Moses Swaim

  • marywinn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2001
      Cuz Jewel Casey suggested I send this excerpt from Paint Rock Valley Pioneers
      to the list in case there are any other Swaim descendants out there. (My
      husband descends from Moses Swaim through His and Alcey's son William J.
      (Pete Swaim)

      Excerpt from Paint Rock Valley Pioneers, P. 215

      SWAIM CEMETERY

      This cemetery is located in Township1 South, Range 4 East, Section 35 on
      County Road #9. It is just a few yards from the Estill Fork post office. It
      only a few feet off the road and there is an iron fence around five of the
      graves and two graves are just outside the fence. It is said that there were
      many more graves here that have been plowed over.

      Buried here are members of the Moses Swaim family. Moses Swaim was one of
      the earliest settlers in the valley and owned land in the Estill Fork
      community, including land where the Freedom Church now stands and probably
      where the Estill Fork post office now stands.

      Moses Swaim was married three times and was the father of 25 children. Many
      descendants are still in this area and others are all over north Alabama,
      Tennessee and Texas. His first wife was Elizabeth "Betty" Frazier; his
      second wife was Alcey Houston, and his third wife was Elizabeth Adeline
      Vandiver. It is believed that Moses Swaim and his second wife, Alcey Houston
      are buried in the Collins Cemetery with no markers...

      Moses Swaim obit (Scottsboro, Alabama Citizen, Friday, Oct. 15, 1880.

      "Died in Paint Rock Valley Oct 7, 1880, Mr. Moses Swaim. He was an old and
      respected citizen, having moved to the Valley in 1823, consequently he was
      one of Jackson's pioneers. Mr. Swaim was the father of twenty-five children,
      thirteen of who are still living. He has sixty-five great grandchildren. He
      had been married three times, his last wife surviving him. He was
      universally esteemed by his neighbors and his death is genuinely regretted."