Re: [jacksongenealogy}Sections, baselines meridians

  • paula stockebrand
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 27, 2007
      Dear native Alabamans,
      I need some help understanding where the north to south meridian is, and where the east to west baseline is..I realize how to count tiers up and down, and ranges east and west from these.
      Now if I have the same 12S 7E,,, and then I compare section numbers 22 and section number 26, I see that they are kitty-corner, right?and......
      12S 7E 31 is about three miles WSW from 12S 7E 26 ...
      Do I understand this correctly?
      Thank you so much..
      Paula
      CA.

    • robert_s_63134
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 27, 2007
        Hi!

        Yes, I do have descendants for George W. Keith. I also have a few
        descendants for his brother Griffin Keith. There was one other
        brother. I suspect his name was John C. Keith, but can't prove it. He
        also had two sisters, but I don't know their names. I can't even
        speculate. Here is my family page url:
        http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/c/h/Robert-L-
        Schneider/index.html

        Robert Schneider

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, KLinge6131@... wrote:

        > Robert have you found any descenants for George W. Keith? K. M.
        Lingenfelter

      • cagle8185@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 29, 2007
          Surveying and Federal Land Sales
          Robert Cottrell
          General Overview of the Rectangular Survey
          In 1785, the Federal Government began using the rectangular survey system
          for the organization, division and sale of government-owned frontier lands.
          With little regard for the natural topography, land was rigidly divided into a
          graph paper-like grid.

          "The public lands of the United States are surveyed in a uniform mode, ...
          by lines run by the cardinal points of the compass; the north and south lines
          coinciding with the true meridian, and the east and west lines intersecting
          them at right angles, giving to the tracts thus surveyed, the rectangular
          form."<1>

          In the rectangular survey system, the basic unit of land was called a
          "township." Each township was a square, six miles on each side. This was further
          subdivided into thirty-six sections each one mile square containing 640 acres.
          After 1796, each township was numbered with reference to a baseline and a
          principal meridian. Each township was numbered in a specific sequence.

