George W. Keith Florida War service record

  • robert_s_63134
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26 12:55 PM
      Hi!

      I have received the service record for George W. Keith, Florida War,
      1836-37. George W. Keith served in Co. K, Cawlfield's Battn. Mounted
      Volunteers. He was a private. No age was listed on the muster
      roll. Muster in was at Claysville, AL on Sept. 8, 1836. Period was
      for 12 months, until April 30, 1837. Remarks indicate that he was
      sick. Further remarks indicate that he was "Not mounted from May 1
      to May 28--inclusive. No age on muster----shown on Rolls." Muster
      out was at Bellefonte, AL Sept. 12, 1837. Last paid to April 30,
      1837.

      Can anyone locate Claysville, AL? That's a new one on me. Also,
      were there pension programs for veterans of the Florida War and the
      Cherokee Removal?

      Just for context, I obtained this record because the George Keith
      family was close to my Carr family. The George Keith family lived in
      Jackson County, GA until sometime after 1812. After leaving GA, they
      moved into Jackson County, AL. The George W. Keith in this service
      record ultimately took over guardianship of William Merida Carr, his
      brother James Hugh, and sister Doranna Celinda. They were the
      children of George W. Carr, the son of John Carr. John Carr, my 4th
      gr grandfather, also served with George W. Keith in the Cherokee
      Removal.

      Robert Schneider
    • Joe Burt
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26 8:26 PM
        Claysville is in Marshall Co. between Guntersville & Scottsboro but
        closer to Guntersville.
        JaNelle

        robert_s_63134 wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I have received the service record for George W. Keith, Florida War,
        > 1836-37. George W. Keith served in Co. K, Cawlfield's Battn. Mounted
        > Volunteers. He was a private. No age was listed on the muster
        > roll. Muster in was at Claysville, AL on Sept. 8, 1836. Period was
        > for 12 months, until April 30, 1837. Remarks indicate that he was
        > sick. Further remarks indicate that he was "Not mounted from May 1
        > to May 28--inclusive. No age on muster----shown on Rolls." Muster
        > out was at Bellefonte, AL Sept. 12, 1837. Last paid to April 30,
        > 1837.
        >
        > Can anyone locate Claysville, AL? That's a new one on me. Also,
        > were there pension programs for veterans of the Florida War and the
        > Cherokee Removal?
        >
        > Just for context, I obtained this record because the George Keith
        > family was close to my Carr family. The George Keith family lived in
        > Jackson County, GA until sometime after 1812. After leaving GA, they
        > moved into Jackson County, AL. The George W. Keith in this service
        > record ultimately took over guardianship of William Merida Carr, his
        > brother James Hugh, and sister Doranna Celinda. They were the
        > children of George W. Carr, the son of John Carr. John Carr, my 4th
        > gr grandfather, also served with George W. Keith in the Cherokee
        > Removal.
        >
        > Robert Schneider

      • John Green
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 27 6:35 AM
          Claysville, AL is between the "Y" where US 431 and AL 79 split north of
          Guntersville and the Guntersville Airport.

          John M. Green

        • KLinge6131@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 27 7:02 AM
            Robert have you found any descenants for George W. Keith? K. M. Lingenfelter

          • paula stockebrand
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 27 8:05 AM
              Dear native Alabamans,
              I need some help understanding where the north to south meridian is, and where the east to west baseline is..I realize how to count tiers up and down, and ranges east and west from these.
              Now if I have the same 12S 7E,,, and then I compare section numbers 22 and section number 26, I see that they are kitty-corner, right?and......
              12S 7E 31 is about three miles WSW from 12S 7E 26 ...
              Do I understand this correctly?
              Thank you so much..
              Paula
              CA.

            • robert_s_63134
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 27 4:50 PM
                Hi!

