Re: Charles Franklin Simmons Jackson Co. Sheriff 1939-1943

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 23, 2007
      Let's go backwards on this one.

      1930 Hollywood, JC AL
      House/Family 8
      Charles Fee(???) Simmons Head 38 mar.at21 AL AL AL Foreman Cedar Mill
      Della Wife 35 35 mar.at13 AL AL AL
      Sarah L. Dau 14 AL AL AL all child.the same
      Charles F. Jr. Son 11
      Sam G. Son 8
      William J. Son 3 11months

      Indexer says Fee for middle name looks like Fra? to me, in 1920 his son is listed as Charles Franklin Jr.

      1920 Sheffield Pct. Colbert Co. AL
      House 244 Family 264
      Charles F. Simmons Head 26 AL AL AL Brakeman Railroad
      Dela Wife 25 AL AL AL
      Louise Dau 4 0/12 AL AL AL
      Charles Franklin Jr. Son 1 3/12 AL AL AL

      1900 Scottsboro PO (Pct 21 all outside Scottsboro) JC AL
      House/Family 1
      James P. Sanders Head Jan 1844 56 Mar.8yrs AL SC KY Farmer
      Sallie Wife Dec 1862 Mar.8yrs 1child 1living TN TN TN
      Blake Son
      Charley Simmons Nephew Sep 1880 9 AL AL GA

      Note: Ann Chambless emailed that if I could connect Charley Simmons to Mahala Sanders who married William Simmons she could connect them further back as that William Simmons is connected to her Simmons line from NC..

      James P. Sanders is the son of Martha Mahala (maiden name UKN) Sanders and Unkknown Sanders m. ca 1838/39. Charley Simmons is the son of John F. Simmons son of William and Martha Mahala (ukn) Sanders Simmons and Tabitha Huckabe.

      Mahala Sanders m. Willam Simmons 1852 Jackson Co. AL OS Page 37

      J. F. Simmons m. Tabitha Huckabe 27 Oct 1880 JC AL D. M. Conley OS Page 519

      In 1880 J. F. Simmons 28 Boarder Farmer AL NC VA is living in the House 244 Family 264 . with H of H was J. H. McCorele 36 AL TN AL

      1870 Larkinsville PO (TS4 R5) JC A
      House 30 Family 29
      William Simons 57 Farmer NC
      Martha 54 KY
      John F. Farm Labor AL
      William J. At School AL
      Karey 10 AL

      1860 Scottsboro PO (TS4 R5) JC AL
      House/Family 366
      William Simmons 40 Farmer NC
      Mahala 40 KY
      Stephen Sanders 20 Farm Labor AL
      James Sanders 17 Farm Labor AL
      John Simmons 7 AL
      William Simmons 5 AL
      Cary 10 months AL

      In 1850 William Simmons 30 Laborer AL is listed TS 7 R6 in House/Family 349 H of H is Robert Bynum 50 Farmer NC.

      Ann are the following Williams Simmons' parents or some of his relatives?

      1850 Dist 21 JC AL
      House/Family 349
      Willliam Simmons 53 Waggonmaker NC
      Mary 53 VA
      Mikaiah 20 AL
      Mary 17 AL
      Jane 14 AL
      James 20 Laborer

      I could not find anything beyond 1870 on William J. and Cary Simmons so conclude that John F. Simmons is the father of Charles Franklin Simmons. Apparently Charley was orphaned by 1900. Don't know if there were any other children, perhaps Ann could find out from Charley's grandson. A search ot the 1900 10yrs either side of 1891 birth year found no others unless there was a female who married by 1900, found no Smmons marriages late 1890s in Jackson Co.

      Found nothing on Tabitha Huckabe other than the marriage record.

