Re: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Fackler bus crash

  • Joy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
      Thanks, Regina. I'm not originally from this area, but recall my hubby's late g'mother talking about the bus crash. I'm assuming these are some of the children, b/c I recall the Corbitt name and perhaps that the driver was a Beavers man. I had a Beavers relative - Charlie 1921-1989 - who was married to my dad's sister and I think these Beavers are of the same line.

      Joy

      From: Tina M. Brooks
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
        Leann,
        Thank you for your reply. I'll keep digging. Joy

        > Hubby & I were just at the Price Cemetery in Hollywood, and came
        across several burials of BEAVERS & CORBITT children, 1-18-1960. Was
        this the date of the bus crash in Fackler, where the bus was hit by a
        train? Anyone know where I can find info on this?

        > Thank you.
        >
        > Joy
        Try the library in Stevenson or the old newspapers at the Daily
        Sentinel in Scottsboro.>

        BROOKS, and any Family!

      • rgpipes@hughes.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
          What was your Dad's sister's name? I worked with a BEAVERS about thirty
          eight years ago. She was getting a divorce but can't remember her name.

          I went to school with a Linda Corbitt at Hollywood and Scottsboro and I
          think this was some of her family.

          Just as soon as I get any information I will pass it on.

          Regina

          _____

          From: HYPERLINK

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
            It was in the Jan. 18, 1960 Anniston newspaper. There were four killed righ
            away and they were all Corbitts and Beavers and yes it was Charlie BEAVERS
            driving. They thought he was the Uncle to thoes that were killed. They
            were on their way to school at Stevenson. I tried to copy it and send it to
            you but it is a pay site and I couldn't figure out how to do it.

            Regina

            _____

            From: HYPERLINK

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007
              ANNISTON STAR, Jan. 18, 1960
              NINE HURT AS TRAIN HITS BUS
              FACKLER SITE OF TRAGEDY

              Francis CORBITT, Mary Grace CORBITT, sisters, Leonard BEAVERS, Foster
              BEAVERS brothers were killed at the scene

              Critically Injured were:
              Marcus Wade McCrary, Burley W. CORBITT, Albert CORBITT Jr., Gordon BEAVERS,
              James Larry CORBITT, Carolyn CORBITT, John Wayne McCRARY and Shelia BEAVERS.

              That's all I have on the accident but like I said earlier Charlie BEAVERS
              was driving the bus.

              Regina

              _____

              From: HYPERLINK

              From: HYPERLINK
              "mailto:jacksongene-alogy%40yahoogro-ups.com"jacksong-enealogy@--yahoogroups
              .--co
              [mailto:HYPERLINK

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007
                My aunt was Cheryl Magdalene. There were several Charlie Beavers, and I know at one time they lived in Chattanooga (1950's), but left there to Moore County, Tn - where my Aunt Maggie was from. She & Uncle Charlie did divorce, but in all the years I've never heard it mentioned about a bus crash. Truth be told, I thought the bus driver was a Marvin maybe.. Oh well.
                My Uncle Charlie died in 1989 in Pisgah, where he'd moved after he & Aunt Maggie divorced. I'm sure he's related to some of the Beavers in the area. The late Howard Beavers of Stevenson had a son who was the spitting image of one of Uncle Charlie's boys.
                Thanks for the info.

                Joy

                From: HYPERLINK

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8, 2007
                  Hello,

                  My mother knew the Beavers and some folks involved in this bus crash. I will be glad to ask her for detail if you like. You can email me directly at donna_m_mcdaniel@....

                  I remember her showing me several people killed in this crash that are buried at Lakeview/Price Cemetary.

                  I believe he was related to one of her aunt's husband.

                  Thanks!
                  Donna

                  From: HYPERLINK