Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: The Georgia Road

  • altafae@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2 1:46 PM
      In a message dated 7/1/2007 10:17:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      blackcloud27030@... writes:

      Old Federal Road Cherokee Lands.

      _http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnmcmin2/OldFederalRoad.htm_
      (http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnmcmin2/OldFederalRoad.htm)

      _http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-801_
      (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-801)

      _http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~oldfedrd/oldfedhistory.html_
      (http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~oldfedrd/oldfedhistory.html)

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands) )

      The Federal Road through the Cherokee nation is shown as passing northwest
      to southeast through the modern day Georgia counties of Walker, Catoosa,
      Whitfield, Murray, Gilmer, Pickens, Dawson, Forsyth, Hall, Jackson, into Clarke
      county where it intersected the Pickens Trail (NE to SW) and became the Middle
      Cherokee Path. The Middle Cherokee Path continued in a southeasterly
      direction through modern day Oglethorpe, Wilkens, Lincoln, Columbia, and Richmond
      counties to Augusta. The Pickens Trail ran in a southwesterly direction from the
      Upper Cherokee Path in Franklin county near South Carolina to the Lower
      Cherokee Road where modern day Greene, Morgan, and Putnam counties meet. Source:
      "The Atlas of Georgia", The Institute of Community and Area Development and
      Department of Geography, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602,1986 _ISBN
      0-911847-03-0_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Booksources&isbn=0911847030) , pg. 68 and county overlay.

      Retrieved from
      "_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_%28Cherokee_lands%29_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands)) "

      _http://pickenscountyga.gov/history.html_
      (http://pickenscountyga.gov/history.html)

    • nettiebau1952
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29 8:27 PM
        When I saw this discussion almost a month ago about the Georgia Road,
        a distant bell chimed in my head, and today while looking up
        information about the Newman family and the movement of early
        settlers into Coosa County, I ran up on this excerpt from the journal
        of Henry Newman about this road and migration.

        In the journal of Henry S. Matthews, he describes his family's move
        from Meriwether County, Georgia to Tallapoosa County in 1856.

        They presented quite a caravan of wagons with livestock being driven
        along with them. The children rode the wagons for a while and then
        gleefully got down and scampered along with the wagon train. At night
        they pulled the wagons into a grove (close to church if possible),
        cooked the meals on the ground in cast iron pots, and slept in the
        wagons. They crossed the Chattahoochee at Abbotsville Georgia, at the
        ford north of West Point, Georgia. That crossed the Tallapoosa on the
        ferry near today's Bibbee's Ferry, and continued to near Youngville
        in Tallapoosa County, in what is known today as Sunny Level community.

        Among the people in this wagon train were Dr. John Matthews, who
        settled in Hanover, and Charles A Matthews, who later brought his
        family to Hanover. The same or general route as described here was
        used by many families. We think it became known as the Georgia Road.

        Annette Bradford