Dean ????? Jackson county...circa...1930

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2007
      I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or post
      office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to help
      me as to the location of Dean?

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • frances_lambert2000
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
        There is a Dean Chapel Cemetery On sand mountain T5s R8E Sec 8 Some
        names are mcguire,
        corbin,dean,elliott,mckenzie,millican,ragsdale,thomas.
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <williet_6757@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or post
        > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to help
        > me as to the location of Dean?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mark

      • mark thomas
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
          I'm looking for the Thomas folks. Thanks for the reply.

          frances_lambert2000 <frances_lambert2000@...> wrote: There is a Dean Chapel Cemetery On sand mountain T5s R8E Sec 8 Some
          wrote:

          > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or post
          > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to help
          > me as to the location of Dean?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mark

        • frances_lambert2000
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
            These are the Thomas That are buried in Deans Chapel Cem.
            Olive Thomas B:8-3-1893 D:12-29-1947
            Charles A Thomas B:5-2-1866 D:12-13-1940
            Mattie E Thomas B:1-31-1867 D:7-11-1937
            John Marshall Thomas B:6-8-1911 D1-14-1990
            Hope This Helps

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, mark thomas
            <williet_6757@...> wrote:

            > I'm looking for the Thomas folks. Thanks for the reply.
            >
            > frances_lambert2000 <frances_lambert2000@...> wrote: There
            is a Dean Chapel Cemetery On sand mountain T5s R8E Sec 8 Some
            > names are mcguire,
            > corbin,dean,elliott,mckenzie,millican,ragsdale,thomas.
            > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <williet_6757@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
            post
            > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
            help
            > > me as to the location of Dean?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Mark

          • mark thomas
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
              looking for George Washington Thomas,b.1856-d.aft.1930; and Julia A. Thomas,b.1864-d.aft.1930....last record is 1930,Dean,Jackson County,Al.Children in 1900 are
              Roena J.,b.1884
              William A.,b.1886
              Ida B. b.1889
              Mary C. b.1892
              Rufie A. b.1894
              Dora b.1900
              In 1910...Beuna B. is added..b.1910

              Thanks,
              Mark

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                I don't know if anyone ever answered the question of where Dean in Jackson
                County was BUT I would also like to know. I looked at the 1930 census for
                George W. THOMAS and it does say that the census were in Dean but I forgot
                the precinct. Looks like they lived on Pisgah Rpad but can't make out the
                other name on the road. On another census it says Henager Road and I casn't
                make out the other name. Could Dean have been out of Stevenson/Bridgeport
                area going up the mountain that way? I really don't know that much about
                that area.

                Regina

                _____

                looking for George Washington Thomas,b.1856--d.aft.1930; and Julia A.
                Thomas,b.1864--d.aft.1930.-...last record is 1930,Dean,Jackson
                County,Al.Children in 1900 are
                Roena J.,b.1884
                William A.,b.1886
                Ida B. b.1889
                Mary C. b.1892
                Rufie A. b.1894
                Dora b.1900
                In 1910...Beuna B. is added..b.1910

                Thanks,
                Mark

                frances_lambert2000 <HYPERLINK
                "mailto:frances_lambert2000%40yahoo.com"frances_lambert2000-@...>
                wrote:
                These are the Thomas That are buried in Deans Chapel Cem.
                Olive Thomas B:8-3-1893 D:12-29-1947
                Charles A Thomas B:5-2-1866 D:12-13-1940
                Mattie E Thomas B:1-31-1867 D:7-11-1937
                John Marshall Thomas B:6-8-1911 D1-14-1990
                Hope This Helps

                --- In HYPERLINK
                "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
                m, mark thomas

                m, "Mark" <williet_6757@->
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
                post
                > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
                help
                > > me as to the location of Dean?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Mark

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                12:09 PM

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                12:09 PM

              • mark thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Are you looking for GW Thomas too, or just interested to know where Dean was?

