Widows Civil War Pension

  • billeckfamily
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
      If I'm reading the costs of the records for NARA for Civil War
      soldiers, it's $25 for the service record or $75 for the pension &
      service record.

      I have a real doozy. My CW ancestor deserted and was then
      arrested/captured for his desertion. I can not find him in the 1870
      census.

      His widow was still alive in the 1910 census. I don't know if she
      could apply since he deserted. I hate spending the extra $50.00 for no
      reason.

      Does Jackson Co. have any books/ documents showing which widows
      received a pension?
    • Ann B. Chambless
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
        Please state name of Civil War widow in question.
        Ann Chambless

      • Terri Billeck
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
          Her name was Jane Winchester, wife of Joseph
          Winchester. (Her full name was Mary Jane, but she
          went by Jane.)

          Thank you for any help on this.

          Terri

          --- "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

          > Please state name of Civil War widow in question.
          > Ann Chambless

          > removed]
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > mailto:jacksongenealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          Got a little couch potato?
        • altafae@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2007
            In a message dated 10/1/2007 3:22:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            rabc123@... writes:

            Ann

            What if you did not know if a wife had applied or not - I know one of my
            great grandfathers son's (well actually two of them, William and Ellis Brazier -
            Ellis was Camp Chase, and William at the prison camp outside of Chicago).
            Since the war occurred between the 1860 and 1870 census I do not know if
            William married during the early war years and had children in Jackson Co. Is
            there any why to find this out, or would I have get every Brazier application?

            Thank you Jimmie Ryan
            Elijah Brazer b 1776 NC