Re: [jacksongenealogy] Williams Family in Jackson County

  • Helen Bailey
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
      Martha, this is my Williams line. I read a lot but don't post here much but saw your posting. My line is Samuel Williams and Margaret Guinn's son William Guinn Williams. My email address is mousie35902@... contact me if you wish to exchange information. My line is throught William Guinn Williams and his second wife Elizabeth Jane (Naylor) Capshaw. I am interested in knowing more about the Guinn branch if you have any information.

      Helen (Williams) Bailey

      Marthawsv@... wrote:
      To Regina and Diann - and any other Williams researchers on the list:

      I see that there are at least 13 Williams families in the 1850 census for
      Jackson County. My group is the last one on page 142A. I don't see any connection
      with the other 12, but . . .

      Let me know if this rings a bell with anyone!!

      This is my line of Williams:
      - Samuel Williams (1788-1859) m. Margaret Guinn

      - son William Guinn Williams (1811-1863) m. Margaret Elizabeth Stevens (also
      from a Jackson County family)

      - their son William Washington Williams (1845-1917) m. Minerva Jane Thompson
      - my G Grandparents.

      Martha
      ************************

      In a message dated 8/7/07 9:33:28 AM, purplecraze38@... writes:

      > I am researching Williams too. Regina
      >
      > ---- Diann Thompson <diann12954@...> wrote:
      > > Clay,
      > > Where do you find the wills and information as to the slaves? I have
      > looked at the slave schedule but couldn't make much out of it. Researching
      > COLE(S), JORDAN, WILLIAMS, RUTLEDGE

    • Diann Thompson
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
        Hi Regina,
        All I know about mt Williams is his name, John (Jon) A. Williams. His wife was named Mollie. I think he died in the civil war. He is my slave owner relative. I was searching and found an Ephraim Willilams but I am not sure how to connect the dots.
        Diann

        Marthawsv@... wrote:
        To Regina and Diann - and any other Williams researchers on the list:

        I see that there are at least 13 Williams families in the 1850 census for
        Jackson County. My group is the last one on page 142A. I don't see any connection
        with the other 12, but . . .

        Let me know if this rings a bell with anyone!!

        This is my line of Williams:
        - Samuel Williams (1788-1859) m. Margaret Guinn

        - son William Guinn Williams (1811-1863) m. Margaret Elizabeth Stevens (also
        from a Jackson County family)

        - their son William Washington Williams (1845-1917) m. Minerva Jane Thompson
        - my G Grandparents.

        Martha
        ************************

        In a message dated 8/7/07 9:33:28 AM, purplecraze38@... writes:

        > I am researching Williams too. Regina
        >
        > ---- Diann Thompson <diann12954@...> wrote:
        > > Clay,
        > > Where do you find the wills and information as to the slaves? I have
        > looked at the slave schedule but couldn't make much out of it. Researching
        > COLE(S), JORDAN, WILLIAMS, RUTLEDGE

        Grace and Mercy to you,
        Diann

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
          Hello, Cuz Helen!

          You asked about the Guinn family. I have looked a lot, but haven't found
          anything about the Guinn family or Margaret Guinn.

          Here's what I know about Margaret Guinn, mostly from Jim Williams:
          b. May 1792, possibly Tennessee
          m. Samuel Williams, Jr. ca 1807, possibly Tennessee
          d. 3 Jul 1849, Limrock, Jackson County, Tennessee
          bur. Dodson/Williams Family Cemetery, Lim Rock, Jackson County, Alabama
          (picture of her tombstone at
          http://www.darkfiber.com/tomb/cemeteries/dodsonAL/index.html)
          6 children: George William/Washington, William Guinn, Jesse, Bower, Mary Ann,
          Minerva Jane.

          However, GGGGrandmother Margaret Guinn must have been a major influence on
          her family as descendants were being named after her for almost a century after
          her death:

          her son, William Guinn Williams,

          her great grandson, Guinn Terrell Williams, member of Congress from Texas -
          my mother's Uncle Guinn (now Terrell - that's another family I would like to
          know more about),

          her great great grandson, Guinn Terrell Williams, (my mother's 1st cousin)
          better known as "Big Boy" Williams, who was a movie star, especially in
          westerns,

          her great great grandson, Theodore Guinn Harris, and

          her GGGGrandaughter, Guinndolyn Harris.