                  The area could have been several miles around or it could have been a store or Post Office....Dean's Chapel is the same way... large area or just an area around a Church.

                  The Dutton area would be close, I think???

                  <williet_6757@-...> wrote:

                  > I'm looking for the Thomas folks. Thanks for the reply.
                  >
                  > frances_lambert2000 <frances_lambert200-0@...> wrote: There
                  is a Dean Chapel Cemetery On sand mountain T5s R8E Sec 8 Some
                  > names are mcguire,
                  > corbin,dean,-elliott,mckenzie-,millican,-ragsdale,-thomas.
                  > --- In HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
                  m, "Mark" <williet_6757@->
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
                  post
                  > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
                  help
                  > > me as to the location of Dean?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Mark

                  12:09 PM

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  12:09 PM

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                    It is obvious that George W. THOMAS lived most of his adult life on Sand
                    Mountain, Alabama. In 1900 he and his family were living in Graham, Dekalb
                    County, Alabama, 1910 they were living in the Corinth PCT 25 Dekalb County,
                    Al. and 1930 Dean PCT. of Jackson County. This PCT covered roads to Pisgah,
                    Dutton, Valley Head and several other areas on the Mountain. Hopes this
                    helps. I would guess he is buried on the mountain also.

                    Regina

                    _____

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=172427/grpspId=1705040837/msgId=
                    9193/stime=1199203341/nc1=5028927/nc2=4776370/nc3=4840956"

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    12:09 PM

                  • rgpipes@hughes.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                      I'm not looking for any THOMAS families. I usually just try to help when I
                      can. I do know that there is still several THOMAS families on Sand Mountain
                      area. My husband worked with a lady that married a THOMAS from there, her
                      name is Beruma THOMAS (not sure of her spelling) and her husband had a
                      brother Danny THOMAS who worked my my husband's father on the mountain at
                      Powell Cross Roads in a lace mill.

                      Good Luck.
                      Regina

                      _____

                      From: HYPERLINK
                      "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
                      looking for George Washington Thomas,b.1856---d.aft.1930; and Julia A.
                      Thomas,b.1864---d.aft.1930.--...last record is 1930,Dean,Jackson
                      County,Al.Children in 1900 are
                      Roena J.,b.1884
                      William A.,b.1886
                      Ida B. b.1889
                      Mary C. b.1892
                      Rufie A. b.1894
                      Dora b.1900
                      In 1910...Beuna B. is added..b.1910

                      Thanks,
                      Mark

                      frances_lambert2000 <HYPERLINK
                      "mailto:frances_-lambert2000%-40yahoo.com"HYPERLINK

                      <williet_6757@--...> wrote:

                      > I'm looking for the Thomas folks. Thanks for the reply.
                      >
                      > frances_lambert2000 <frances_lambert200--0@...> wrote: There
                      is a Dean Chapel Cemetery On sand mountain T5s R8E Sec 8 Some
                      > names are mcguire,
                      > corbin,dean,--elliott,-mckenzie--,millican,--ragsdale,--thomas.
                      > --- In HYPERLINK
                      "mailto:jacksongene-alogy%40yahoogro-ups.com"jacksong-enealogy@--yahoogroups
                      .--co
                      m, "Mark" <williet_6757@-->
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
                      post
                      > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
                      help
                      > > me as to the location of Dean?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Mark

                      12:09 PM

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      12:09 PM

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      12:09 PM

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      12:09 PM

                    • mark thomas
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                        I just read through ALL the lists of ALL the folks in Jackson Co. cemeterys and didn't see him. There was one in a cemetery around Russell Cave, but this one didn't seem to fit and it's the wrong location.

                        I'll keep looking.

                        Thanks so much,

                        Mark

                        ps...I did find another ancestor, William Carroll Thomas, WC Thomas, in the Union cemetery at Woodville.....Same last name, but different line...he's on my mother's side....Wright, Kennamer, Selvedge, Walls.....