          Federal Land Sales
          To facilitate land sales, these sections could be broken down into half
          sections (320 acres), quarter sections (160 acres), half-quarter sections (80
          acres), and quarter-quarter section (40 acres) (fig. ). Legal descriptions of
          this land would read SW 1/4 and would be a southwest quarter section or 160
          acres. NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4, quarter-quarter section or 40 acres.
          In most cases, land was sold in these regular units. The minimum size of
          these units changed over time according to law. These changes were made to boost
          land sales by making it easier for more people to purchase land, as many
          potential settlers complained they could not afford to by large tracts. For
          example, in 1800, the minimum amount which could be purchased was a half section
          (320 acres), later it was changed to 160 acres, then 80 acres. Due to rivers,
          lakes, and other natural features, land was also available in irregular
          parcels.
          In 1800, the minimum amount which could be purchased was a half section (320
          acres) at a minimum cost of $2.00 an acre. The purchaser was also required to
          pay the survey fee of $6.00 per section and 10 cents per acre when filing.
          The remainder of the amount due was payable in 4 equal annual installments.
          The first was within forty days.
          In 1804, the law was amended to allow for the sale of quarter sections (160
          acres) as the minimum. In 1816 payments changed to one fourth within two years
          and the remainder in 2 equal annual payments. An eight percent charge was
          levied on all payments made after due date. An eight percent discount was given
          for payment on or before due date.
          By 1820, the minimum requirement for a land purchase was half quarter
          sections (80 acres) at a minimum cost of $1.25 per acre, though use of credit was
          abolished. Land purchased from the government was exempt from taxes for five
          years. These reductions opened up the land to individual farmers and business
          men of a lower income instead of the previously wealthy speculators and
          monopolizing conglomerates of the past.<2>
          Land Sales and Surveying Techniques
          Great pains were taken in surveying the land for sale. Chains, compasses,
          and markers were used to measure distance. Trees of each quarter were
          identified in the survey notes in order to confirm border lines. Evaluations of the
          quality of the land were also indicated. Each plat was given a number and
          recorded on the township map in the plat book. If those who had previously
          squatted on land could not afford to purchase the land, they were either driven off
          or had to make financial arrangements with the new owner. Land offices were
          set up to handle the sale of these lands and to handle the appropriate legal
          documents.
          Once land was "improved," the selling price went up substantially. Improved
          land, in general, was considered to be that on which 15 to 20 acres had been
          cleared and a log house constructed.<3> As early as December, 1817, improved
          land in Brookville (Indiana) was fetching $8.00-$10.00 an acre. <4>
          Although smaller and more affordable than the earlier requirements, selling
          lots at a minimum of eighty acres apiece, still created a landscape of
          relative isolation by separating people from one another by fairly large pieces of
          land.
          After the initial land purchase from the government, owners could divide up
          their property into any size lots they wanted and sell them for whatever they
          could. However, the shape of these lots still seem to have retained the
          rectangular shape of the survey system. This tendency to extend the grid system
          can be seen both in farm layout in the country and lot layout in the towns.
          Surveying in Indiana
          Except for a relatively small sliver of land in southeast Indiana, known as
          "the gore", the land in Indiana was all layed out according to the
          rectangular survey. <5> All of the township lines are numbered from the base line and
          the range lines are numbered from the second principal meridian.
          Notes
          1. "General Instructions T_o His Deputies; By The Surveyor General of the
          United States, for the States of Ohio and Indiana, and the Territory of
          Michigan." Cincinnati: John H. Wood, 1833. as cited in Albert White, A History of
          the Rectangular Survey.
          2. Barnhart, John D., Ph.D., Indiana From Frontier to Industrial
          Commonwealth, New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1954, pp. 223-226.
          3. Lindley, Harlow, Indiana As Seen By Early Travelers. Indianapolis:
          Indiana Historical Bureau, 1916, p. 168.
          4. Lindley, 231.
          5. "Surveying in Indiana" Office of the Marion County Surveyor, Conner
          PrairieArchive, vertical file 8.87

          ____________________________________
          History Online Index_
          (http://www.connerprairie.org/historyonline/index.html) | _Educational Resources_ (http://www.connerprairie.org/edu/index.html) |
          _Conner Prairie Home_ (http://www.connerprairie.org/index.html)

        • John Green
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 29, 2007
            I'm not certain exactly what your asking, but it seems to be the
            Township/Range/Section method of describing property locations. I
            don't know the larger division that establishes the east/west dividing
            lines for Ranges and the north/south lines for Township numbers. By
            12S7E I think you mean Township 12 South, Range 7 East. The
            north/south division for the north Alabama area is the Tennessee state
            line (latitude 35 north). The east/west division is about where US
            highway 431/231 crosses the AL/TN line.

            Yes, section number 22 is kitty-cornered to section number 26. Section
            numbers are assigned within a Township and Range by a very strange
            method. Section 1 is in the north east corner of the particular Range
            and township and sections are numbered east to west for Sections 1
            through 6. Section 7 is just south of Section six and Sections 7
            through 12 are numbered west to east. Section 13 is just south of
            Section 12 and then the sections are numbered east to west. This
            process continues until a 36 section area has been defined by a six by
            six grouping. I have no idea how this silly system was developed, but
            it must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

            John McCollum Green
            On Jul 27, 2007, at 10:05 AM, paula stockebrand wrote:

            > Dear native Alabamans,
            > I need some help understanding where the north to south meridian is,
            > and where the east to west baseline is..I realize how to count tiers
            > up and down, and ranges east and west from these.
            > Now if I have the same 12S 7E,,, and then I compare section numbers
            > 22 and section number 26, I see that they are kitty-corner,
            > right?and......
            > 12S 7E 31 is about three miles WSW from 12S 7E 26 ...
            > Do I understand this correctly?
            > Thank you so much..
            > Paula
            > CA.

