Re: McGavock Confederate Cemetery at Franklin, Tn. (Williamson County)

  • goffgirl1850
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
      THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION
      I NEVER WOULD HAVE KNOWN

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Loretta Simmons
      <dwightsf2176@...> wrote:

      > Many researchers may not be aware that the McGavock Confederate
      Cemetery in
      > Franklin, Tennessee is the Burial location of nearly 1500
      Confederate Soldiers from
      > the Battle of Franklin which took place on November 30, 1864, the
      numbers killed,
      > and States they were from are as follows,
      >
      > Texas- 89
      > Missouri - 130
      > Arkansas - 104
      > Mississippi - 424
      > Tennessee- 230
      > Alabama - 129
      > Georgia - 69
      > South Carolina - 51
      > Louisiana - 18
      > Kentucky - 6
      > Florida - 4
      > North Carolina - 2
      > Unknown - 225
      >
      > In addition, there is a Hospital list that consist of 133 Men
      that was kept by the
      > Surgeon in charge of the Hospital, the Hospital list, and a list
      of those Buried at
      > this Confederate Cemetery is in a small 42 page book by Franklin
      Chapter # 14
      > United Daughters of the Confederacy.
      >
      > I hope this information will be helpful in some way.
      >
      > Dwight Simmons

    • Shelley Woodall
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 6:39 PM
        Just an aside:

        I am currently reading a novel by Robert Hicks called
        "The Widow of the South" which is based on the true
        story of Carrie McGavock and what happened at the
        Battle of Franklin and after. So far it has been a
        good read.

        Shelley Woodall

        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/