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                          Mark

                          To find Dean Chapel and Dean Chapel Cemetery's location google ADAH, click on For Genealogists and Historians, click on Database of newspapers, maps, photos, click on Map Database, scroll down to Alabama- counties, enter Jackson, scroll down to CD-0194, click here and then select map, click on Sylvania Quadrangle, enlarge the map and at top center are Dean Chapel, nearby is Happy Home Church and about 1/2 south of Dean Chapel is Dean Chapel Cemetery.

                          On Yahoo Maps Dean Chapel is on AL Highway 40 and just past County Road 22 just as HWY 40 turns NW and about 3 miles from the Jackson/De Kalb Co line and 3 1/2 miles West of Henagar in De Kalb Co. Enter Bowmans Crossroads Alabama in the Yahoo Maps search as it is just to the east of Dean Chapel. This is all on top of Sand Mountain.

                        • mark thomas
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                            Thanks Clay,
                            I know the Dean Chapel area, but I don't know if that's the Dean of the 1930 census. The folks I'm looking for are not listed on any cemetery log, so I don't know if they even stayed in the area after the 1930 census....BUT...given their ages, I believe they would be there.

                            Thanks to all for your help.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2008
                              This could be your George W. Thomas buried in Nt. Carmel Cemetery off county
                              road 75 in Bridgeport, Alabama the age is very close.

