Land Ownership by Minors in Lawrence County in 1866

  • Loretta Simmons
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2007
      I have a copy of a land Deed from Lawrence County, Alabama dated Oct. 5th 1866
      wherein it list four of my great great Aunts & Uncle listed on the Deed at a date in time
      (1866) that these Children would have all been Minors, (under age 18) listed also on the
      Deed are two other individuals unknown to me at this time, however I assume at least one
      of the two were of age, possibly grandparents ?

      My Relatives mentioned above were the buyers, the sellers were a couple from Madison Co.
      Alabama, and after a search of the Madison Co. Probate Office for this land transaction, I
      found that both copies (Lawrence & Madison Co. Deeds) were identical for the exception of
      being written in a different hand.

      Just as puzzling to me is the date in which the Deed was recorded in the Lawrence County
      Probate Office, which was Feb. 22, 1901, 35 years later, I have written to both the
      Lawrence, and Madison County Probate Offices for a possible explanation for the Minor
      Children Ownership, and the 35 year filing time period for filing the Deed, however as with
      my tract record in solving these type Genealogy questions, my record does not improve
      with this mystery.

      Should anyone have any ideas, or more information about how the Probate Land Offices
      may have worked in 1866 that allowed Minor Land Ownership, I would be very much
      interested in the information, the land in question in Lawrence Co. was in Range 6 West,
      Township # 5, Sections 28 & 29.

      Dwight Simmons
      25 Forest Green Drive
      Springfield, IL. 62711