                Yes, I do have descendants for George W. Keith. I also have a few
                descendants for his brother Griffin Keith. There was one other
                brother. I suspect his name was John C. Keith, but can't prove it. He
                also had two sisters, but I don't know their names. I can't even
                speculate. Here is my family page url:
                http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/c/h/Robert-L-
                Schneider/index.html

                Robert Schneider

              • cagle8185@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 29 5:29 AM
                  Surveying and Federal Land Sales
                  Robert Cottrell
                  General Overview of the Rectangular Survey
                  In 1785, the Federal Government began using the rectangular survey system
                  for the organization, division and sale of government-owned frontier lands.
                  With little regard for the natural topography, land was rigidly divided into a
                  graph paper-like grid.

                  "The public lands of the United States are surveyed in a uniform mode, ...
                  by lines run by the cardinal points of the compass; the north and south lines
                  coinciding with the true meridian, and the east and west lines intersecting
                  them at right angles, giving to the tracts thus surveyed, the rectangular
                  form."<1>

                  In the rectangular survey system, the basic unit of land was called a
                  "township." Each township was a square, six miles on each side. This was further
                  subdivided into thirty-six sections each one mile square containing 640 acres.
                  After 1796, each township was numbered with reference to a baseline and a
                  principal meridian. Each township was numbered in a specific sequence.

                  Federal Land Sales
                  To facilitate land sales, these sections could be broken down into half
                  sections (320 acres), quarter sections (160 acres), half-quarter sections (80
                  acres), and quarter-quarter section (40 acres) (fig. ). Legal descriptions of
                  this land would read SW 1/4 and would be a southwest quarter section or 160
                  acres. NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4, quarter-quarter section or 40 acres.
                  In most cases, land was sold in these regular units. The minimum size of
                  these units changed over time according to law. These changes were made to boost
                  land sales by making it easier for more people to purchase land, as many
                  potential settlers complained they could not afford to by large tracts. For
                  example, in 1800, the minimum amount which could be purchased was a half section
                  (320 acres), later it was changed to 160 acres, then 80 acres. Due to rivers,
                  lakes, and other natural features, land was also available in irregular
                  parcels.
                  In 1800, the minimum amount which could be purchased was a half section (320
                  acres) at a minimum cost of $2.00 an acre. The purchaser was also required to
                  pay the survey fee of $6.00 per section and 10 cents per acre when filing.
                  The remainder of the amount due was payable in 4 equal annual installments.
                  The first was within forty days.
                  In 1804, the law was amended to allow for the sale of quarter sections (160
                  acres) as the minimum. In 1816 payments changed to one fourth within two years
                  and the remainder in 2 equal annual payments. An eight percent charge was
                  levied on all payments made after due date. An eight percent discount was given
                  for payment on or before due date.
                  By 1820, the minimum requirement for a land purchase was half quarter
                  sections (80 acres) at a minimum cost of $1.25 per acre, though use of credit was
                  abolished. Land purchased from the government was exempt from taxes for five
                  years. These reductions opened up the land to individual farmers and business
                  men of a lower income instead of the previously wealthy speculators and
                  monopolizing conglomerates of the past.<2>
                  Land Sales and Surveying Techniques
                  Great pains were taken in surveying the land for sale. Chains, compasses,
                  and markers were used to measure distance. Trees of each quarter were
                  identified in the survey notes in order to confirm border lines. Evaluations of the
                  quality of the land were also indicated. Each plat was given a number and
                  recorded on the township map in the plat book. If those who had previously
                  squatted on land could not afford to purchase the land, they were either driven off
                  or had to make financial arrangements with the new owner. Land offices were
                  set up to handle the sale of these lands and to handle the appropriate legal
                  documents.
                  Once land was "improved," the selling price went up substantially. Improved
                  land, in general, was considered to be that on which 15 to 20 acres had been
                  cleared and a log house constructed.<3> As early as December, 1817, improved
                  land in Brookville (Indiana) was fetching $8.00-$10.00 an acre. <4>
                  Although smaller and more affordable than the earlier requirements, selling
                  lots at a minimum of eighty acres apiece, still created a landscape of
                  relative isolation by separating people from one another by fairly large pieces of
                  land.
                  After the initial land purchase from the government, owners could divide up
                  their property into any size lots they wanted and sell them for whatever they
                  could. However, the shape of these lots still seem to have retained the
                  rectangular shape of the survey system. This tendency to extend the grid system
                  can be seen both in farm layout in the country and lot layout in the towns.
                  Surveying in Indiana
                  Except for a relatively small sliver of land in southeast Indiana, known as
                  "the gore", the land in Indiana was all layed out according to the
                  rectangular survey. <5> All of the township lines are numbered from the base line and
                  the range lines are numbered from the second principal meridian.
                  Notes
                  1. "General Instructions T_o His Deputies; By The Surveyor General of the
                  United States, for the States of Ohio and Indiana, and the Territory of
                  Michigan." Cincinnati: John H. Wood, 1833. as cited in Albert White, A History of
                  the Rectangular Survey.
                  2. Barnhart, John D., Ph.D., Indiana From Frontier to Industrial
                  Commonwealth, New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1954, pp. 223-226.
                  3. Lindley, Harlow, Indiana As Seen By Early Travelers. Indianapolis:
                  Indiana Historical Bureau, 1916, p. 168.
                  4. Lindley, 231.
                  5. "Surveying in Indiana" Office of the Marion County Surveyor, Conner
                  PrairieArchive, vertical file 8.87

