Visit the Scottsboro

  • nanahhcl
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
      I plan on being in Scottsboro in the Spring and was wondering if anyone
      can tell me if the courthouse still stores old marriage, birth and
      death records on microfilm? I haven't been to Scottsboro in 15 years
      and I'm sure it has changed. I am thinking about starting an indepth
      searh of my father's family. Any information would be appreciated.
      Thank you.
    • Sharon Henson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
        Maybe someone can help you on here with your Father's Family. Please give names and dates and other info that you may have. I don't know anything about Scottsboro since I haven't been there since I was 5 years old but just thought that someone on here might have him in their family tree.
        My ancestor from Jackson County, Alabama is Eliga "Lige" Wilson who was born in 1932 in South Carolina and died according to his tombstone on June 2, 1916 at the age of 84 years and is buried in the Pisgah Cemetery along side of his Wife, Sarah Elizabeth Stogsdill. There is no birthdate on his tombstone. I haven't been able to find one either. He is my Mother's Mother's Father. He is my BRICK WALL and it has been a tough one to crack. I can find him in the 1870; 1880; 1900 and 1910 census but haven't been able to find anything else out about him except he married Sarah E. Stogsdill on May 13, 1869 and their first child a boy named Benjamin F. Wilson was born in early January of 1870. They had 4 more children by 1880 when my Grandmother, Susan A. {Angeline} was born. She married John Nelson Gay, also of Jackson County, Alabama in 1908. He was much older than she as he was born in 1836 and died August 18, 1914 and is buried in the Smelser Cemetery on Rough Creek in San Saba
        County, Texas.
        Sharon Langham Henson

        nanahhcl <hhcl@...> wrote: I plan on being in Scottsboro in the Spring and was wondering if anyone
        can tell me if the courthouse still stores old marriage, birth and
        death records on microfilm? I haven't been to Scottsboro in 15 years
        and I'm sure it has changed. I am thinking about starting an indepth
        searh of my father's family. Any information would be appreciated.
        Thank you.

      • hulsey35950
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "nanahhcl" <hhcl@...> wrote:

          > I plan on being in Scottsboro in the Spring and was wondering if
          anyone
          > can tell me if the courthouse still stores old marriage, birth and
          > death records on microfilm? I haven't been to Scottsboro in 15 years
          > and I'm sure it has changed. I am thinking about starting an indepth
          > searh of my father's family. Any information would be appreciated.
          > Thank you.

          You might check with Rudder's funeral homes - they have been in
          Stevenson, Scotsboro & Bridgeport for yrs. 1-256-437-2971!!!
        • brentw50
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
            The Probate Judge's vault has an enormous amount of information. Rumor
            has it that they are going to put it on computer or are already in the
            process of doing that. I hope that is the case and that whomever enters
            the information does it correctly. We have found our Derrick relative
            listed as Deourch or some crazy spelling like that!

            Happy hunting and don't forget to visit the Heritage Center while you
            are in Scottsboro. Ann has done an enormous amount of work there.
            It's well worth the trip!
          • Jewel Casey
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
              You know it takes a courageous person to attempt to read the old records and I admire anyone who tries it. The writing sometimes is unreadable and we have to guess what the writer was trying to spell. Good luck to all these people who are trying to help us find our ancestors. It is really mind boggling!!!

              Jewel

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
                I completely agree. The original records are old, dusty, sometimes faded and sometimes just impossible to read but without them we would have a lot more digging to do!

                Jewel Casey <jcasey@...> wrote: You know it takes a courageous person to attempt to read the old records and I admire anyone who tries it. The writing sometimes is unreadable and we have to guess what the writer was trying to spell. Good luck to all these people who are trying to help us find our ancestors. It is really mind boggling!!!

                Jewel