Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Divorces in Jackson County - Circuit Court Records

    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 2 7:07 PM
      Divorce records are not in the Probate Judge's Court who has been so helpful to genealogists but are in the custody of the Clerk of Circuit Court.

      From Ann Chambless's post of 17 Mar 2007 on the Probate Office:

      " In addition to the Probate Court records, there are Circuit Court records in the
      custody of the Circuit Court Clerk. The oldest Circuit Court records are in the
      basement. The last time I attempted research in this area, it was not well lit and very dusty. To be truthful (but tactful), this area has never received a lot of housekeeping attention. There are a few Circuit Court records which go back to the 1840s. This is the section where you find court cases involving family matters which involved minors and divorces as well as arrests and trials handled by the Circuit Court. Most of these books are NOT indexed."

      From what someone else wrote me you are on your on as far as researching in the Circuit Courts records. While they will point you where to go digging through the records is up to you from what I have been told. I would not think it

      You can look up post number 8262 dated 17 Mar 2007 in the archived messages at the Group Home Website to see all that comes under the Probate Court.

    • Helen Lopez
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 20, 2011
        Thank you very much Ms. Chambless for the info regarding Jackson County History by J. R. Kennamer.

        The store that has a copy deals in used books and they only have one used copy that is in excellent condition and have it priced at $50.00.  Glad I didn't go ahead and buy it.

        I have also received info that the Library in Scottsboro and the Heritage House have copies for sale.  Will be going to Scottsboro next week and will stop by and see if I can't purchase one at the Library.

        Again, thank you for your assistance.

        Helen