TVA Project

  • bluebill68
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
      I was wondering what people knew of the TVA Project in the Jackson Co.,
      AL. I'm researching the Maynor and Waller lines, and they had members
      of their families that worked for the TVA. Ernest C. Waller fell off
      of a 40 foot scaffold in 1951 and died at the Widow Creek Dam in
      Stevenson. Rice Maynor, Henry Maynor, and Robert Arthur Waller all
      worked with the TVA. Does anyone remember or have clippings of the
      incident in the local paper? Also, what do you remember about the
      building of the project. In addition, we have a couple of pictures of
      them in a group photo, as well as one or two in uniform, but does
      anyone know where we could contact an historical place that kept
      records of the building of the project, as well as old photos, group
      photos, etc? Can anyone point us in the right direction? Any help or
      info would be appreciated. You can e-mail me at
      billywmaynor@.... Thanks!
    • Earl T. Reed
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
        Billy,

        TVA has a national office in the Washington D. C. area that is very happy to
        supply information to anyone doing research. I called them one time when I
        was there on a business trip, and they sent a large envelope of information.

        There are several books published on the early TVA projects.

        I vaguely remember the Widow's Creek going into operation in the early
        1950's, but not well enough to be aware of any incidents such as you
        mention.

        Earl Reed
        Formerly of Limrock in Jackson County.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • paula stockebrand
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
          Hi Earl,
          I was on the phone with Houston and asked how many people in Alabama had submitted DNA for genealogy research, and they looked up the number..
          3,000...kits...(two are my DNA kits) Have you done this on your line?
          I found out we are not Walls at all, but Pittman!!! Any Pittmans on this group?
          Anyway, thanks Earl for the help with Limerock and the median or meridian and baselines....
          Paula

        • cagle8185@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
            Billy

            My dad worked on the project but I was only 11 in 1951. My dad has passed
            away. I worked for a contractor on the second faze of the project but this
            was in 1958. One man fell from the top of the construction in 1958 and was
            killed but this was later than your incident.

            Are you kin to Willie and Ken Maynor?

            Bill Cagle