Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: New! (Arnold)/Wm. A. ARNOLD, b. 1820 Lincoln Co., TN

  • frances sadler
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
      Lanita, your William A. Arnold is a brother to my gggrandmother Martha
      (Polly) Arnold Green. Do you have any information on Martha's husband James
      Green? I know he was born in Va. but I don't know who his parents were.
      Would love to hear from you. Frances Landess Sadler
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
        HI Cuz!

        I am thrilled to hear from another new cousin! I don't have any info on
        James GREEN, except that he and Polly were found in the 1850 census in
        Jackson Co., and that he d. 8 Jun 1880 [and she on 22 Sept 1877]. I
        don't know where they are buried.

        Do you have access to ancestry or heritagequest census? I have ancestry
        to try to help, but I haven't researched the Greens at all.

        Do you agree that Martha's parents were Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane
        REID/REED? If so, who do you have for their parents? Anxious to hear
        from you!

        Lanita in MO

        FYI: I have pic of Wm's grave if you want or need.
      • frances sadler
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
          Lanita, I do believe that William Arnold was Ralph A. Arnold's father and
          that Ralph A. Arnold and Jane Reid are your William and my gggrandmother
          Martha Arnold Green's parents..I believe it is in the 1830 census for
          Lincoln Co. that the Arnolds and some Greens are in the same area on the
          census. What I have is that Ralph and Jane were married in N.C. where Jane
          was born. They married in 1807. My believe is that the Arnolds and the
          Greens knew each other in Va. My James Green was born in 1805 in Va. Where
          I don't know. James and Martha Arnold Green are buried in Prince Cemetery
          also known as Larkin's Fork.. Maybe we can piece some information together
          that will help us both. Frances Sadler
          > I am thrilled to hear from another new cousin! I don't have any info on
          > James GREEN, except that he and Polly were found in the 1850 census in
          > Jackson Co., and that he d. 8 Jun 1880 [and she on 22 Sept 1877]. I
          > don't know where they are buried.
          >
          > Do you have access to ancestry or heritagequest census? I have ancestry
          > to try to help, but I haven't researched the Greens at all.
          >
          > Do you agree that Martha's parents were Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane
          > REID/REED? If so, who do you have for their parents? Anxious to hear
          > from you!
          >
          > Lanita in MO
          >
          > FYI: I have pic of Wm's grave if you want or need.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lanita Sconce Smith
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
            Frances,

            I have the following:
            First Generation
            —————————————————————————————————————————————

            1. William [3] ARNOLD. Born on 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland Co. VA. County
            Line change from Stoke County, NC Is Formed From Surry County, in
            1789. Was on the census for Stokes County, NC, neighbors are Joseph
            REED/REID family, in 1790. Was on the census for Rutherford Co., TN, in
            1810. Was on the census for Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co., TN, in 1820.
            Was on the census for Rutherford Co., TN [there are 3 listed for
            Rutherford Co., TN], in 1830. Applied for Rev. War Pension on 17 Nov
            1834 Rutherford Co., TN. William [3] died in possibly Rutherford Co.,
            TN, ca 1838; he was 88. Buried in Probably Rutherford Co., TN.

            Ca 1769 when William [3] was 19, he married Unknown.

            They had the following children:
            i. William. Born in 1787 in South Carolina.
            William married Arey JACOBS.
            2 ii. Ralph C. (1787-1858)
            iii. Joel. Born in 1797 in Tennessee. Was on the census for Jackson
            Co., AL, in 1850.

            Second Generation
            —————————————————————————————————————————————
            Family of William [3] ARNOLD (1) & Unknown

            2. Ralph C. ARNOLD (William [3]1). Born in 1787 in probably Henry Co.,
            VA. Was on the census for Lincoln Co., TN, in 1820. Was on the census
            for Lincoln Co., TN, in 1830. Was on the census for Jackson Co., AL; 2
            doors down is a family of REEDs, in 1840. Was on the census for Jackson
            Co., AL, in 1850. Ralph C. died in Jackson Co., AL, in 1858; he was 71.
            Will was probated in 1859 Jackson Co., Alabama. Occupation: Farmer In
            1850. Farm Was Worth $800. Residence: They lived at Jackson County, AL.

