EARLY LAND PATENTS IN JACKSON COUNTY, AL

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2007
      Public Land Sales were determined by the Federal Government after the Revolutionary War. Jackson County was surveyed by December 17, 1827. HOWEVER, the only people who owned land in Jackson County, Alabama, prior to July 1, 1830, were the (very) few men who purchased (the very few) Cherokee reservations granted to heads of households of Cherokee families IN FEE SIMPLE.
      NOTE: In all of Georgia, Tennessee, and North Alabama, there were only 39 persons with reservations in FEE SIMPLE (which meant they could sell their 640- acre reserve) All the other heads of Cherokee families received 640-acre reservations as life estates. The law provided that if the life estate reservees moved from their land, it reverted to the U.S. Government.

      Public land in Jackson County, Alabama, was NOT offered for sale until July 1, 1830 (probably at the Bellefonte or Huntsville office.) The second offering was on October 1, 1830.

      There were no land grants given for military service in Jackson County until after the Mexican War. American veterans in that time period had Representative W. R. W. Cobb to thank for the bounty land acts he introduced shortly after he took his seat in the U. S. House of Representatives in 1846. Cobb represented Jackson, Madison, Marshall, and DeKalb Counties in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1846- January 1861.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Roy Chadwick
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29, 2007
        Hi Ann,
        Would it be possible to get the name of the people who recieved those Rez?.
        Researching, Bond,Bost,Chadwick,Choate,Coffelt,Goodhart,Hodgins,
        Keele,Moreland,Langford,Lankford,Richmond,Seitz,Sitz,Sides,Vaughan,Vaughn,
        Wilson.
        Thanks,
        Roy.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 30, 2007
          Are you kin to a Lafayette Chadwick married to Dicie and a daughter names Charity ?
          Charity married John Thomas Cameron. Fate was my GGrandfather on my Dads side.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007
            My GGparents were John Chadwick brn abt 1820/30 NC,died unk possible AL,and Mary Hodgin/Hodgins brn abt 1830 NC/SC?,died after 1900,place unk.
            I do believe they lived in northern GA abt 1850's,and later around the Bradley Co TN area. My Gfather was also named John brn abt 1852/60 GA,died 1917 Bell Co KY. I have heard that we did have relatives in Jackson Co in the Stevenson area,but don't know who they were. I do believe that my Gfather John had brothers Abraham,and James Chadwick both brn GA. My GGmother Mary Chadwick I believe had at least 7 children with 3 still living in 1900.
            Thanks for the reply, Roy Chadwick.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007
              thanks I'll check into this.
              From: Roy Chadwick <chadwick011554@...>

            • kcnorrell@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
                I believe this is my family, I've been looking for. Is there a set of twins in the Moreland Family with the name of Donald - he is a Preacher.

                From: kcnorrell@...
                thanks I'll check into this.
                From: Roy Chadwick <chadwick011554@...>
                > My GGparents were John Chadwick brn abt 1820/30 NC,died unk possible AL,and Mary
                > Hodgin/Hodgins brn abt 1830 NC/SC?,died after 1900,place unk.
                > I do believe they lived in northern GA abt 1850's,and later around the Bradley
                > Co TN area. My Gfather was also named John brn abt 1852/60 GA,died 1917 Bell Co
                > KY. I have heard that we did have relatives in Jackson Co in the Stevenson
                > area,but don't know who they were. I do believe that my Gfather John had
                > brothers Abraham,and James Chadwick both brn GA. My GGmother Mary Chadwick I
                > believe had at least 7 children with 3 still living in 1900.
                > Thanks for the reply, Roy Chadwick.
                >
                > kcnorrell@... wrote:
                > Are you kin to a Lafayette Chadwick married to Dicie and a daughter
                > names Charity ?
                > Charity married John Thomas Cameron. Fate was my GGrandfather on my Dads side.

