Bill Bradford's photo of the Daniel Martin Inn around 1970

  • nettiebau1952
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2007
      While visiting our family in Scottsboro last week, I ran across this
      photo that my father-in-law Bill Bradford had taken of the Daniel
      Martin Inn in Bellefonte around 1970. It is the best and most complete
      I have seen and I though some of you might be interested in it. I
      updated it to an album named Bradford. Of course, nothing remains of
      the inn now but the chimney.

      I also drove by the Bellefonte Cemetery and wanted to congratulate all
      of you involved in the restoration of this place and the addition of
      the historical marker. This place was all but lost last time I visited
      it, and it was wonderful to see it now, so clean, accessible, and
      peaceful. Thank you to all involved.

      I also visited the Phillips Cemetery in Hollywood and have photos of
      the Clendenon, Phillips, and Bradford graves in that small cemetery, if
      anyone is interested.

      Annette Bradford
    • rgpipes@hughes.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2007
        Annette,
        Did you get by the Old Baptist Cemetery in Hollywood? There is a lot of
        BRADFORD buried there. Several of them were killed in a storm that wiped
        out a lot of things in Jackson county several years ago.

        Regina

        _____

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        11:51 AM

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        11:51 AM

      • Judi Weaver
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008
          Annette, Judi here, I had coffee this morning with Mr. Bill and he told me about the photo of the Martin Inn. I am hopeful that he is bringing me a copy for the Center. Sorry that I missed seeing you guys at Christmas. I wish you the best of New Years. Judi Weaver
[...]

          http://www.eset.com

        • nettiebau1952
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2008
            How good to hear from you, Judi. Please ask Bill if he knows where
            the negative is, but if he doesn't (it was nearly 40 years ago...), I
            will print the picture and send it to you. His would be better if he
            can find it. I got my shot by copying a print with a digital camera.

            I heard from Ann Chambless and she tells me that despite popular
            notions that this is the Daniel Martin Inn, it is actually the Daniel
            Martin home. Here is what she told me:

            "We have learned the old house at Bellefonte was NOT the Daniel
            Martin Inn. Early Bellefonte deeds show the Daniel Martin Inn was on
            the public square (lots on the p. square began with Lot No. 1 and run
            through Lot 30.) When Lot 19 was sold in 1832, the deed mentioned
            that Lot 19 joined Daniel Martin's lot and that Martin's place was on
            the south corner of the public square."

            A drawing was made and sold "of the old house under the title of the
            Bellefonte Inn. When pictures of the old house began to run in the
            local papers, two different Martin descendants told me the house was
            built as a private residence by one of Daniel Martin's sons and was
            not the old Bellefonte Inn. As best we can tell, the house would have
            been on a lot within the group whose numbers exceeded 100. Based on
            early Martin deeds, it could have been numbered anywhere from 102 to
            145. Although we can not confirm the exact lot number, we do know
            this house (only the chimney remains) was a long city block from the
            Bellefonte public square and the cited Lot 19."

            Back to Annette: We are using the Bradford photo album to post
            historical pictures of general interest of Jackson County. There is
            one other picture out there now, a 1940s shot of the south side of
            the square in Scottsboro. My husband is scanning and posting First
            Monday shots from the early 60s out there today, so you might want to
            check back later if you are interested.

            Annette Bradford

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Judi Weaver" <heritage@...>
            wrote:

            > Annette, Judi here, I had coffee this morning with Mr. Bill and he
            told me about the photo of the Martin Inn. I am hopeful that he is
            bringing me a copy for the Center. Sorry that I missed seeing you
            guys at Christmas. I wish you the best of New Years. Judi Weaver
            Martin Inn around 1970