                  ____________________________________
                  History Online Index_
                  (http://www.connerprairie.org/historyonline/index.html) | _Educational Resources_ (http://www.connerprairie.org/edu/index.html) |
                  _Conner Prairie Home_ (http://www.connerprairie.org/index.html)

                • John Green
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 29 7:41 AM
                    I'm not certain exactly what your asking, but it seems to be the
                    Township/Range/Section method of describing property locations. I
                    don't know the larger division that establishes the east/west dividing
                    lines for Ranges and the north/south lines for Township numbers. By
                    12S7E I think you mean Township 12 South, Range 7 East. The
                    north/south division for the north Alabama area is the Tennessee state
                    line (latitude 35 north). The east/west division is about where US
                    highway 431/231 crosses the AL/TN line.

                    Yes, section number 22 is kitty-cornered to section number 26. Section
                    numbers are assigned within a Township and Range by a very strange
                    method. Section 1 is in the north east corner of the particular Range
                    and township and sections are numbered east to west for Sections 1
                    through 6. Section 7 is just south of Section six and Sections 7
                    through 12 are numbered west to east. Section 13 is just south of
                    Section 12 and then the sections are numbered east to west. This
                    process continues until a 36 section area has been defined by a six by
                    six grouping. I have no idea how this silly system was developed, but
                    it must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

                    John McCollum Green
                    On Jul 27, 2007, at 10:05 AM, paula stockebrand wrote:

                    > Dear native Alabamans,
                    > I need some help understanding where the north to south meridian is,
                    > and where the east to west baseline is..I realize how to count tiers
                    > up and down, and ranges east and west from these.
                    > Now if I have the same 12S 7E,,, and then I compare section numbers
                    > 22 and section number 26, I see that they are kitty-corner,
                    > right?and......
                    > 12S 7E 31 is about three miles WSW from 12S 7E 26 ...
                    > Do I understand this correctly?
                    > Thank you so much..
                    > Paula
                    > CA.