                > From: Roy Chadwick <chadwick011554@...>
                > Hi Ann,
                > Would it be possible to get the name of the people who recieved those Rez?.
                > Researching, Bond,Bost,Chadwick,Choate,Coffelt,Goodhart,Hodgins,
                > Keele,Moreland,Langford,Lankford,Richmond,Seitz,Sitz,Sides,Vaughan,Vaughn,
                > Wilson.
                > Thanks,
                > Roy.
                >
                > "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:
                > Public Land Sales were determined by the Federal Government after the
                > Revolutionary War. Jackson County was surveyed by December 17, 1827. HOWEVER,
                > the only people who owned land in Jackson County, Alabama, prior to July 1,
                > 1830, were the (very) few men who purchased (the very few) Cherokee reservations
                > granted to heads of households of Cherokee families IN FEE SIMPLE.
                > NOTE: In all of Georgia, Tennessee, and North Alabama, there were only 39
                > persons with reservations in FEE SIMPLE (which meant they could sell their 640-
                > acre reserve) All the other heads of Cherokee families received 640-acre
                > reservations as life estates. The law provided that if the life estate reservees
                > moved from their land, it reverted to the U.S. Government.
                >
                > Public land in Jackson County, Alabama, was NOT offered for sale until July 1,
                > 1830 (probably at the Bellefonte or Huntsville office.) The second offering was
                > on October 1, 1830.
                >
                > There were no land grants given for military service in Jackson County until
                > after the Mexican War. American veterans in that time period had Representative
                > W. R. W. Cobb to thank for the bounty land acts he introduced shortly after he
                > took his seat in the U. S. House of Representatives in 1846. Cobb represented
                > Jackson, Madison, Marshall, and DeKalb Counties in the U. S. House of
                > Representatives from 1846- January 1861.
                > Ann B. Chambless

              • waynette_davis
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
                  I have spent a few hours looking for Land Patent Section 12, Twp 3 Range 5 of Jackson County Alabama. I thought it belonged to William or Meredith KING. Now I read that only 39 individuals would have owned these plats before 1830. I dont know how to look up these plats. The new BLM page on the new web site page for Jackson County Genealogy Group gets me no results. I do have an old small copy Clay or someone sent of the patents once. but I it is too fuzzy and small to read. Can anyone help me get a map. Don't mind paying for it IF I know it is the right one for William KING who married Sarah and whose son was Meredith King. I appreciate any help I can get.

                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

                  > Public Land Sales were determined by the Federal Government after the Revolutionary War. Jackson County was surveyed by December 17, 1827. HOWEVER, the only people who owned land in Jackson County, Alabama, prior to July 1, 1830, were the (very) few men who purchased (the very few) Cherokee reservations granted to heads of households of Cherokee families IN FEE SIMPLE.
                  > NOTE: In all of Georgia, Tennessee, and North Alabama, there were only 39 persons with reservations in FEE SIMPLE (which meant they could sell their 640- acre reserve) All the other heads of Cherokee families received 640-acre reservations as life estates. The law provided that if the life estate reservees moved from their land, it reverted to the U.S. Government.
                  >
                  > Public land in Jackson County, Alabama, was NOT offered for sale until July 1, 1830 (probably at the Bellefonte or Huntsville office.) The second offering was on October 1, 1830.
                  >
                  > There were no land grants given for military service in Jackson County until after the Mexican War. American veterans in that time period had Representative W. R. W. Cobb to thank for the bounty land acts he introduced shortly after he took his seat in the U. S. House of Representatives in 1846. Cobb represented Jackson, Madison, Marshall, and DeKalb Counties in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1846- January 1861.
                  > Ann B. Chambless

                • deb allen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 23, 2012
                    hey ann,
                    i recently found a listing for a nicholas hicks, in early land ownership plats of jackson, al dated 1823, and another listing for a frances hicks a few years later.  these records pre-date the ones i've previously known existed for the hicks family by several decades.  i'm curious why some land was fee simple while most was not.  something else i'm wondering about -- a long time ago i thought i heard that some of these very early settlers married native american women in order to secure land -- though i am not well read enough to verify that.  would such an early dated plat be indicative of that?  anything you can offer me on this would be greatly appreciated.
                    deb

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 19, 2012
                      I have a book called the Alabama military land grants. Do you have this book?