          • Janet Wright
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 29, 2007
              Paula, I think the answer to your question(the location of the
              meridians for township & range in AL) is at
              http://www.georgespear.com/alatownshp.jpg

              Janet
            • paula stockebrand

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 29, 2007
                  Hi List,
                  I don't have a connection or profit from this site but, I do order books
                  for our library and did order the Jackson Co. book that this company has
                  published. It is amazing and I found exactly where my family was in
                  Jackson Co. in relation to all the other connected families. You might
                  want to browse this site. They only do the states that are federal land
                  states, like AL. And, they have not done Madison Co. yet... (I'm in line
                  for the first book <g> ) And of course they don't have TN, since it is
                  metes and bounds state.
                  http://www.arphax.com/

                  Sue

                  paula stockebrand wrote:

                  > That's it!!! Thanks to Bill, John and Janet.....I understand it
                  > now...I can see where twelve south and seven east is now!!! Right near
                  > Gadsden, close to Calhoun County's border with Etowah. That is a
                  > terrific link Janet...
                  > With gratitude,
                  > Paula
                  >
                  > Janet Wright <j.wright@... <mailto:j.wright%40comcast.net>> wrote:
                  > Paula, I think the answer to your question(the location of the
                  > meridians for township & range in AL) is at
                  > http://www.georgespear.com/alatownshp.jpg
                  > <http://www.georgespear.com/alatownshp.jpg>
                  >
                  > Janet

                • Earl T. Reed
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 29, 2007
                    Hey, Paula,

                    For this meridian, find a map of Huntsville, AL and look for Meridian
                    Street; that is it. Meridian Street intersects with US 431 North just north
                    of Huntsville.

                    Earl Reed

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 30, 2007
                      I have ordered the Anthrax book and found it very difficult to use.
                      The information is good but badly presented. I am glad to hear that
                      new edition is in the works. I wish I had waited to order it.

                      I am a computer person and I thought this information just screamed
                      to be a clickable computer application, so I set out create a proof
                      of concept to send Anthrax, but got interupted and never finished.

                      But I did create the background graphics for it. The background I
                      would have put as the base page for a clickable computer application
                      came from the wonderful book that the folks at the Geography
                      department at the University of AL sent me. I saw a post about this
                      service on this forum a while back and ordered Jackson County for
                      $5.00 and got a lovely bound booklet from these guys. The
                      URL for the order form is:

                      http://www.as.ua.edu/geography/cartlab/publications/order.html

                      Their map is overlaid with the sections and grids that would make the
                      Anthrax book so much more useable. I have put a small version of this
                      map on my Web site:

                      http://annette.bradford.net/tornado/base.jpg

                      Annette
                    • KLinge6131@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                        Robert is there an A B Keith, Married Nancy Ann Bullard. Married 1869 ,
                        Daughter of John Bullard,who issued eighteen children. I beleive the Keith's are
                        of Scottish decent. John Bullard is my GGgrand.
                        K. M. Lingenfelter

                      • Robert Schneider
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 3, 2007
                          Hi!

                          I haven't traced the Keith family in Jackson County,
                          AL beyond the early 1850s. It appears that Griffin,
                          George W. and John C. all left the county.

                          There were very many Keiths in Franklin County, TN,
                          but fewer of them in Jackson County, AL. The ones I
                          know in Jackson County were George Keith Sr. and wife
                          martha Gambel, plus five children. The family had two
                          daughters--names unknown. The sons were definitely
                          George W. and Griffin. I believe that the third was
                          John C. based on later census entries and his service
                          with George W. in the Cherokee Removal. This
                          particular Keith family I have traced back to Jackson
                          County, GA.

                          If you're tracing Keiths, I think you should
                          definitely check into the Keiths who were in Franklin
                          County, TN. There also were many Keiths in GA/SC
                          going back into the 18th century. You can find them
                          in Lincoln, Hall, Wilkes, Elbert area. Unfortunately,
                          though I suspect that the George Keith family is
                          related to these other Keith lines, I cannot prove it.
                          All I know about the elder George Keith is he was
                          born in VA about 1760. His wife Martha Gambel was
                          born in SC between 1760-1770. The two daughters were
                          born 1800-1810 and 1815-1820. The younger daughter
                          might have been born in AL, the older one definitely
                          in GA.

