Re: [jacksongenealogy]Caleb Milton Walls

  • paula stockebrand
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
      Caleb Milton showed on the 1850 census (Jackson County) as being 37.

      Caleb's wife, Margaret (Widow of Drury V Womack of
      Jackson County) lived on in Scottsboro after 1854 when she filed for
      divorce from Caleb. There are many records of Margaret being in court
      after this date, land records of selling off the land she got in the
      divorce settlement of 1857 and so forth. As for Caleb's mother, we have” Malinda Browning” .
      The Civil War played no part in this line except for the interruption
      Of the record line caused by the Union soldiers billeted in the
      courthouse in Jackson County who burned most of the available records during their
      14 month stay there. The Southern sympathizers stole and hid as many
      record books as they could when word reached them that the Union army
      was on the way there from Huntsville. Most of what they saved were court
      records and proceedings, there are no marriage, death, birth records
      and very few land records of the period.

      Caleb Milton Walls, who may have fled Jackson County Alabama in

      1854 after having killed a neighbor at a "lady's" house there. There is no record of Caleb after that . Some say that Caleb died about 1855. Is there a way to find a record of a death for this time period in Jackson County? Any ideas would be appreciated. Does anyone recognize the Womack or Browning names?

      Thank you so much

      Paula

      pfabionar@yahoo

    • paula stockebrand
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
        My sincere thanks to Ann for the records on this family.
        Paula
        PS
        Regarding two seperate William M. Walls:
        I have a marriage on Nov 25, 1860 to a Margaret A. Williams (born 1830) in England, Lonoke county Arkansas. I also have a marriage in 1904 to a Louisa Smith (born @1886).