      Clay Gullatt

    • Lanita Sconce Smith
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 23, 2007
        Kyle,

        Thought you'd be interested in this info:
        James [Jr] TAYLOR. Born in 1765 in Probably North Carolina. Sold Land
        on 12 May 1792 Craven Co., NC. Was on the census for Craven Co., NC,
        in 1800. Was on the census for Rutherford Co., TN, in 1810. Listed on
        Tax List in 1812 Franklin Co., TN; There Is A James Taylor Listed. Was
        on the census for Franklin Co., TN Where Son, John, Is Still In The
        Household, in 1820. Was on the census for Jackson Co., AL, in 1830.
        Made a purchase on 1 Oct 1830 in Jackson Co., AL; James Bought 80 Acres
        Located At W 1/2 Of SW 1/4. Made a purchase on 15 Jun 1831 in Jackson
        Co., AL; W 1/2 SW Of Section 35; Bought 80.2 Acres Of Land. Was on the
        census for Jackson Co., AL, Listed As Being 70-80 Yrs Old, in 1840.
        James [Jr] died in Prob. Jackson Co., AL, in 1845; he was 80.

        On 1 Oct 1796 when James [Jr] was 31, he married Nancy WHITE, daughter
        of Unknown WHITE & Aggie UNKNOWN, in Craven Co., NC. Born in 1777 in
        PA. Was on the census for Craven Co., NC, in 1800. Was on the census
        for Rutherford Co., TN, in 1810. Was on the census for Jackson Co., AL,
        Listed As Being 50-60 Yrs Old, in 1830. Was on the census for Greene
        County, MO, Listed With Granddaughter, Rachel Taylor Holt, In Rachel’s
        Home. Nancy Is 73 Years Old., in 1850. Was on the census for Robberson
        Twp, Greene Co., Missouri, in 1860. Nancy died in Greene County, MO, in
        1864; she was 87. Buried in Robberson Praire Cemetery, Greene Co., MO;
        Located In Section A, Row 16.

        If you want a pic of Nancy WHITE TAYLOR's grave let me know. It's only
        5 miles from where my parents live.

        Lanita inMO
      • barryscalia
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 23, 2007
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Davenport <kdavenpo@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Paula.
          >
          > The Hinshaw historians have my line all the way back:
          >
          > Martha Jane Hinshaw (1847-1918) -> William (1812-1859) -> William
          > (1772-?) -> Thomas (1749-1825) -> Jacob (1710-1796) and Jacob was the
          > immigrant from Ireland. Does that fit in with yours?
          >
          > Kyle
          ---------------------------------

          Kyle,

          I have Hinshaws, Trices and Rober(t)sons in my records.

          Re the Hinshaws, I go back through Newton Hinshaw, shown here on the
          Hinshaw Family Association web site:

          http://www.rawbw.com/~hinshaw/cgi-bin/id?6818

          Newton was most likely the son or grandson of this William Hinshaw:

          http://www.rawbw.com/~hinshaw/cgi-bin/id?1034

          I match some Brandons at the 37-marker DNA level. Unless that
          intermingling of genes happened prior to the use of surnames (not very
          likely given the recency that the 37-marker match suggests) that could
          only have happened if there was an adoption or an illegitimate birth.
          Jacob Hinshaw, William's grandfather, after immigrating to the
          colonies, was in York County, PA at the same time the Brandons were
          there.

          Jacob is shown here:

          http://www.rawbw.com/~hinshaw/cgi-bin/id?64

          The perfect 37-marker DNA match with the Brandons and the fact that
          they were in the same area at the same time is pretty good
          circumstantial evidence that Jacob was Newton's ancestor through an
          illegitimate birth or an adoption.

          Trice and Rober(t)son are in my records, but are more distantly
          related to my line than the Hinshaws.
        • paula stockebrand
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 23, 2007
            Hi Kyle...
            Those Hinshaws are a different branch of the Hinshaw family of Ireland, and not closely related to the Quaker Hinshaws who went to North Carolina. The y-DNA may or may not match. You can ask Jan Hinshaw about the DNA.
            A 4th cousin sent me the following:" William Franklin Walls is mentioned on that website as father of Mary Walls, who was mother of Richard Philip Hinshaw (later legally changed his name to Richard Philip Walls) and is father of my 2nd cousin Dr. Jan Walls of Vancouver, BC."
            Sincerely,
            Paula

            paula stockebrand wrote:

