McGavock Confederate Cemetery at Franklin, Tn. (Williamson County)

  • Loretta Simmons
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
      Many researchers may not be aware that the McGavock Confederate Cemetery in
      Franklin, Tennessee is the Burial location of nearly 1500 Confederate Soldiers from
      the Battle of Franklin which took place on November 30, 1864, the numbers killed,
      and States they were from are as follows,

      Texas- 89
      Missouri - 130
      Arkansas - 104
      Mississippi - 424
      Tennessee- 230
      Alabama - 129
      Georgia - 69
      South Carolina - 51
      Louisiana - 18
      Kentucky - 6
      Florida - 4
      North Carolina - 2
      Unknown - 225

      In addition, there is a Hospital list that consist of 133 Men that was kept by the
      Surgeon in charge of the Hospital, the Hospital list, and a list of those Buried at
      this Confederate Cemetery is in a small 42 page book by Franklin Chapter # 14
      United Daughters of the Confederacy.

      I hope this information will be helpful in some way.

      Dwight Simmons

    • goffgirl1850
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
        THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION
        I NEVER WOULD HAVE KNOWN

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Loretta Simmons
        <dwightsf2176@...> wrote:

        > Many researchers may not be aware that the McGavock Confederate
        Cemetery in
        > Franklin, Tennessee is the Burial location of nearly 1500
        Confederate Soldiers from
        > the Battle of Franklin which took place on November 30, 1864, the
        numbers killed,
        > and States they were from are as follows,
        >
        > Texas- 89
        > Missouri - 130
        > Arkansas - 104
        > Mississippi - 424
        > Tennessee- 230
        > Alabama - 129
        > Georgia - 69
        > South Carolina - 51
        > Louisiana - 18
        > Kentucky - 6
        > Florida - 4
        > North Carolina - 2
        > Unknown - 225
        >
        > In addition, there is a Hospital list that consist of 133 Men
        that was kept by the
        > Surgeon in charge of the Hospital, the Hospital list, and a list
        of those Buried at
        > this Confederate Cemetery is in a small 42 page book by Franklin
        Chapter # 14
        > United Daughters of the Confederacy.
        >
        > I hope this information will be helpful in some way.
        >
        > Dwight Simmons

      • Shelley Woodall
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
          Just an aside:

          I am currently reading a novel by Robert Hicks called
          "The Widow of the South" which is based on the true
          story of Carrie McGavock and what happened at the
          Battle of Franklin and after. So far it has been a
          good read.

          Shelley Woodall

          http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/