folks in Jackson Co. cemeterys and didn't see him. There was one in a cemetery around Russell Cave, but this one didn't seem to fit and it's the wrong location.

              I'll keep looking.

              Thanks so much,

              Mark

              ps...I did find another ancestor, William Carroll Thomas, WC Thomas, in the Union cemetery at Woodville.....Same last name, but different line...he's on my mother's side....Wright, Kennamer, Selvedge, Walls.....

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                Mark

                To find Dean Chapel and Dean Chapel Cemetery's location google ADAH, click on For Genealogists and Historians, click on Database of newspapers, maps, photos, click on Map Database, scroll down to Alabama- counties, enter Jackson, scroll down to CD-0194, click here and then select map, click on Sylvania Quadrangle, enlarge the map and at top center are Dean Chapel, nearby is Happy Home Church and about 1/2 south of Dean Chapel is Dean Chapel Cemetery.

                On Yahoo Maps Dean Chapel is on AL Highway 40 and just past County Road 22 just as HWY 40 turns NW and about 3 miles from the Jackson/De Kalb Co line and 3 1/2 miles West of Henagar in De Kalb Co. Enter Bowmans Crossroads Alabama in the Yahoo Maps search as it is just to the east of Dean Chapel. This is all on top of Sand Mountain.

              • mark thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Thanks Clay,
                  I know the Dean Chapel area, but I don't know if that's the Dean of the 1930 census. The folks I'm looking for are not listed on any cemetery log, so I don't know if they even stayed in the area after the 1930 census....BUT...given their ages, I believe they would be there.

                  Thanks to all for your help.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                    This could be your George W. Thomas buried in Nt. Carmel Cemetery off county
                    road 75 in Bridgeport, Alabama the age is very close.