            Ca 1805 when Ralph C. was 18, he married Jane REID, daughter of Joseph
            REID/READ (1760-) & UNKNOWN, in Possibly Stokes Co., NC. Born ca 1787
            in North Carolina. Was on the census for Jackson Co., AL, in 1840. Was
            on the census for Jackson Co., AL, in 1850. Was on the census for
            Jackson Co., Alabama, in 1860. Was on the census for Jackson Co.,
            Alabama, Living With Her Daughter., in 1870. Jane died in Jackson Co.,
            Alabama, ca 1876; she was 89.

            1840 Jackson Co., AL
            ARNOLD, Ralph, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 15-20, 1 male 40-50, 2 females
            10-15, 2 females 20-30, 1 female 30-40

            1870 Jackson Co., AL
            McCOLLUM, Curtis, age 65
            Cynthia, age 63
            Washburn, John, age 53 white
            McCOLLUM, Mary, age 35, black
            Lewis, age 13, black
            Dory, agee 6, black
            Julia, age 21, black
            Minirvy, age 6, black
            ARNOLD, Jane, age 85, listed as black, but she was born in NC and
            matches Jane, mother of Cynthia

            They had the following children:
            i. Elizabeth (~1807-<1859)
            ii. Mary Aka Polly (1808->1880)
            iii. Cynthia (1809-1900)
            iv. Martha [Polly] (1813-1877)
            v. John (1814->1860)
            vi. Nancy (1817-<1880)
            vii. Frances [Fannie] Amanda (~1818-1887)
            viii. William A. [4] (1820-1873)
            ix. Ralph C. [JR] (1828->1858)
            x. Jane (1830-<1880)
            xi. James (-1825)

            I have a concern that I may have skipped a generation. I just don't
            know if 40 years is reasonable amount of years between the birth of a
            father to a birth of a son, back then.

            Your thoughts?
            Lanita
          • dragonriders118
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 17, 2007
              My name is John McCollum Green. I am related to the same Ralph Arnold
              and Jane Reid Arnold through their daughter Cynthia Arnold who married
              my gggrandfather Curtis McCollum. Interestingly, another sister married
              Curtis' brother Barnabas. I believe that a Nancy McCollum was their
              mother because the 1820 census of Lincoln Cty TN showed a Nancy McCollum
              with children in the appropriate age and sex categories as they are
              tabulated in the census records of that time. On the same page is a
              Ralph Arnold with wife and family also in the proper categories. Of
              course we need more to be sure. if you are interested in any of the
              McCollum, I have a lot of info.

              John
              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lanitass" <ozarkn@...> wrote:

              > RE:
              > > my ggrandfather Willifm F. H. (Bose) Moore, b Jan 1861 in Tennessee,
              was married to
              > Sarah Jane Arnold, born Jun 1865, in Tennessee. They were married 24
              Dec 1880. She
              > died 15 Dec 1954 and both are buried in Secction, Jackson, Al. There
              is no headstone just
              > a rock at the head and foot.
              > >

              > I am interested in your ARNOLDs in Jackson Co. My Wm. A. ARNOLD was
              b. 1820 LIncoln
              > Co., TN, son of Ralph C. ARNOLD and Jane REID. Ralph was b. 1787.
              Ralph was son of
              > William [OF COURSE, Let's ALL name our son William if our last name
              is ARNOLD!!! :>)].

              > listed in the "ABTRACTS OF REV. WAR PENSION FILES"; pg 81
              >
              > William, R272, VA line, appl 17 Nov 1834, b 31 Aug 1749 in Cumberland
              Cty VA, was
              > living in Henry Cty VA at enl then moved to Surry Cty NC then to TN on
              the Holston River
              > for 2 yrs then to Jackson Cty AL for 2 yrs then back to Rutherford Cty
              TN whre he lived at
              > appl
              >
              > Lots of info on Wm. A son of Ralph, who moved to Oregon Co., MO after
              marrying Amanda
              > DUBOISE from Jackson Co. Willing to share if we connect!
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Lanita in MO

            • dragonriders118
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 17, 2007
                Frances,

                I don't have any info on James Green, but I am very interested in the
                decendents of James and his wife Martha Arnold. Is it possible that
                James had brothers named Marne D., Isaac and Henry? I guess with travel
                so hard and few neighbors there had to be lots of marriages within an
                extended family with 8 to 10 surnames.

                John McCollum Green

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "frances sadler" <frances1@...>
                wrote:

                > Lanita, your William A. Arnold is a brother to my gggrandmother Martha
                > (Polly) Arnold Green. Do you have any information on Martha's husband
                James
                > Green? I know he was born in Va. but I don't know who his parents
                were.
                > Would love to hear from you. Frances Landess Sadler
                Lincoln