Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: George W. Keith Florida War service record

  • Malbuff
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2007
      >If you're tracing Keiths, I think you should
      >definitely check into the Keiths who were in Franklin
      >County, TN.

      There still are a lot of Keiths in Franklin county, Tenn.

      Robert, have you been able to trace the Franklin
      county Keiths back past James Keith (b. ca. 1814)?
      I would have to think there is a relation between him and
      your Jackson county Keith line, but I've not been able
      to find it.

      James Keith married Nancy Jane Larkin, daughter of "Old
      Uncle Bill" Larkin and niece of David Larkin of Larkinsville,
      probably about 1840. On my first trip to Larkinsville,
      someone-- perhaps Mrs Chambless-- pointed out
      "Mrs Keith's house" in town. I have not met Mrs Keith
      nor do I know her relation to the rest of our Keiths.

      The Franklin county Keiths intermarried with Larkins, Stovalls,
      Staples, and many other old families of the area. Sallie Keith,
      James Keith's daughter, married a Matthews. Jones Keith,
      James Keith's son, married Mollie Satterfield, daughter of
      Bill Satterfield of Huntland, who took as his second wife
      Ovica Ann Gentle, then in her nineties, who had been "Old
      Uncle Bill" Larkin's second wife. Family historian Addie Larkin
      noted as follows about this marriage:

      ""Aunt Ovie" Uncle Bill's last wife, years after he died,
      when she was 97, married a Mr. Satterfield, who was 65.
      Aunt Ovie was living with Uncle Bill and Aunt Julia Larkin and
      was bedfast. They got her up and dressed her in
      one of her old fashioned silk dresses for her wedding. She could not
      stand without support and had to be carried from the house to the gate.
      I witnessed the ceremony but can't recall who performed it.
      Mr Satterfield married her for her money."

      This marrage took place probably about 1900 or so.
      "Aunt Ovie" was kin to the Gentles who operated the store, now
      closed, that still stands just off highway 35 near Stephens' Gap
      in Jackson county.

      James Keith's grandson, William Buford Keith (b. ca. 1879)
      also married a Larkin, his second cousin once removed, Laura Juliet Larkin.
      Their youngest son, Buford Rutledge Keith, is still alive today
      at age 84 and living at Huntland.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      "

    • Robert Schneider
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 9, 2007
        Hi!

        Thanks for the info on the Keiths!

        I have done some work on the Keith family(ies) in
        Franklin County, TN. I haven't been through the wills
        and probate records. I have been through the land
        records, which go back to 1808. I found a huge number
        of Keith land transactions, most of which involved on
        Keith selling to another Keith. The surnames included
        Wien, Drake, Brazelton, Lewis, Mason, Donathan,
        Roberson, Harris, Shook, Caperton, Campbell, Gray. I
        did find one transaction involving a Larkin. This was
        John L. Keith selling to John Larkin Book Q
        (1836-1840) page 169 and page 267.

        The earliest transactions I found involved Daniel
        Keith, James Keith, and J.L. Keith. These were in
        Book A(1808-1826), pages 303,328, 253, 286; and Books
        F & K(1818-1828), pages 57, 111, 139, 266, 405.

        I hope someday that I can connect the George
        Keith/Martha Gamble family with the rest of the Keith
        lines in the general area. I can only suspect a blood
        relation, I can't prove it.

        Once I get to the wills, I'll let the list know
        whether I find anything.

        Robert Schneider