          Are there any "Guinn" descendants in your branch of the family?

          Martha
          ******************

          In a message dated 8/7/07 2:37:47 PM, mousie35902@... writes:

          > Martha, this is my Williams line. I read a lot but don't post here much but
          > saw your posting. My line is Samuel Williams and Margaret Guinn's son
          > William Guinn Williams. My email address is mousie35902@mousie359 contact me if you
          > wish to exchange information. My line is throught William Guinn Williams and
          > his second wife Elizabeth Jane (Naylor) Capshaw. I am interested in knowing
          > more about the Guinn branch if you have any information.
          >
          > Helen (Williams) Bailey
          >
          > Marthawsv@... wrote:
          > To Regina and Diann - and any other Williams researchers on the list:
          >
          > I see that there are at least 13 Williams families in the 1850 census for
          > Jackson County. My group is the last one on page 142A. I don't see any
          > connection
          > with the other 12, but . . .
          >
          > Let me know if this rings a bell with anyone!!
          >
          > This is my line of Williams:
          > - Samuel Williams (1788-1859) m. Margaret Guinn
          >
          > - son William Guinn Williams (1811-1863) m. Margaret Elizabeth Stevens (also
          > from a Jackson County family)
          >
          > - their son William Washington Williams (1845-1917) m. Minerva Jane Thompson
          > - my G Grandparents.
          >
          > Martha
          > ************ ******** **
          >
          > In a message dated 8/7/07 9:33:28 AM, purplecraze38@purplecraze writes:
          >
          > > I am researching Williams too. Regina
          > >
          > > ---- Diann Thompson <diann12954@...> wrote:
          > > > Clay,
          > > > Where do you find the wills and information as to the slaves? I have
          > > looked at the slave schedule but couldn't make much out of it. Researching
          > > COLE(S), JORDAN, WILLIAMS, RUTLEDGE

        • paula stockebrand
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
            Hi Regina and Diann,
            Do you see a connection to Margaret A.Williams?
            My Jackson county ancestor bn 1813 Caleb AKA( William) M Wall left Alabama and married a Margaret A. Williams in Lonoke County Arkansas in 1860.
            thank you
            Paula

          • Diann Thompson
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
              Hi Paula,
              I have no information about the Williams families. I just have the 2 names. Sorry
              Diann

              paula stockebrand <pfabionar@...> wrote:
              Hi Regina and Diann,
              Do you see a connection to Margaret A.Williams?
              My Jackson county ancestor bn 1813 Caleb AKA( William) M Wall left Alabama and married a Margaret A. Williams in Lonoke County Arkansas in 1860.
              thank you
              Paula

              Grace and Mercy to you,
              Diann

            • CHARLES WILLIAMS
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
                Hello:
                I have the Ruel W. Williams family in Jackson Co., AL in 1840. They moved on to Wayne Co., MO by 1847. Ruel married Drucilla Daniel about 1834.

                I believe his brother was Ephramin Williams of Jackson Co., AL and later in Madison Co., AL.

                I completed the y-DNA with 67 markers. You can find the results at Williams.genealogy.fm in Group 60, Kit # 84000. So far only Sherre in KY and James in MT are close matches. Sherre is a 37/37 match and James is a 36/37 match.
                CHW

              • altafae@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
                  In a message dated 8/7/2007 6:31:08 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  Marthawsv@... writes:

                  Tennessee

                  This Limrock, Jackson, Alabama, right?

                • Earl T. Reed
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 8, 2007
                    Limrock is in southern Jackson County. I lived there until I married and
                    moved away. Some older records will list the area as Boyd's Switch. The
                    story goes that someone gave the Methodist Church a gift of $50 to get the
                    name changed to Limrock. Limrock was named because of the huge limestone
                    rocks there that were processed in a lime kiln. I remember the ruins of the
                    kiln. At one time the local industry included the lime, a tannery, a
                    blacksmith shop, and coal mining in addition to farming.

                    Earl Reed
                    Dayton, TN
                    Home of the Scopes Trial