Re: George W. Keith Florida War service record

  • Robert Schneider
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2007
      Hi!

      I haven't traced the Keith family in Jackson County,
      AL beyond the early 1850s. It appears that Griffin,
      George W. and John C. all left the county.

      There were very many Keiths in Franklin County, TN,
      but fewer of them in Jackson County, AL. The ones I
      know in Jackson County were George Keith Sr. and wife
      martha Gambel, plus five children. The family had two
      daughters--names unknown. The sons were definitely
      George W. and Griffin. I believe that the third was
      John C. based on later census entries and his service
      with George W. in the Cherokee Removal. This
      particular Keith family I have traced back to Jackson
      County, GA.

      If you're tracing Keiths, I think you should
      definitely check into the Keiths who were in Franklin
      County, TN. There also were many Keiths in GA/SC
      going back into the 18th century. You can find them
      in Lincoln, Hall, Wilkes, Elbert area. Unfortunately,
      though I suspect that the George Keith family is
      related to these other Keith lines, I cannot prove it.
      All I know about the elder George Keith is he was
      born in VA about 1760. His wife Martha Gambel was
      born in SC between 1760-1770. The two daughters were
      born 1800-1810 and 1815-1820. The younger daughter
      might have been born in AL, the older one definitely
      in GA.

      Robert Schneider
    • Malbuff
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2007
        >If you're tracing Keiths, I think you should
        >definitely check into the Keiths who were in Franklin
        >County, TN.

        There still are a lot of Keiths in Franklin county, Tenn.

        Robert, have you been able to trace the Franklin
        county Keiths back past James Keith (b. ca. 1814)?
        I would have to think there is a relation between him and
        your Jackson county Keith line, but I've not been able
        to find it.

        James Keith married Nancy Jane Larkin, daughter of "Old
        Uncle Bill" Larkin and niece of David Larkin of Larkinsville,
        probably about 1840. On my first trip to Larkinsville,
        someone-- perhaps Mrs Chambless-- pointed out
        "Mrs Keith's house" in town. I have not met Mrs Keith
        nor do I know her relation to the rest of our Keiths.

        The Franklin county Keiths intermarried with Larkins, Stovalls,
        Staples, and many other old families of the area. Sallie Keith,
        James Keith's daughter, married a Matthews. Jones Keith,
        James Keith's son, married Mollie Satterfield, daughter of
        Bill Satterfield of Huntland, who took as his second wife
        Ovica Ann Gentle, then in her nineties, who had been "Old
        Uncle Bill" Larkin's second wife. Family historian Addie Larkin
        noted as follows about this marriage:

        ""Aunt Ovie" Uncle Bill's last wife, years after he died,
        when she was 97, married a Mr. Satterfield, who was 65.
        Aunt Ovie was living with Uncle Bill and Aunt Julia Larkin and
        was bedfast. They got her up and dressed her in
        one of her old fashioned silk dresses for her wedding. She could not
        stand without support and had to be carried from the house to the gate.
        I witnessed the ceremony but can't recall who performed it.
        Mr Satterfield married her for her money."

        This marrage took place probably about 1900 or so.
        "Aunt Ovie" was kin to the Gentles who operated the store, now
        closed, that still stands just off highway 35 near Stephens' Gap
        in Jackson county.

        James Keith's grandson, William Buford Keith (b. ca. 1879)
        also married a Larkin, his second cousin once removed, Laura Juliet Larkin.
        Their youngest son, Buford Rutledge Keith, is still alive today
        at age 84 and living at Huntland.

        Glory to God,

        David Malbuff
        Strasburg, Virginia

        "

      • Robert Schneider
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 9, 2007
          Hi!

          Thanks for the info on the Keiths!

          I have done some work on the Keith family(ies) in
          Franklin County, TN. I haven't been through the wills
          and probate records. I have been through the land
          records, which go back to 1808. I found a huge number
          of Keith land transactions, most of which involved on
          Keith selling to another Keith. The surnames included
          Wien, Drake, Brazelton, Lewis, Mason, Donathan,
          Roberson, Harris, Shook, Caperton, Campbell, Gray. I
          did find one transaction involving a Larkin. This was
          John L. Keith selling to John Larkin Book Q
          (1836-1840) page 169 and page 267.

          The earliest transactions I found involved Daniel
          Keith, James Keith, and J.L. Keith. These were in
          Book A(1808-1826), pages 303,328, 253, 286; and Books
          F & K(1818-1828), pages 57, 111, 139, 266, 405.

          I hope someday that I can connect the George
          Keith/Martha Gamble family with the rest of the Keith
          lines in the general area. I can only suspect a blood
          relation, I can't prove it.

          Once I get to the wills, I'll let the list know
          whether I find anything.

          Robert Schneider