            > Welcome Kyle.
            > .I have "cousins" related to the Hinshaws of Chatham and Randolph
            > County North Carolina..One descendant of Robert Hinshaw changed his
            > name to "Wall", which is my line of research. Mark Wall of Nash County
            > NC was the bondsman on Sept 10, 1799
            > to the marriage of Sarah Carter and William Jones. Mark Wall's sons
            > David Wall and Jesse Wall are on the Jackson County Alabama census in
            > 1830 and Mark's son Daniel shows up in 1840 in Jackson County. A
            > fourth son William Wall also came to Alabama..
            > We have ties to Browning, Rackley, Williams, Wheeler, Walden and
            > Griffith families...and my dna is uploaded, full 67 markers, and my
            > line is Pittman (perfect, no mutations). So we picked up the Wall name
            > in Surry County Virginia about 1655: Joseph Wall/Pittman.
            > welcome!
            > Have you seen the Hinshaw webpage?
            > Best Regards,
            > Most Sincerely,
            > Paula Fabionar
            >
            > Kyle Davenport <kdavenpo@... <mailto:kdavenpo%40tx.rr.com>> wrote:
            > My ancestors in Jackson County.
            >
            > Just joined the list and seeing no mention of these names. Any one on
            > here related?
            >
            > These folks were mostly in the NW part of Jackson County. My last
            > relative I knew there died in 1989 (Joe Hall)
            >
            > Kyle Davenport
            > Dallas, TX

          • Jennifer Murray
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 23, 2007
              Hi, Lanita,

              I don't think we have spoken before. I am a Robertson (originally from
              Jackson County) and would be interested in hearing more about your ties to
              this family.

              Thank you,
              Jennifer (Robertson) Goodman Murray
              Email: sgirl0629@...
              Website: http://www.freewebs.com/varietyservices/
              Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/Sgirl0629
              Photo Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/sgirl0629
              Family Tree: http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=sgirl0629

              >From: Lanita Sconce Smith <ozarkn@...>
              >To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Hall, Prince, Hinshaw, Trice, Taylor,
              >Roberson, Carter, Williams
              >Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:25:35 -0500
              >
              >I am interested in your TAYLOR connection. I am also connected by
              >marriage to HALL and ROBERSON from Jackson Co., AL. My TAYLORs came to
              >Missouri as did the other surnames mentioned.
              >
              >What is your lineage on these families?
              >Lanita in MO

              http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag3
            • Shirley Carter
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 24, 2007
                Hi Lanita, Guess I am getting old and losing it lol lol. You are right my father was Omer Wilson Taylor born June 9, 1892 In Polk CO., MO. Funny I remember when I ask dad where he was from he told me Polk CO., MO , and my mother told him there was not Polk CO in Missouri. She was born in Joplin, Jasper CO., MO. and after her and dad married they lived in Mount Vernon, Lawrence CO., MO. and had 5 children there befor moving to Oklahoma, where they had a remainder of 15 children in all, but only 10 lived from that 15, and I am the 3rd from the last, and I am now 68 years old and have one sister and one brother left, all the other's are with mom and dead and rest of family. I didn't even know there was Cherokee blood in my Taylor family , but knew mother had some in her as she told people she was Black Dutch, mother was Indian and father was Swedish. I found dads family registored with the Guion Miller Roll and had number's from that. My dads great grandmother was full blooded
                Cherokee as was her parents George Grooms and Millie Cook. Her name was Mary Jane Grooms and she married Zebedee Taylor in Franklin CO., TN . and they lived in Crow Creek Valley , Franklin CO., TN. while his parents lived in Crow Creek Valley, Jackson CO., AL. Samuel and Mary had several children that came to Missouri as well they were brother's and sister's to Zebedee. My great grandfather David Marion Taylor born Dec. 14,1834 Franklin CO., TN. got land grant in Stone Co. for his term in the Civil War.He married a Elizabeth Ferguson and they settled in Flat Creek, Stone ,CO., MO. in 1850 . They were one of the old pioneer's family in Stone CO., I have info. on Samuel children and Zebedee's children and my grandfather James William Taylor if interested. Most likely if your Taylor came from AL or TN to Mo. they are probably related to mine. They spread out when they came to Missouri Dade and other co. as well.Sorry for the mix up and mistake . I know after doing genealogy
                for 17 years on my Taylor where they are at and who they are but always looking for the one's that got away. lol lol So if we can make a match we may be cousin's I sure have found a lot of them along the way. You have a nice day and think about this .
                Shirley Carter Nee TAYLOR

                Lanita Sconce Smith <ozarkn@...> wrote:
                Hi!

