The Georgia Road

  • robert_s_63134
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2007
      Hi!

      Does anyone know the route of the old Georgia Road? It ran from
      Savannah to Nashville. I don't the date of creation. I've tried
      finding info on this but no luck. I'm really wondering whether it
      might have come through Jackson County, AL. Did some of my Georgia
      relatives move into AL by way of the Georgia Road?

      Robert Schneider
    • paula stockebrand

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2007
          Yes Robert,

          The Georgia Road was built around 1800 and followed native and animal
          trails from Savannah to Nashville. An agreement was reached to cross
          native lands and many of the native Americans became inn keepers and
          ferry operators along the road. Yes the road skirted the Jackson
          County area as it came through the Jasper Tennessee area. There was
          another early road that connected Jasper to Bellefonte. So quite
          possibly your Georgia ancestors came here via the old Georgia Road

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "robert_s_63134"

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2007
            Nashville NC? Tennessee? not sure where your are describing.Thank you for clarity.
            Paula

          • RKi4222422@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30, 2007
              I have ancestors, one born in 1811 AL and the other 1817 NC. They lived in
              Jackson County, AL. What could have been any Native American connection?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2007
                The Old Georgia Road existed during the Revolutionary War era. It started
                as an old Indian trading path. From its origins in western Georgia, it
                entered what is today Spartanburg County by crossing the Enoree River approximately
                on the route of present day SC route 417. It traveled in a northeasterly
                direction and crossed Blackstock road that also existed at that time. It joined
                present day SC route 295 just west of where it crosses SC 56. It continued
                on to cross Lawson's Fork Creek at the site of Wofford's Iron Works. The
                Iron Works was about ½ mile or so upstream from the present Glendale bridge
                crossing. The road continued on to intersect the present Clifton Glendale Road.

                The road continued to the present site of Clifton, known then as Hurricane
                Shoals. It crossed the Pacolet River above Pattersons Springs and continued
                on to cross the Green River Road just west of what is today Thicketty
                Station. The Battle of Cowpens took place on the Green River Road about 10 miles
                north of this crossing. The Road then ran by what was to became Gaffneys Tavern
                in 1802, the future site of the town of Gaffney. It continued on to cross the
                Broad River at Cherokee Ford. The Georgia Road, the Blackstock Road, the
                Green River Road and the few others in the upstate were little more than rough
                muddy paths. However, as bad as they were, they were important to the
                military actions during the Revolutionary War and to the growth of the area after
                the War.

              • Robert Schneider
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
                  Hi!

                  Thanks very much for the great replies! This is a big
                  help for me. I'm just startled that info on this
                  isn't up somewhere on the internet. (Maybe it is, but
                  I've just missed it!)

                  Robert Schneider
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
                    Try searching for the Old Federal Road Cherokee Lands.

                  • altafae@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
                      In a message dated 7/1/2007 10:17:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                      blackcloud27030@... writes:

                      Old Federal Road Cherokee Lands.

                      _http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnmcmin2/OldFederalRoad.htm_
                      (http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnmcmin2/OldFederalRoad.htm)

                      _http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-801_
                      (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-801)

                      _http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~oldfedrd/oldfedhistory.html_
                      (http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~oldfedrd/oldfedhistory.html)

                      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands_
                      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands) )

                      The Federal Road through the Cherokee nation is shown as passing northwest
                      to southeast through the modern day Georgia counties of Walker, Catoosa,
                      Whitfield, Murray, Gilmer, Pickens, Dawson, Forsyth, Hall, Jackson, into Clarke
                      county where it intersected the Pickens Trail (NE to SW) and became the Middle
                      Cherokee Path. The Middle Cherokee Path continued in a southeasterly
                      direction through modern day Oglethorpe, Wilkens, Lincoln, Columbia, and Richmond
                      counties to Augusta. The Pickens Trail ran in a southwesterly direction from the
                      Upper Cherokee Path in Franklin county near South Carolina to the Lower
                      Cherokee Road where modern day Greene, Morgan, and Putnam counties meet. Source:
                      "The Atlas of Georgia", The Institute of Community and Area Development and
                      Department of Geography, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602,1986 _ISBN
                      0-911847-03-0_
                      (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Booksources&isbn=0911847030) , pg. 68 and county overlay.

                      Retrieved from
                      "_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_%28Cherokee_lands%29_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands)) "

                      _http://pickenscountyga.gov/history.html_
                      (http://pickenscountyga.gov/history.html)

                    • nettiebau1952
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 29, 2007
                        When I saw this discussion almost a month ago about the Georgia Road,
                        a distant bell chimed in my head, and today while looking up
                        information about the Newman family and the movement of early
                        settlers into Coosa County, I ran up on this excerpt from the journal
                        of Henry Newman about this road and migration.

                        In the journal of Henry S. Matthews, he describes his family's move
                        from Meriwether County, Georgia to Tallapoosa County in 1856.

                        They presented quite a caravan of wagons with livestock being driven
                        along with them. The children rode the wagons for a while and then
                        gleefully got down and scampered along with the wagon train. At night
                        they pulled the wagons into a grove (close to church if possible),
                        cooked the meals on the ground in cast iron pots, and slept in the
                        wagons. They crossed the Chattahoochee at Abbotsville Georgia, at the
                        ford north of West Point, Georgia. That crossed the Tallapoosa on the
                        ferry near today's Bibbee's Ferry, and continued to near Youngville
                        in Tallapoosa County, in what is known today as Sunny Level community.

                        Among the people in this wagon train were Dr. John Matthews, who
                        settled in Hanover, and Charles A Matthews, who later brought his
                        family to Hanover. The same or general route as described here was
                        used by many families. We think it became known as the Georgia Road.

                        Annette Bradford