RE: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 258

  • Anne Rohr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2001
      Alta, I was interested in reading your message re "Coffee Town". I noticed
      your list of family names contained the name Sublett. My great grandmother
      was Maggie (Margaret) Louella Horton Padgett Sublett. She was married to
      David Anderson Padgett, who died 31 May 1887 at the age of 32. He was a
      doctor. She lived with her parents for two or three years, then married a
      William M. Sublett. I was just wondering if there was a connection to your
      Subletts? She was from Jackson Co., AL, and I think living in Scottsboro
      after the death of David Anderson Padgett. I would love to hear from you if
      you think that there could be a connection. They had two children, Harvey,
      who died around 1 1/2 years, and Horton, who died in infancy. I will gladly
      share anything I have that you might want, though I know very little about
      William Sublett. Thanks! Anne

      From: Faye Craig <fcraig@...>
      2. Re: Coffee town
      From: "Alta Wallace" <altagram@...>
      3. Re: Re: William M. Beavers/Paint Rock Valley book
      From: marywinn@...
      4. Re: Jewel
      From: "J Casey" <jcasey@...>
      5. Re: Jewel
      From: "J Casey" <jcasey@...>
      6. Re: Digest Number 257
      From: "Larry A. Hancock" <lah431@...>
      7. Re: Jewel
      From: MaryTom482@...
      8. Mary Winn/Paint Rock Valley book
      From: "deeno" <deeno@...>
      9. Re: Jewel
      From: "J Casey" <jcasey@...>
      10. Re: Re: Coffee town
      From: "Sherrie Wood" <loulou@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 10:18:45 -0600
      From: Faye Craig <fcraig@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: William M. Beavers/Paint Rock Valley book

      Hi Charlie, I can find no connection thus far with our Campbell lines.
      My earliest proven ancestor is George Washington Campbell b. 4-30-1810,
      thought to be the son of Theophilus Campbell.

      Sorry I can't be of more help.

      Regards,
      Faye

      Charles McCutchen wrote:

      > Faye,
      > I've been stuck on my great grandfather Ben Campbell
      > and wife Fanny McCollough. I know his father was
      > Benjamin M. "Mack C." Campbell and hims mother was
      > Palina "Pliney" Paralee Dulaney. Do these Campbells
      > fit into any information you have?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Charlie.

      > http://photos.yahoo.com/

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 11:02:10 -0600
      From: "Alta Wallace" <altagram@...>
      Subject: Re: Coffee town

      Can anyone tell me about Coffee town, 1850--? Looks like most of mine lived
      there--Wellborns-wilburns, Sublett, Maples, Romans, Hugh and Mary coffee.
      What are the cemeteries? How large is it, where is it located?
      Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 14:03:27 EST
      From: marywinn@...

      I don't think Paint Rock Valley Pioneers is available anymore.

      I have a copy and will do lookups.

      Mary Winn Anderson

      Message: 4
      Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:31:50 -0600
      From: "J Casey" <jcasey@...>
      Subject: Re: Jewel

      To everyone:
      I bought the 1870 Jackson County, AL census from:
      Jessie J. Brandon Griffith
      1002 Lakeview Drive
      Rossville, GA 30741

      when it first came out in 1989. Not sure the book is still available but
      someone else might know about it.

      As far as "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" by Kittye Henshaw, Evelyn Rochelle
      and Addie Shaver, it is my understaning that it is no longer available. Ms.
      Kitty passed away recently and Evelyn Rochelle and Addie Shaver both live in
      Huntsville and can be contacted through "Valley Leaves" Tennessee Valley
      Genealogical Society, Inc. in Huntsville. Their web site is
      http://hiwaay.net/~white/TVGS/tvgs.html

      Thanks
      Jewel

      > >Looked in 1870 census book by Jessie Brandon Griffith and didn't find any
      > >Beavers listed.
      >
      > >Hope this helps you
      > >Jewel
      >
      > Jewel,
      >
      > Is there such a book for sale? I would be interested in it, if so.
      >
      > I am looking for the Elijah Graves family. They were in Jackson Co
      1834-at
      > least 1870. He is not on the 1870 census, but his wife is and she is
      listed
      > as a widow.
      >
      > I would really love to have the bk. I have subscribed to the Jackson
      County
      > Chronicles and am anxiously awaiting the January issue. So, the cem bk
      will
      > be a plus!
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Rayedene Graves

      Message: 5
      Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:37:48 -0600
      From: "J Casey" <jcasey@...>

      June 2, 1870 Jackson County, AL
      Subdivision 2, Big Coon
      #195-199
      A.J. Willis 20 (male) Ala. school teacher

      No Taylor Cameron listed.

