Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: JACKSON COUNTY GRAVEYARDS

  • Karl Plenge
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2007
      Is the old Keel Cemetery on Keel Mtn not in Jackson County? Can
      someone please give me information about this cemetery and directions
      to get to it?

      epodunk.com and some other similar sites usually have pretty good resources for finding cemeteries. Enter a city, and you can display all the nearby cemeteries on a map of the area.

      In this particular case, I was able to find a Keel Cemetery faster on this site:

      http://www.city-data.com/zips/35760.html

      I am not from Jackson Co and don't know the area, so I don't know if this is the one you're looking for or not, but it also will show the listed cemeteries on the adjacent map.

      I just tried searching epodunk directly (vs using Google), and it appears to have come up with the same location:

      http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=71128

    • dragonriders118
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2007
        Keel Mountain cemetery is actually just over the Jackson County line in
        Madison County. If you drive west from Scottsboro on US 72, just after
        you cross the Paint Rock River turn left on Jackson County Road 5.
        After crossing the Madison County line bear/turn left on Cherry Tree
        Road. Take first road to the right which will be Keel Hollow Road.
        Near the base of the mountain you will find the Keel Mountain Cemetery
        on your left. I used a current Jackson County map and an old Madison
        County map to get these directions. There may have been some changes
        since I've driven Keel Hollow, so take instructions with a grain of
        salt.

        John
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Plenge" <kmplenge@...>
        wrote:

        > Is the old Keel Cemetery on Keel Mtn not in Jackson County? Can
        > someone please give me information about this cemetery and directions
        > to get to it?
        >

        > epodunk.com and some other similar sites usually have pretty good
        resources for finding cemeteries. Enter a city, and you can display all
        the nearby cemeteries on a map of the area.

        > In this particular case, I was able to find a Keel Cemetery faster on
        this site:

        > http://www.city-data.com/zips/35760.html
        >
        > I am not from Jackson Co and don't know the area, so I don't know if
        this is the one you're looking for or not, but it also will show the
        listed cemeteries on the adjacent map.

        > I just tried searching epodunk directly (vs using Google), and it
        appears to have come up with the same location:

        > http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=71128

      • Patricia Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18, 2007
          Thank you for the information. My husband and I will be in the area in July, and I would like very much to visit this cemetery. I am related to the Keels. My McCulley and Millican family also lived in the area so we wanted to see where they had lived. Pat Smith, Bakersfield, CA