Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson County History

    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 5, 2007
      Part of this is from History of Jackson County by Robert Kennamer

      Jackson County was not part of Tennessee. The northeastern part of Alabama was part of the Cherokee and Creek Nations. It was claimed by the State of GA but GA ceded all claims to the US on 24 Apr 1802.

      In 1789 company called the Tennessee Land Co. bought 3,500,000 acres from GA. They attempted a settlement at Muscles Shoals against warnings from the United States and the Indians. They were chased out by the Indians and the settlement burned.

      Madison County to the west was at one time part of the Mississippi Territory.

      By 1809 settlers from Madison Co. had extended their settlements into the western coves of present day Jackson Co.

      On 27 Feb 1819 that part that was east of then Madison Co. and North of the TN River and south of the TN state line was ceded by the Cherokee Nation to the US. This did not included Sand Mountain which became part of Jackson Co. after the Treaty of New Echota.

      Jackson County was created 13 Dec 1819. Land in Jackson Co. was not offered for sale until 1831 the settlers were squatters until then unless they had bought part of the Cherokee Reservations..

      In 1835 the Treaty of New Echota signed by a fraction within the Cherokee Nation ceded all Cherokee lands east of the Mississippi to the US This Treaty lead to the forced Cherokee Removal and the Trail of Tears were one in seven of the Indians died before reaching the west.

      Notes from my family history:

      If the removal had been fully enforced it would have included many of our ancestors who had married Indian women such as Isaac and Jemima (Welch) Clark and their children, Jemima was a full blooded Cherokee. Their daughters Juliet and Martha Elizabeth married twins James Madison and Thomas Jefferson Gullatt in 1841/42. Juliet died ca 1842 probably in childbirth and James M. married my Ggrandmother Malissa Payne Harper in 1848, her parents and grandparents were in Madison Co. MS Territory. by 1809..

      A VA court document in a suit over the estate of Ann Nancy (Wigginton) Mitchell widow of John Mitchell says of one of her daughters, Catherine Mitchell married John Golat now living in Alabama 1817. John and Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt moved from Soap Creek, Lincoln Co. GA in 1816 settling near Bellefonte. They had moved from Fairfax Co. VA to GA in 1800. Ann Nancy Wigginton's grandmother was also Indian or half Indian Sabacah Birdwell of Stafford Co. VA.

    • Helen Lopez
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 20, 2011
        Thank you very much Ms. Chambless for the info regarding Jackson County History by J. R. Kennamer.

        The store that has a copy deals in used books and they only have one used copy that is in excellent condition and have it priced at $50.00.  Glad I didn't go ahead and buy it.

        I have also received info that the Library in Scottsboro and the Heritage House have copies for sale.  Will be going to Scottsboro next week and will stop by and see if I can't purchase one at the Library.

        Again, thank you for your assistance.

        Helen