Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Keel Cemetery (Keel, McCulley, Lewis)

  • John Green
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 26, 2007
      Well, if any of our family (McCollums and Greens at any rate) were
      involved in this murder, it wasn't because of Lewis' politics or his
      service in Morgan's Raiders. They were staunch Confederates. At least
      five McCollums and probably more and at least one Green served in
      various Confederate units. In fact, James Green died of some illness
      while at Camp Fisher VA in December 1861 as reported by his friend and
      neighbor Newton McCollum in a letter to his parents that I have. James
      is buried in the Beech Grove Cemetery near Francisco, AL. I also have
      another letter which was written November the 4th, but no year
      mentioned. Both upper corners are torn off. I believe this was done
      to remove the year and the person the letter is addressed to. The
      letter begins "Dear Uncle" which I believe is Curtis McCollum and is
      signed by his nephew John R. McCollum. He reports that General ___?__
      "Got into a fight at the wildcat camp in Kentucky". I wonder if he
      might have been referring to Morgan's Raiders? Curtis' daughter,
      Charlotte, is also mentioned as asking if they had received a letter
      from Dock. This was the family nickname for the Newton McCollum
      mentioned above. Curtis McCollum his wife Cynthia and daughter
      Charlotte were all named by Union Sympathizers as being in the
      Confederate Underground in Giles County TN. Newton's brother Jasper
      was accused of helping lynch one of the Unionists.

    • cagle8185@aol.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 11, 2007
        All

        Someone sent me a picture of John (Pig) Riddle some time back. In my
        travels and receiving email I have misplaced the picture. My intent was to save the
        picture until I could get to a printer and print the pic.but now I cannot
        find it. Could we please reconnect and get a copy of the pic.? D. Simmons is
        also looking for this.

        Thanks

        Bill Cagle