                      I have spent a few hours looking for Land Patent Section 12, Twp 3 Range 5 of Jackson County Alabama. I thought it belonged to William or Meredith KING. Now I read that only 39 individuals would have owned these plats before 1830. I dont know how to look up these plats. The new BLM page on the new web site page for Jackson County Genealogy Group gets me no results. I do have an old small copy Clay or someone sent of the patents once. but I it is too fuzzy and small to read. Can anyone help me get a map. Don't mind paying for it IF I know it is the right one for William KING who married Sarah and whose son was Meredith King. I appreciate any help I can get.

                      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

                      > Public Land Sales were determined by the Federal Government after the Revolutionary War. Jackson County was surveyed by December 17, 1827. HOWEVER, the only people who owned land in Jackson County, Alabama, prior to July 1, 1830, were the (very) few men who purchased (the very few) Cherokee reservations granted to heads of households of Cherokee families IN FEE SIMPLE.
                      > NOTE: In all of Georgia, Tennessee, and North Alabama, there were only 39 persons with reservations in FEE SIMPLE (which meant they could sell their 640- acre reserve) All the other heads of Cherokee families received 640-acre reservations as life estates. The law provided that if the life estate reservees moved from their land, it reverted to the U.S. Government.
                      >
                      > Public land in Jackson County, Alabama, was NOT offered for sale until July 1, 1830 (probably at the Bellefonte or Huntsville office.) The second offering was on October 1, 1830.
                      >
                      > There were no land grants given for military service in Jackson County until after the Mexican War. American veterans in that time period had Representative W. R. W. Cobb to thank for the bounty land acts he introduced shortly after he took his seat in the U. S. House of Representatives in 1846. Cobb represented Jackson, Madison, Marshall, and DeKalb Counties in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1846- January 1861.
                      > Ann B. Chambless

                    • Waynette Davis
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 19, 2012
                        No I don't have that book. Wonder if it is the one from which Ann Chambless
                        sent me a "pencil marked location of where Meredith and Wm owned land?

                        How detailed it it? How do you get it? And the old standby question, how
                        expensive is it?

                        Waynette KING Davis

                      • Ann B. Chambless
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 19, 2012
                          The William and Meredith King land tract information I sent Waynette
                          came from Margaret Cowart's OLD LAND RECORDS OF JACKSON COUNTY. Mrs.
                          Cowart's work is based on the original land patent book located in the
                          Alabama Department of Archives and History. You can not obtain more
                          accurate information than these two sources.
                          Ann B. Chambless
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJjcWludjIwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MjQyNwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzEzMzQ4ODI2NTM->
                          >
                          > Sw
                          >
                          > .

                        • Waynette Davis
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 19, 2012
                            Thank you for that clarification about the maps, Ann

                            Waynette Davis

                          • Waynette Davis
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 13 4:31 PM

                              A few years ago had word from Ann Chambless who kindly took the time to help me separate out two different William Kings who were in Jackson Co., AL in 1820's and - 1850's.

                               Wm King di ed in 1852 but his wife Sarah who was born in KY in 1798 could not be verifi ed as to her death.  Ann gave me the "thoughts from relatives" there in the area  that Sarah (maiden name unknown)who marri ed Wm King) and had 5 children: PROBABLY DIED IN ABT. 1854.

                              Her children were:

                              Mer ed ith,

                              Wiley,

                              Elizabeth,  single

                              Malinda ( marri ed John Hutton) and

                              Catharine (whom I cant find yet)

                              I have since locat ed a copy of a letter that Sarah King sent to her grandson, Wiley Columbus King in Arkansas

                              (son of her son, Wiley King) that was written in her hand in 1877 from the Princeton post ofc. in Jackson Co. AL .  In the letter she gave her correct age in 1877 of 80 years.   She mention ed a Mr. Beeson also writing and she decid ed to write to her grandson as well since Mr. Beeson was writing.

                              Just thought I would pass on this happy news of Sarah's much longer life than 56 years to 80 plus years.

                              Dont know where she is buri ed yet or when she di ed .

                              Any information from any of you Jackson Co. folks is welcome.

                              Waynette Marie King Davis

                              DAVIS KING TUCKER HUNT tree on Ancestry