Sentell and Jacks or Sanders

  • justinmsanders
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2007
      In the 1900 Census, in ED 27, p8A (Cave Spring Precinct) the family of
      James and Mary J. Sentell is listed. James is 27 (b Apr 1873) and
      Mary is 25 (b May 1875). Also in the household is a 75 year old woman
      named Sarah Sanders (b Feb 1825) listed as "aunt".

      Is this woman Sarah A. Jacks (b c1827) who married Henry L. Sanders?
      Henry died about 1862 in Missouri, but Sarah and her three sons
      Benjamin E, Jeremiah M., and Lindsey V., returned to Jackson county,
      and they are enumerated in the 1870 and 1880 censuses. I know that
      Sarah A. Sanders (Henry's widow) lived in Jackson Co until at least
      1909, since her Confederate widow's pension has records that go that
      far.

      So is this aunt of James (or Mary) Sentell the same Sarah A. Sanders?
      If so, in what way is she the aunt? I don't see any immediate
      connection between any of the Jacks family and any of the Sentells. Or
      between the Sanders and Sentells either. Who exactly is Sarah?

      Justin M. Sanders
    • Lewis Flanagin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2007
        James Sentell is the son of Augustus Sentell and Eliza Matthews. Their marriage record is listed on Ancestry.com as follows:

        Name: Augustus Sentell
        Spouse: Elizas M Matthews
        Marriage Date: 2 Dec 1869
        County: Jackson
        State: Alabama
        Performed By Title: Minister of the Gospel
        Performed by Name: Chas B Roach
        Source information: Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research

        Augustus and Eliza appear in Jackson Co., Alabama, in the 1870, 1880, and 1900 U. S. Census records:

        Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Kyles, Jackson, Alabama; Roll: M593_20; Page: 109; Image: 217.

        Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Beat 8, Jackson, Alabama; Roll: T9_16; Family History Film: 1254016; Page: 17.4000; Enumeration District: 97; Image: 0169.

        Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Cave Spring, Jackson, Alabama; Roll: T623 19; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 27.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2007
          I found the following marriage record, which is probably that of James's brother, Isaac:

          Name: I M Sentell
          Spouse: Josie Knight
          Marriage Date: 18 Oct 1892
          County: Jackson
          State: Alabama
          Performed By Title: Minister of the Gospel
          Performed by Name: R Howell
          Source information: Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research

          The year of the marriage, 1892, agrees with the date one would estimate from the 1900 Census (Isaac Sentell and his wife, Lillian J., had been married 8 years in 1900).

          A Sallie Knight married a Milton Sanders in 1895:

          Name: Sallie M Knight
          Spouse: Milton N Sanders
          Marriage Date: 24 Nov 1895
          County: Jackson
          State: Alabama
          Performed By Title: Minister of the Gospel
          Performed by Name: D S Collins
          Source information: Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research

          According to the 1900 Census, Milton Sanders was born Jan. 1874 in AL and was married abt. 1896; his wife Sally was born Sept. 1879 in AL.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2007
            Lewis' replies helped me focus on the Knight family. On Rootsweb's
            Worldconnect, we have James Luther Sentell married Mary J. Knight.
            Mary was the daughter of Marion G. Knight and Martha A. Jacks (md in
            Jackson Co, 5 Nov 1863). Martha A. Jacks was the sister of Sarah A.
            Jacks (who married Henry L. Sanders).

            So... Sarah A. Jacks Sanders was the aunt of Mary J. Knight Sentell,
            and everything fits.

            Thanks for your help!

            Justin M. Sanders