      Thanks

      > I read with much interest your note about the 1870 Census book by Jessie
      > Brandon Griffith. Is that book for sale and how would I purchase one?
      > Would you be so kind to see if Alfred Willis is listed and if Taylor
      Cameron
      > is listed.
      > Thank you so much. Mary Drew

      Message: 6
      Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 14:02:10 -0600
      From: "Larry A. Hancock" <lah431@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 257

      One "GOOD" thing about this list is that you don't have to worry about
      erasing anything important. Everyone keeps sending the whole dern digest
      back with their messages. Don't ya'll know how to stop doing that. It'll
      make the digest easier to read if you'll erase all the unnecessary junk,
      and just highlight the intent of what you are responding to if you are
      answering someone.

      LAH.

      Message: 7
      Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 16:17:15 EST
      From: MaryTom482@...

      Thank you so much for looking this up for me. Am most interested in the
      Willis genealogy. Have hit so many blocks!!!!! Mary Willis Drew

      Message: 8
      Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 15:18:14 -0600
      From: "deeno" <deeno@...>
      Subject: Mary Winn/Paint Rock Valley book

      I don't think Paint Rock Valley Pioneers is available anymore.

      > I have a copy and will do lookups.
      >
      > Mary Winn Anderson

      Mary,

      Would you look for Elijah Graves? He is enumerated in the Jackson Co AL
      census from 1840(having arrived there 1837) through 1860, his widow and
      family in 1870.

      Thank you for the offer,

      Rayedene Graves

      Message: 9
      Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:38:53 -0600
      From: "J Casey" <jcasey@...>

      Mary, there was also
      in the same area as A.J. Willis

      #60-60
      Larkin Willis 42 AL
      Cynthia 38 TN
      John 20 TN
      Cynthia 18 AL
      Wm. 16 TN
      Wilson 12 AL
      Mary 10 AL
      Musadore 8 AL female
      James 6 AL
      Thos. 4 AL
      Edgar 5/12 AL (Dec)
      Walter 5/12 AL (Dec)

      #248-252
      Elizabeth Willis 33 AL
      Serena 14 AL
      Sarah J. 12 AL
      Nancy 6 AL

      #253-257
      Wm. L. Ferguson 62 NC
      Martha 50 TN
      Sarah E. 24 TN
      Amos Wilson 18 TN Female (Wilson may have been her middle
      name-yes listed as female
      Amanda M. 15 TN
      John M. 10 TN
      Wm. L. Willis 34 Miss-teacher

      #768-773
      Elizabeth Willis 62 TN
      Wilson 29 AL
      Alfred 17 AL
      Susan 12 AL
      Michael 10 TN
      Darcus C. 50 VA

      Then Scottsboro, 300 June 1, 1870
      #312-311
      James Willis 44 AL laborer
      Margaret 46 AL
      Susannah 22 AL
      Calvin 20 AL
      John H. 17 AL
      Nancy A. 10 AL

      Scottsboro T3-R4#50-50
      James Willis 45 AL
      Margaret 41 AL
      Calvin 20 AL
      John H. 17 AL
      Mary 15 AL
      Nancy E. 12 AL
      James M. 9 AL
      Wm. 6 AL
      Ann M. 3 AL
      Susannah Allan 23 AL
      Samuel C. 4 AL
      It appears he is an Allan

      June 21, 1870 Woodville Subdivision #4
      There was Calvin Willis 20 AL
      Works on R.R. living with a Charles Davis or Dover

      Township 4 Range 5 East (probably of Scottsboro or Woodville)

      #7-7
      Sarah Willis 36 AL
      Olivia E. 22 AL
      Arkansas 19 AL

      Sure hope this helps you with your Willis research
      Jewel D. Casey

      > Thank you so much for looking this up for me. Am most interested in the
      > Willis genealogy. Have hit so many blocks!!!!! Mary Willis Drew

      Message: 10
      Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 06:26:54 -0600
      From: "Sherrie Wood" <loulou@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Coffee town

      Could anyone tell me anything about Swain, Alabama and Wood Reservation?
      Thanks to anyone who will be willing to help--I really lost..........Sherrie
      Swain-Wood