                Uh, Shirley.... you may want to change your info. BOLIVAR is in POLK
                Co., MO not Stone... my parents live at Bolivar as do several of my
                relatives, and my 1st cousin is the county Coroner.

                Alot of my TAYLORs settled in Dade Co., MO, a county over from Polk,
                after living a while in Oregon Co., MO.

                You names don't appear in my database, but who know since it is so
                close to Greene Co,. MO, where Nancy WHITE TAYLOR is buried. [5 miles
                from Bolivar].

                Thanks for sharing!
                Lanita in MO

              • Lanita Sconce Smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 24, 2007
                  Shirley,

                  I appreciate the mixup. I have them all the time.

                  My John TAYLOR was son of James and Nancy WHITE TAYLOR, from Jackson
                  Co., AL. They migrated to AL from Craven Co., NC, and to my knowledge
                  had:

                  Thomas, b. 1797
                  Edward, b. 1798
                  Francis, b. 1800
                  John, b. 1801*** MY LINE
                  Jesse, b. 1803,

                  James, b. 1806,who mar. Jerutha Ruth HALL, [not sure if she was a dau.
                  of James Carter and Mary Ann WiLLIAMS HALL]

                  Sarah, b. 1813, who mar. Thomas W. HALL, son of James Carter and Mary
                  Ann WILLIAMS HALL.

                  Margaret, , b. 1815, who mar. a HALL, son of James Carter and Mary Ann
                  WILLIAMS HALL.

                  John made his way to the AR/MO line by 1839, his 2nd wife, Elizabeth
                  HALL [dau of the same James Carter and Mary Ann WiLLIAMS HALL] having
                  d. in an oxcart on the way. His 3rd wife he mar. in 1847 in Oregon Co.,
                  MO.

                  John had 6 children from his 1st wife [who we are trying to find];
                  he had 3 children from his 2nd wife and 10 children from his 3rd.

                  Of these children,
                  2 children settled in Greene Co., MO [girls] [Rachel and Nancy E.
                  Rachel has Nancy WHITE TAYLOR in her household in 1850 and 1860 Greene
                  Co., census and Nancy is buried next to Rachel]
                  1 son settled in Dade Co., MO [James who mar. Lucinda BEASON from
                  Jackson Co., AL]
                  2 settled in Oregon Co., MO [Jesse and Thomas]
                  1 dau settled in Oregon Co., MO [Mary Jane who mar. George W. ROBINSON]
                  1 son settled in Dallas Co., MO [Elijah Z.]

                  All of these are from 1839 to 1900s. The rest of the children, I've
                  lost track of and haven't taken the time to find them. None that I
                  KNOW of, went to Stone Co., MO, and I don't have a David Marion or a
                  Zebedee in my database.

                  Thanks!
                  Lanita in MO
                • Shirley Carter

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 25, 2007
                      Hello Kyle, I have info on Prince family. My husband's direct line:

                      Mary Winn Anderson

                      Direct Descendants of Jesse Numon Prince

                      1 Jesse Numon Prince b: 1795

                      .. +Delilah Carter b: Abt. 1805

                      ..... 2 William H. Prince b: Oct 31, 1821

                      ......... +Eliza J. Trice b: Aug 04, 1829

                      ............ 3 Mary Jane Prince b: Nov 11, 1851

                      ................ +William J. (Pete) Swaim b: 1846

                      ................... 4 Ailcey Jane Swaim b: Mar 10, 1869

                      ....................... +George Thomas Morris b: May 24, 1861

                      .......................... 5 Billy Calvin Morris b: Feb 01, 1889

                      .............................. +Ella Leoda Fanning b: Aug 23, 1887

                      .................................. 6 Emma Ree Morris b: May 31, 1913

                      ...................................... +Forrest Anderson b: Sep 18, 1910

                      ......................................... 7 Jimmie Anderson b: Nov 26, 1939

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 25, 2007
                        No I haven't written anyone in Stone Co. Thanks for the info.

                        Lanita
                      • SUE LONG
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 24, 2007
                          hello kyle
                          My name is Sue Sharp Long could u tell me about the Carter side of your family i am kin to the Carters to my g grandfather was e\Edward Carter my grand dad was Hester Miles Carter
                          eny help will be nice. thank u Sue