                    Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                    Yvonne
                    Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                    Yvonne
                    Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                    Yvonne
                    Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                    Yvonne
                    Alfred Jackson
                    "Jack" Thomas 11-16-1920 10-12-1972 PFC U.S. Army WWII,
                    (Ararvla) Thomas 1-1876 5-1922 very hard to read,
                    probably not spelled this way
                    Aaron E. Thomas 5-31-1900 1-2-1969
                    Arthur L. Thomas 2-26-1906 9-10-1994
                    Betty Walker Thomas 5-13-1924 no date
                    Bruce Alvis Thomas 8-16-1903 2-5-1978 Pfc. U.S. Army WWII
                    Collins George Thomas 3-15-1911 9-1-1974 Pfc. U.S. Army
                    David Randle Thomas no date 1-9-1954 baby
                    Dock Thomas 1912 1936
                    Edna Burrows Thomas 4-19-1924 4-23-1987
                    Edward William.
                    "Rooster" Thomas 5-2-1908 5-18-1972
                    Elizabeth Short Thomas 11-3-1924 no date married 6-5-1943,
                    wife of Horace L. Thomas
                    Ernest A. Thomas 4-1-1896 12-22-1942
                    Fred Vernon Thomas 8-26-1926 1-8-1993 S1 U.S. NavyWWII
                    Garl Thomas 7-2-1894 5-10-1972 Pvt. Co. L. 306 Eng.
                    WWI
                    G.W. Thomas 1853 1943
                    George M. Thomas 8-24-1865 10-5-1950
                    Gwendolyn Kay Thomas 7-18-1940 no date wife of Lindsay
                    Walker Thomas Jr.
                    married 12-24-1956
                    Horace L. Thomas 1-14-1918 2-1-1995 Tec 4 U.S. Army
                    WWII
                    James Edward
                    "Big Ed" Thomas 10-1-1918 2-14-1973
                    James Elliott Thomas 12-7-1923 12-7-1923
                    James Lawler Thomas 1832 1-20-1915 Pvt. Co. F 55 Al.
                    Inf. CSA
                    Jay Demmet Thomas 1858 1924 Joseph Demmet Thomas, born
                    March 12, 1858
                    died Nov. 1924, Married 2-28-1889 (Lina Jenkins)
                    Jessie Rollins Thomas 6-2-1913 9-13-1992
                    J.M. Thomas 5-21-1866 6-15-1900
                    Joann Thomas 10-2-1937 2-11-1995
                    Joe J. Thomas 1875 1948 Co. K. Al. Inf. CSA
                    Joe John Thomas 11-3-1942 7-3-1998 PFC U.S. Army
                    John A. Thomas 8-1871 10-1926
                    Kate A. Thomas 7-17-1909 12-28-1989
                    Lawrence Curt Thomas 11-18-1925 12-5-1972
                    Leslie "Les" Thomas 9-18-1917 10-31-1971
                    Lina Jenkins Thomas 1869 1911 Paulina Ellen Jenkins
                    Thomas, born 11-19-1869
                    died 3-2-1911, married 2-28-1889
                    Lindsey Thomas 3-13-1908 1-14-1960
                    Lindsay Walker Thomas Jr. 6-17-1937 4-10-2002
                    Louis Elmer Thomas only date 9-2-1924 Al. Fireman 2 CL USN
                    RF
                    Lucy Thomas 1879 1943
                    Margarett Daly Thomas 1-15-1916 7-2-1919
                    Margarette E.
                    Waddell Thomas 11-10-1860 9-23-1912
                    Margaret W. Thomas 4-26-1908 8-17-1973
                    Mary Cantrell Thomas 5-11-1884 5-19-1966
                    Mary Frances Thomas 9-25-1926 9-29-1926
                    Mary Helen Thomas 7-6-1897 12-8-1978
                    Margaret L. Thomas 5-16-1931 11-12-2000
                    Mason Thomas 10-23-1843 4-25-1925 Pvt. Co. G 3rd Cav.
                    CSA
                    Ray K. Thomas 12-5-1928 no date
                    Robert Alvis Thomas 12-7-1923 7-24-2002
                    Roy Hugh Thomas 4-24-1905 12-11-1971
                    Susan J. Thomas 9-17-1833 3-6-1913
                    Tennie C. Thomas 4-13-1869 9-16-1950
                    Virgil James Thomas 2-9-1902 3-26-1966
                    W. Edward Thomas 5-31-1873 10-17-1947
                    Walter Thomas 1-21-1932 9-2-1993
                    William D. Thomas 5-23-1917 8-7-1947 WWII
                    William G. Thomas 5-23-1917 8-22-1944 Pvt. 80 Regt. FA TNG
                    Center Tennessee WWII
                    William H. Thomas 5-1-1832 5-23-1910 husband of Susan J.
                    Thomas,
                    married 2-17-1856, CSA
                    William Tracy Thomas 2-8-1898 8-7-1947
                    Yvonne Triplett Thomas 10-16-1908 9-4-1992

                    _____

                    From: HYPERLINK

                    <williet_6757@--...> wrote:

                    > I'm looking for the Thomas folks. Thanks for the reply.
                    >
                    > frances_lambert2000 <frances_lambert200--0@...> wrote: There
                    is a Dean Chapel Cemetery On sand mountain T5s R8E Sec 8 Some
                    > names are mcguire,
                    > corbin,dean,--elliott,-mckenzie--,millican,--ragsdale,--thomas.
                    > --- In HYPERLINK
                    "mailto:jacksongene-alogy%40yahoogro-ups.com"jacksong-enealogy@--yahoogroups
                    .--co
                    m, "Mark" <williet_6757@-->
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
                    post
                    > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
                    help
                    > > me as to the location of Dean?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Mark

                    12:09 PM

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    12:09 PM

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    12:09 PM

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    12:09 PM

                  • lewatkins
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Please send me this line of Thomas as I'm not familiar with Mary Parrott Thomas.

                        My e-mail is williet_6757@....

                        I am related to at least two seperate lines in Jackson co. The William Carroll Thomas line from Thomas Cove near Kennamer Cove and the John Jack Thomas line from Cherokee co. and Ga.

                        Thanks,
                        Mark