Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Early Divorces in Jackson County - Ledbetter

  • kathy edwards
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 2, 2007
      Clay,
      Are the Probate Office supposed to make these records public? Are they not
      required to let
      you go to the basement and search for themselves. Even if that means the
      clerk has to go
      down there and show you what is there?

      >From: <purplecraze38@...>
      >To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      >CC: clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...>
      >Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Early Divorces in Jackson County -
      >Ledbetter
      >Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 4:27:48 -0400
      >
      >Thanks, Regina
      >

      >---- clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
      > > Divorces are not in the Jackson County Probate Court which we are all
      >familiar with but in another Court's records and from what our expert Ann
      >Chambless has said the Judge of that Court is not inclined to have his
      >clerks search through the records.
      > >
      > > The only way you can find out is if you hire a local genealogist or if
      >someone volunteers to search through the records.
      > >
      > > I would point out that divorces were rather rare back then and it is
      >more likely that their spouses died.
      > >
      > > Clay

      Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
      win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink
    • Helen Lopez
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 20, 2011
        Thank you very much Ms. Chambless for the info regarding Jackson County History by J. R. Kennamer.

        The store that has a copy deals in used books and they only have one used copy that is in excellent condition and have it priced at $50.00.  Glad I didn't go ahead and buy it.

        I have also received info that the Library in Scottsboro and the Heritage House have copies for sale.  Will be going to Scottsboro next week and will stop by and see if I can't purchase one at the Library.

        Again, thank you for your assistance.

        Helen