Re: The Georgia Road

  • Robert Schneider
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi!

      Thanks very much for the great replies! This is a big
      help for me. I'm just startled that info on this
      isn't up somewhere on the internet. (Maybe it is, but
      I've just missed it!)

      Robert Schneider
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
        Try searching for the Old Federal Road Cherokee Lands.

      • altafae@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
          In a message dated 7/1/2007 10:17:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          blackcloud27030@... writes:

          Old Federal Road Cherokee Lands.

          _http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnmcmin2/OldFederalRoad.htm_
          (http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnmcmin2/OldFederalRoad.htm)

          _http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-801_
          (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-801)

          _http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~oldfedrd/oldfedhistory.html_
          (http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~oldfedrd/oldfedhistory.html)

          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands_
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands) )

          The Federal Road through the Cherokee nation is shown as passing northwest
          to southeast through the modern day Georgia counties of Walker, Catoosa,
          Whitfield, Murray, Gilmer, Pickens, Dawson, Forsyth, Hall, Jackson, into Clarke
          county where it intersected the Pickens Trail (NE to SW) and became the Middle
          Cherokee Path. The Middle Cherokee Path continued in a southeasterly
          direction through modern day Oglethorpe, Wilkens, Lincoln, Columbia, and Richmond
          counties to Augusta. The Pickens Trail ran in a southwesterly direction from the
          Upper Cherokee Path in Franklin county near South Carolina to the Lower
          Cherokee Road where modern day Greene, Morgan, and Putnam counties meet. Source:
          "The Atlas of Georgia", The Institute of Community and Area Development and
          Department of Geography, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602,1986 _ISBN
          0-911847-03-0_
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Booksources&isbn=0911847030) , pg. 68 and county overlay.

          Retrieved from
          "_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_%28Cherokee_lands%29_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands)) "

          _http://pickenscountyga.gov/history.html_
          (http://pickenscountyga.gov/history.html)

        • nettiebau1952
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2007
            When I saw this discussion almost a month ago about the Georgia Road,
            a distant bell chimed in my head, and today while looking up
            information about the Newman family and the movement of early
            settlers into Coosa County, I ran up on this excerpt from the journal
            of Henry Newman about this road and migration.

            In the journal of Henry S. Matthews, he describes his family's move
            from Meriwether County, Georgia to Tallapoosa County in 1856.

            They presented quite a caravan of wagons with livestock being driven
            along with them. The children rode the wagons for a while and then
            gleefully got down and scampered along with the wagon train. At night
            they pulled the wagons into a grove (close to church if possible),
            cooked the meals on the ground in cast iron pots, and slept in the
            wagons. They crossed the Chattahoochee at Abbotsville Georgia, at the
            ford north of West Point, Georgia. That crossed the Tallapoosa on the
            ferry near today's Bibbee's Ferry, and continued to near Youngville
            in Tallapoosa County, in what is known today as Sunny Level community.

            Among the people in this wagon train were Dr. John Matthews, who
            settled in Hanover, and Charles A Matthews, who later brought his
            family to Hanover. The same or general route as described here was
            used by many families. We think it became known as the Georgia Road.

            Annette Bradford