                              Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                              Yvonne
                              Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                              Yvonne
                              Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                              Yvonne
                              Thomas, no dates on headstone infant of Roy &
                              Yvonne
                              Alfred Jackson
                              "Jack" Thomas 11-16-1920 10-12-1972 PFC U.S. Army WWII,
                              (Ararvla) Thomas 1-1876 5-1922 very hard to read,
                              probably not spelled this way
                              Aaron E. Thomas 5-31-1900 1-2-1969
                              Arthur L. Thomas 2-26-1906 9-10-1994
                              Betty Walker Thomas 5-13-1924 no date
                              Bruce Alvis Thomas 8-16-1903 2-5-1978 Pfc. U.S. Army WWII
                              Collins George Thomas 3-15-1911 9-1-1974 Pfc. U.S. Army
                              David Randle Thomas no date 1-9-1954 baby
                              Dock Thomas 1912 1936
                              Edna Burrows Thomas 4-19-1924 4-23-1987
                              Edward William.
                              "Rooster" Thomas 5-2-1908 5-18-1972
                              Elizabeth Short Thomas 11-3-1924 no date married 6-5-1943,
                              wife of Horace L. Thomas
                              Ernest A. Thomas 4-1-1896 12-22-1942
                              Fred Vernon Thomas 8-26-1926 1-8-1993 S1 U.S. NavyWWII
                              Garl Thomas 7-2-1894 5-10-1972 Pvt. Co. L. 306 Eng.
                              WWI
                              G.W. Thomas 1853 1943
                              George M. Thomas 8-24-1865 10-5-1950
                              Gwendolyn Kay Thomas 7-18-1940 no date wife of Lindsay
                              Walker Thomas Jr.
                              married 12-24-1956
                              Horace L. Thomas 1-14-1918 2-1-1995 Tec 4 U.S. Army
                              WWII
                              James Edward
                              "Big Ed" Thomas 10-1-1918 2-14-1973
                              James Elliott Thomas 12-7-1923 12-7-1923
                              James Lawler Thomas 1832 1-20-1915 Pvt. Co. F 55 Al.
                              Inf. CSA
                              Jay Demmet Thomas 1858 1924 Joseph Demmet Thomas, born
                              March 12, 1858
                              died Nov. 1924, Married 2-28-1889 (Lina Jenkins)
                              Jessie Rollins Thomas 6-2-1913 9-13-1992
                              J.M. Thomas 5-21-1866 6-15-1900
                              Joann Thomas 10-2-1937 2-11-1995
                              Joe J. Thomas 1875 1948 Co. K. Al. Inf. CSA
                              Joe John Thomas 11-3-1942 7-3-1998 PFC U.S. Army
                              John A. Thomas 8-1871 10-1926
                              Kate A. Thomas 7-17-1909 12-28-1989
                              Lawrence Curt Thomas 11-18-1925 12-5-1972
                              Leslie "Les" Thomas 9-18-1917 10-31-1971
                              Lina Jenkins Thomas 1869 1911 Paulina Ellen Jenkins
                              Thomas, born 11-19-1869
                              died 3-2-1911, married 2-28-1889
                              Lindsey Thomas 3-13-1908 1-14-1960
                              Lindsay Walker Thomas Jr. 6-17-1937 4-10-2002
                              Louis Elmer Thomas only date 9-2-1924 Al. Fireman 2 CL USN
                              RF
                              Lucy Thomas 1879 1943
                              Margarett Daly Thomas 1-15-1916 7-2-1919
                              Margarette E.
                              Waddell Thomas 11-10-1860 9-23-1912
                              Margaret W. Thomas 4-26-1908 8-17-1973
                              Mary Cantrell Thomas 5-11-1884 5-19-1966
                              Mary Frances Thomas 9-25-1926 9-29-1926
                              Mary Helen Thomas 7-6-1897 12-8-1978
                              Margaret L. Thomas 5-16-1931 11-12-2000
                              Mason Thomas 10-23-1843 4-25-1925 Pvt. Co. G 3rd Cav.
                              CSA
                              Ray K. Thomas 12-5-1928 no date
                              Robert Alvis Thomas 12-7-1923 7-24-2002
                              Roy Hugh Thomas 4-24-1905 12-11-1971
                              Susan J. Thomas 9-17-1833 3-6-1913
                              Tennie C. Thomas 4-13-1869 9-16-1950
                              Virgil James Thomas 2-9-1902 3-26-1966
                              W. Edward Thomas 5-31-1873 10-17-1947
                              Walter Thomas 1-21-1932 9-2-1993
                              William D. Thomas 5-23-1917 8-7-1947 WWII
                              William G. Thomas 5-23-1917 8-22-1944 Pvt. 80 Regt. FA TNG
                              Center Tennessee WWII
                              William H. Thomas 5-1-1832 5-23-1910 husband of Susan J.
                              Thomas,
                              married 2-17-1856, CSA
                              William Tracy Thomas 2-8-1898 8-7-1947
                              Yvonne Triplett Thomas 10-16-1908 9-4-1992

                              _____

                              From: HYPERLINK

                              <williet_6757@--...> wrote:

                              > I'm looking for the Thomas folks. Thanks for the reply.
                              >
                              > frances_lambert2000 <frances_lambert200--0@...> wrote: There
                              is a Dean Chapel Cemetery On sand mountain T5s R8E Sec 8 Some
                              > names are mcguire,
                              > corbin,dean,--elliott,-mckenzie--,millican,--ragsdale,--thomas.
                              > --- In HYPERLINK
                              "mailto:jacksongene-alogy%40yahoogro-ups.com"jacksong-enealogy@--yahoogroups
                              .--co
                              m, "Mark" <williet_6757@-->
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I'm still looking for Dean. Don't know if it was a community or
                              post
                              > > office or store or what. BUT it was a census area.Anyone able to
                              help
                              > > me as to the location of Dean?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > > Mark

                              12:09 PM

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              12:09 PM

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              12:09 PM

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              12:09 PM

                            • lewatkins
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 4, 2008
                                  Please send me this line of Thomas as I'm not familiar with Mary Parrott Thomas.

                                  My e-mail is williet_6757@....

                                  I am related to at least two seperate lines in Jackson co. The William Carroll Thomas line from Thomas Cove near Kennamer Cove and the John Jack Thomas line from Cherokee co. and Ga.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Mark