Riddle, & Simmons, Family Genealogy

  • Loretta Simmons
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
      Dear Friends,

      I am also a new member of this group, and can't help but believe that if only
      half of the members read this message, someone out there will respond with a small piece
      of the puzzle, or just that one clue that I have needed all these years to solve some of my
      Family mysteries.
      Those mysteries are, who were the Parents, and/or Siblings of Zachariah Simmons, b. abt.
      1820 in or near Jackson County, Alabama ?

      And who was the Parents, and/or Siblings of Zachariah's Wife, Elizabeth Riddle, b. abt.
      1825 in or near Jackson County, Alabama ?

      The only facts that are known that may help a member help me are,
      1. Based on Census reports, Zachariah's Parents were born in Alabama
      2. Zachariah lived in Jackson, & Madison County Alabama, as well as Lincoln Co. Tn,
      and possibly had Family connections to Lawrence County, Alabama.
      3. Zachariah Married Elizabeth Riddle in Lincoln Co. Tn. on Dec.28,1839, and lived in
      south west Lincoln Co. Tn. until abt. 1847 at which time He purchased land in sections
      23 & 24 of King Cove in far north east Madison County, Al. bordered on 3 sides by
      Jackson County.
      4. Zachariah & Elizabeth had approx. 17 Children, Louisa b.abt.1841-George b.abt.1844-
      Martha M.b.abt.1845-Wm b.abt.1846- John W. b.abt. 1847- Frances b.abt.1848-
      Nancy b. abt.1849- Samuel H. b. abt. 1851- Eliza Jane b.abt.1854- Squire b.abt.1855-
      Deliah Ellen S. b. abt.1856- Catherine Cordelia Melesa b.abt.1858- Rogeia Ida (Rose)
      b.abt. 1861- Mary Fanny b.abt.1863- James M. b.abt.1864- Catherine b.abt.1865-
      Ferrell Franklin b.abt.1866.
      5. Child # 1 Louisa, Married John Graham of Jackson County, Child # 14 Mary Fanny,
      was the 2nd Wife of Elias Rigel, Limestone County, Alabama, Child # 17 Ferrell Franklin
      Married Mary Elizabeth Bentley in Limestone County, Alabama, Daughter of David C.
      Bentley, & Mary Crouch.
      6. Children Louisa, George, Wm, Frances, Nancy, Squire, & James M. Simmons are
      believed to have remained in or near Jackson County while the other Siblings moved
      into Madison County, and later into Limestone county, possibly briefly to Lawrence
      County ? and those 7 just mentioned remains unaccounted for to date, though its
      possible that Louisa (Liza Jane) is Buried with Husband John Graham, either in the
      Graham Cemetery at section # 21 in Jackson Co, or at the Fanning Cemetery in sect.
      # 19 of north west Jackson County, Al. (John Graham's Mother's Maiden name was
      Fanning)
      7. By 1880 the Madison Co. Al. Census show Zachariah Simmons living with a Betsey
      Dollar,
      at beat # 12 and Family # 68, though no record has ever been found that would
      suggest Zachariah Simmons, & Elizabeth Riddle were ever Divorced.
      8. The only known to date with respect to the Parents of Elizabeth Riddle was found on
      an 1880 Madison County Al. Census wherein She, (Elizabeth) declared to the Census
      taker that Her Father was born in Virginia, and Mother born in S.C., a possible Sibling
      is a Barnet Riddle b. abt.1820 lived in Lincoln, & Giles County, Tn. Wife Elizabeth,
      Children, John M., Presley C.P., Margaret C., Barnet T.L., and Julia E.
      Barnet & Elizabeth were found in Minutes of the Baptist Church Of Jesus Christ on
      Paint Rock River, & Larkin Fork of Jackson County in 1836, 1837, & 1838 along with
      the mention of a Ephriam Riddle, & Shadrick Simmons.
      9. Elizabeth (Riddle) Simmons, was almost certain to have been closely related to James,
      Matthew, and Eli Riddle of Jackson County based on Husband Zachariah being listed
      on the Estate of James Riddle dated Jan.26, 1858 as security on a land deed note from
      the Estate, for Land purchased from the Estate by Eli Riddle.
      10. Zachariah & Elizabeth's 4th Son Wm Simmons, may have Married Nancy Mechem,
      in Jackson County, Al. Lis: Oct. 3, 1864 ?
      11. Zachariah & Elizabeth's Daughter Nancy (A.?) Simmons, may have been raised by
      Alfred H. Reed, and Wife Isabella based on 1870 Jackson County Census, wherein
      Nancy was listed as age 17 in 1870, Alfred, & Isabella Reed were listed as age
      34 & 38.

      If anyone feels that they have any helpful information at all into the possible Parents, and/or
      Siblings of Zachariah Simmons, or Elizabeth (Riddle) Simmons, please share that information with me.

      Thanks to all for your patients, and kindness.

      Dwight Simmons
      25 Forest Green Drive
      Springfield, IL. 62711

      GG-grandson of Zachariah Simmons & Elizabeth Riddle

    • Lanita Sconce Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
        Because of the naming patterns of naming the 1st girl after the
        mother's mother, and the 1st boy after the father's father, I would
        look at these who are the hoh's and were found in 1830 Jackson Co., AL
        census:

        ****George B.

        Jas
        John
        Richd
        Wm.

        All of these were in Jackson Co. in 1830.

        In Madison Co., are:
        John J.
        Thomas
        Vicent

        Lawrence Co., AL were:
        Charles
        Jane
        John
        Joshua

        In Lincoln Co. ,TN are:
        Wm.
        James
        Jarrett
        John J.
        Louis
        Ncey

        Hope this helps!
        Lanita

        I think my family tree is a few branches short of full bloom.

      • Lanita Sconce Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
          RIDDLES hoh's in 1830 Jackson Co., AL census were:
          Alexander
          Burgess
          Harman
          James