                  • Janet Wright
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 29 7:51 AM
                      Paula, I think the answer to your question(the location of the
                      meridians for township & range in AL) is at
                      http://www.georgespear.com/alatownshp.jpg

                      Janet
                    • paula stockebrand

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 29 11:09 AM
                          Hi List,
                          I don't have a connection or profit from this site but, I do order books
                          for our library and did order the Jackson Co. book that this company has
                          published. It is amazing and I found exactly where my family was in
                          Jackson Co. in relation to all the other connected families. You might
                          want to browse this site. They only do the states that are federal land
                          states, like AL. And, they have not done Madison Co. yet... (I'm in line
                          for the first book <g> ) And of course they don't have TN, since it is
                          metes and bounds state.
                          http://www.arphax.com/

                          Sue

                          paula stockebrand wrote:

                          > That's it!!! Thanks to Bill, John and Janet.....I understand it
                          > now...I can see where twelve south and seven east is now!!! Right near
                          > Gadsden, close to Calhoun County's border with Etowah. That is a
                          > terrific link Janet...
                          > With gratitude,
                          > Paula
                          >
                          > Janet Wright <j.wright@... <mailto:j.wright%40comcast.net>> wrote:
                          > Paula, I think the answer to your question(the location of the
                          > meridians for township & range in AL) is at
                          > http://www.georgespear.com/alatownshp.jpg
                          > <http://www.georgespear.com/alatownshp.jpg>
                          >
                          > Janet

                        • Earl T. Reed
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 29 6:48 PM
                            Hey, Paula,

                            For this meridian, find a map of Huntsville, AL and look for Meridian
                            Street; that is it. Meridian Street intersects with US 431 North just north
                            of Huntsville.

                            Earl Reed

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 30 7:40 AM
                              I have ordered the Anthrax book and found it very difficult to use.
                              The information is good but badly presented. I am glad to hear that
                              new edition is in the works. I wish I had waited to order it.

                              I am a computer person and I thought this information just screamed
                              to be a clickable computer application, so I set out create a proof
                              of concept to send Anthrax, but got interupted and never finished.

                              But I did create the background graphics for it. The background I
                              would have put as the base page for a clickable computer application
                              came from the wonderful book that the folks at the Geography
                              department at the University of AL sent me. I saw a post about this
                              service on this forum a while back and ordered Jackson County for
                              $5.00 and got a lovely bound booklet from these guys. The
                              URL for the order form is:

                              http://www.as.ua.edu/geography/cartlab/publications/order.html

                              Their map is overlaid with the sections and grids that would make the
                              Anthrax book so much more useable. I have put a small version of this
                              map on my Web site:

                              http://annette.bradford.net/tornado/base.jpg

                              Annette
                            • KLinge6131@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                                Robert is there an A B Keith, Married Nancy Ann Bullard. Married 1869 ,
                                Daughter of John Bullard,who issued eighteen children. I beleive the Keith's are
                                of Scottish decent. John Bullard is my GGgrand.
                                K. M. Lingenfelter

                              • Robert Schneider
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 3, 2007
                                  Hi!

                                  I haven't traced the Keith family in Jackson County,
                                  AL beyond the early 1850s. It appears that Griffin,
                                  George W. and John C. all left the county.

                                  There were very many Keiths in Franklin County, TN,
                                  but fewer of them in Jackson County, AL. The ones I
                                  know in Jackson County were George Keith Sr. and wife
                                  martha Gambel, plus five children. The family had two
                                  daughters--names unknown. The sons were definitely
                                  George W. and Griffin. I believe that the third was
                                  John C. based on later census entries and his service
                                  with George W. in the Cherokee Removal. This
                                  particular Keith family I have traced back to Jackson
                                  County, GA.

                                  If you're tracing Keiths, I think you should
                                  definitely check into the Keiths who were in Franklin
                                  County, TN. There also were many Keiths in GA/SC
                                  going back into the 18th century. You can find them
                                  in Lincoln, Hall, Wilkes, Elbert area. Unfortunately,
                                  though I suspect that the George Keith family is
                                  related to these other Keith lines, I cannot prove it.
                                  All I know about the elder George Keith is he was
                                  born in VA about 1760. His wife Martha Gambel was
                                  born in SC between 1760-1770. The two daughters were
                                  born 1800-1810 and 1815-1820. The younger daughter
                                  might have been born in AL, the older one definitely
                                  in GA.

