RE: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Fackler bus crash

  • rgpipes@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
      I remember when this happened but can't remember where it happened. The
      children went to Hollywood school. I was about in the fourth or fifth grade
      when it happened. I know that some of my family would remember. I'll ask
      them when I see them.

      Regina

      _____

      From: Tina M. Brooks
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Joy" <joy0420@...> wrote:

        > Hubby & I were just at the Price Cemetery in Hollywood, and came
        across several burials of BEAVERS & CORBITT children, 1-18-1960. Was
        this the date of the bus crash in Fackler, where the bus was hit by a
        train? Anyone know where I can find info on this?

        > Thank you.
        >
        > Joy
        Try the library in Stevenson or the old newspapers at the Daily
        Sentinel in Scottsboro.>

        BROOKS, and any Family!

        > Note: forwarded message attached.
        >
        > ¿"Be E᧥ WiTh It"¿
        > ~Tiñá~

      • Joy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
          Thanks, Regina. I'm not originally from this area, but recall my hubby's late g'mother talking about the bus crash. I'm assuming these are some of the children, b/c I recall the Corbitt name and perhaps that the driver was a Beavers man. I had a Beavers relative - Charlie 1921-1989 - who was married to my dad's sister and I think these Beavers are of the same line.

          Joy

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
            Leann,
            Thank you for your reply. I'll keep digging. Joy

          • rgpipes@hughes.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
              What was your Dad's sister's name? I worked with a BEAVERS about thirty
              eight years ago. She was getting a divorce but can't remember her name.

              I went to school with a Linda Corbitt at Hollywood and Scottsboro and I
              think this was some of her family.

              Just as soon as I get any information I will pass it on.

              Regina

              _____

              From: HYPERLINK

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 6, 2007
                It was in the Jan. 18, 1960 Anniston newspaper. There were four killed righ
                away and they were all Corbitts and Beavers and yes it was Charlie BEAVERS
                driving. They thought he was the Uncle to thoes that were killed. They
                were on their way to school at Stevenson. I tried to copy it and send it to
                you but it is a pay site and I couldn't figure out how to do it.

                Regina

                _____

                From: HYPERLINK

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007
                  ANNISTON STAR, Jan. 18, 1960
                  NINE HURT AS TRAIN HITS BUS
                  FACKLER SITE OF TRAGEDY

                  Francis CORBITT, Mary Grace CORBITT, sisters, Leonard BEAVERS, Foster
                  BEAVERS brothers were killed at the scene

                  Critically Injured were:
                  Marcus Wade McCrary, Burley W. CORBITT, Albert CORBITT Jr., Gordon BEAVERS,
                  James Larry CORBITT, Carolyn CORBITT, John Wayne McCRARY and Shelia BEAVERS.

                  That's all I have on the accident but like I said earlier Charlie BEAVERS
                  was driving the bus.

                  Regina

                  _____

                  From: HYPERLINK

                  From: HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:jacksongene-alogy%40yahoogro-ups.com"jacksong-enealogy@--yahoogroups
                  .--co
                  [mailto:HYPERLINK

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007
                    My aunt was Cheryl Magdalene. There were several Charlie Beavers, and I know at one time they lived in Chattanooga (1950's), but left there to Moore County, Tn - where my Aunt Maggie was from. She & Uncle Charlie did divorce, but in all the years I've never heard it mentioned about a bus crash. Truth be told, I thought the bus driver was a Marvin maybe.. Oh well.
                    My Uncle Charlie died in 1989 in Pisgah, where he'd moved after he & Aunt Maggie divorced. I'm sure he's related to some of the Beavers in the area. The late Howard Beavers of Stevenson had a son who was the spitting image of one of Uncle Charlie's boys.
                    Thanks for the info.

                    Joy

                    From: HYPERLINK

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 8, 2007
                      Hello,

                      My mother knew the Beavers and some folks involved in this bus crash. I will be glad to ask her for detail if you like. You can email me directly at donna_m_mcdaniel@....

                      I remember her showing me several people killed in this crash that are buried at Lakeview/Price Cemetary.

                      I believe he was related to one of her aunt's husband.

                      Thanks!
                      Donna

                      From: HYPERLINK