Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson County History

  • jackie morgan
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 5 5:52 PM
      Clay,
      That early history of Jackson County, AL was interesting. I know very little about Alabama history.

      It was odd to have your e-mail because today I was wondering about the history in the late 1850s and 1860s.

      My James R. Bryan and his wife, Susan Denman Bryan had two children, born in the late 1850s, that listed their births in Alabama on census and on their delayed birthd certificates and death certificates. James was born in 1825

      But we've not been able to locate them ANYWHERE on the 1860 census. We've checked various spellings and been flexible on dates of birth.

      The man we think is his father, Joel Bryan, b. 1790s, was in DeKalb Count on the 1860 and 1870 census. Have not checked probate records yet. Have not found burial site.

      I am just wondering if there was some type of disease in 1860 about the time of the census that would have had the family split up. We've found a couple of the children that might be his children with other families. Not definite, but possible.

      Would you have any ideas on my dilemma? Just trying to figure out a new place to look.

      Thanks so much for any possible hints.

      Jackie Morgan

    • Helen Lopez
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 20, 2011
        Thank you very much Ms. Chambless for the info regarding Jackson County History by J. R. Kennamer.

        The store that has a copy deals in used books and they only have one used copy that is in excellent condition and have it priced at $50.00.  Glad I didn't go ahead and buy it.

        I have also received info that the Library in Scottsboro and the Heritage House have copies for sale.  Will be going to Scottsboro next week and will stop by and see if I can't purchase one at the Library.

        Again, thank you for your assistance.

        Helen