                                  Robert Schneider
                                • Malbuff
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 3, 2007
                                    >If you're tracing Keiths, I think you should
                                    >definitely check into the Keiths who were in Franklin
                                    >County, TN.

                                    There still are a lot of Keiths in Franklin county, Tenn.

                                    Robert, have you been able to trace the Franklin
                                    county Keiths back past James Keith (b. ca. 1814)?
                                    I would have to think there is a relation between him and
                                    your Jackson county Keith line, but I've not been able
                                    to find it.

                                    James Keith married Nancy Jane Larkin, daughter of "Old
                                    Uncle Bill" Larkin and niece of David Larkin of Larkinsville,
                                    probably about 1840. On my first trip to Larkinsville,
                                    someone-- perhaps Mrs Chambless-- pointed out
                                    "Mrs Keith's house" in town. I have not met Mrs Keith
                                    nor do I know her relation to the rest of our Keiths.

                                    The Franklin county Keiths intermarried with Larkins, Stovalls,
                                    Staples, and many other old families of the area. Sallie Keith,
                                    James Keith's daughter, married a Matthews. Jones Keith,
                                    James Keith's son, married Mollie Satterfield, daughter of
                                    Bill Satterfield of Huntland, who took as his second wife
                                    Ovica Ann Gentle, then in her nineties, who had been "Old
                                    Uncle Bill" Larkin's second wife. Family historian Addie Larkin
                                    noted as follows about this marriage:

                                    ""Aunt Ovie" Uncle Bill's last wife, years after he died,
                                    when she was 97, married a Mr. Satterfield, who was 65.
                                    Aunt Ovie was living with Uncle Bill and Aunt Julia Larkin and
                                    was bedfast. They got her up and dressed her in
                                    one of her old fashioned silk dresses for her wedding. She could not
                                    stand without support and had to be carried from the house to the gate.
                                    I witnessed the ceremony but can't recall who performed it.
                                    Mr Satterfield married her for her money."

                                    This marrage took place probably about 1900 or so.
                                    "Aunt Ovie" was kin to the Gentles who operated the store, now
                                    closed, that still stands just off highway 35 near Stephens' Gap
                                    in Jackson county.

                                    James Keith's grandson, William Buford Keith (b. ca. 1879)
                                    also married a Larkin, his second cousin once removed, Laura Juliet Larkin.
                                    Their youngest son, Buford Rutledge Keith, is still alive today
                                    at age 84 and living at Huntland.

                                    Glory to God,

                                    David Malbuff
                                    Strasburg, Virginia

                                    "

                                  • Robert Schneider
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 9, 2007
                                      Hi!

                                      Thanks for the info on the Keiths!

                                      I have done some work on the Keith family(ies) in
                                      Franklin County, TN. I haven't been through the wills
                                      and probate records. I have been through the land
                                      records, which go back to 1808. I found a huge number
                                      of Keith land transactions, most of which involved on
                                      Keith selling to another Keith. The surnames included
                                      Wien, Drake, Brazelton, Lewis, Mason, Donathan,
                                      Roberson, Harris, Shook, Caperton, Campbell, Gray. I
                                      did find one transaction involving a Larkin. This was
                                      John L. Keith selling to John Larkin Book Q
                                      (1836-1840) page 169 and page 267.

                                      The earliest transactions I found involved Daniel
                                      Keith, James Keith, and J.L. Keith. These were in
                                      Book A(1808-1826), pages 303,328, 253, 286; and Books
                                      F & K(1818-1828), pages 57, 111, 139, 266, 405.

                                      I hope someday that I can connect the George
                                      Keith/Martha Gamble family with the rest of the Keith
                                      lines in the general area. I can only suspect a blood
                                      relation, I can't prove it.

                                      Once I get to the wills, I'll let the list know
                                      whether I find anything.

                                      Robert Schneider