                          Robert Schneider
                        • Malbuff
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 3, 2007
                            >If you're tracing Keiths, I think you should
                            >definitely check into the Keiths who were in Franklin
                            >County, TN.

                            There still are a lot of Keiths in Franklin county, Tenn.

                            Robert, have you been able to trace the Franklin
                            county Keiths back past James Keith (b. ca. 1814)?
                            I would have to think there is a relation between him and
                            your Jackson county Keith line, but I've not been able
                            to find it.

                            James Keith married Nancy Jane Larkin, daughter of "Old
                            Uncle Bill" Larkin and niece of David Larkin of Larkinsville,
                            probably about 1840. On my first trip to Larkinsville,
                            someone-- perhaps Mrs Chambless-- pointed out
                            "Mrs Keith's house" in town. I have not met Mrs Keith
                            nor do I know her relation to the rest of our Keiths.

                            The Franklin county Keiths intermarried with Larkins, Stovalls,
                            Staples, and many other old families of the area. Sallie Keith,
                            James Keith's daughter, married a Matthews. Jones Keith,
                            James Keith's son, married Mollie Satterfield, daughter of
                            Bill Satterfield of Huntland, who took as his second wife
                            Ovica Ann Gentle, then in her nineties, who had been "Old
                            Uncle Bill" Larkin's second wife. Family historian Addie Larkin
                            noted as follows about this marriage:

                            ""Aunt Ovie" Uncle Bill's last wife, years after he died,
                            when she was 97, married a Mr. Satterfield, who was 65.
                            Aunt Ovie was living with Uncle Bill and Aunt Julia Larkin and
                            was bedfast. They got her up and dressed her in
                            one of her old fashioned silk dresses for her wedding. She could not
                            stand without support and had to be carried from the house to the gate.
                            I witnessed the ceremony but can't recall who performed it.
                            Mr Satterfield married her for her money."

                            This marrage took place probably about 1900 or so.
                            "Aunt Ovie" was kin to the Gentles who operated the store, now
                            closed, that still stands just off highway 35 near Stephens' Gap
                            in Jackson county.

                            James Keith's grandson, William Buford Keith (b. ca. 1879)
                            also married a Larkin, his second cousin once removed, Laura Juliet Larkin.
                            Their youngest son, Buford Rutledge Keith, is still alive today
                            at age 84 and living at Huntland.

                            Glory to God,

                            David Malbuff
                            Strasburg, Virginia

                            "

                          • Robert Schneider
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 9, 2007
                              Hi!

                              Thanks for the info on the Keiths!

                              I have done some work on the Keith family(ies) in
                              Franklin County, TN. I haven't been through the wills
                              and probate records. I have been through the land
                              records, which go back to 1808. I found a huge number
                              of Keith land transactions, most of which involved on
                              Keith selling to another Keith. The surnames included
                              Wien, Drake, Brazelton, Lewis, Mason, Donathan,
                              Roberson, Harris, Shook, Caperton, Campbell, Gray. I
                              did find one transaction involving a Larkin. This was
                              John L. Keith selling to John Larkin Book Q
                              (1836-1840) page 169 and page 267.

                              The earliest transactions I found involved Daniel
                              Keith, James Keith, and J.L. Keith. These were in
                              Book A(1808-1826), pages 303,328, 253, 286; and Books
                              F & K(1818-1828), pages 57, 111, 139, 266, 405.

                              I hope someday that I can connect the George
                              Keith/Martha Gamble family with the rest of the Keith
                              lines in the general area. I can only suspect a blood
                              relation, I can't prove it.

                              Once I get to the wills, I'll let the list know
                              whether I find anything.

                              Robert Schneider