Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jewel

  • MaryTom482@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
      I read with much interest your note about the 1870 Census book by Jessie
      Brandon Griffith. Is that book for sale and how would I purchase one?
      Would you be so kind to see if Alfred Willis is listed and if Taylor Cameron
      is listed.
      Thank you so much. Mary Drew
    • J Casey
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
        To everyone:
        I bought the 1870 Jackson County, AL census from:
        Jessie J. Brandon Griffith
        1002 Lakeview Drive
        Rossville, GA 30741

        when it first came out in 1989. Not sure the book is still available but
        someone else might know about it.

        As far as "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" by Kittye Henshaw, Evelyn Rochelle
        and Addie Shaver, it is my understaning that it is no longer available. Ms.
        Kitty passed away recently and Evelyn Rochelle and Addie Shaver both live in
        Huntsville and can be contacted through "Valley Leaves" Tennessee Valley
        Genealogical Society, Inc. in Huntsville. Their web site is
        http://hiwaay.net/~white/TVGS/tvgs.html

        Thanks
        Jewel

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
          June 2, 1870 Jackson County, AL
          Subdivision 2, Big Coon
          #195-199
          A.J. Willis 20 (male) Ala. school teacher

          No Taylor Cameron listed.

          Thanks

        • MaryTom482@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
            Thank you so much for looking this up for me. Am most interested in the
            Willis genealogy. Have hit so many blocks!!!!! Mary Willis Drew
          • J Casey
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
              Mary, there was also
              in the same area as A.J. Willis

              #60-60
              Larkin Willis 42 AL
              Cynthia 38 TN
              John 20 TN
              Cynthia 18 AL
              Wm. 16 TN
              Wilson 12 AL
              Mary 10 AL
              Musadore 8 AL female
              James 6 AL
              Thos. 4 AL
              Edgar 5/12 AL (Dec)
              Walter 5/12 AL (Dec)

              #248-252
              Elizabeth Willis 33 AL
              Serena 14 AL
              Sarah J. 12 AL
              Nancy 6 AL

              #253-257
              Wm. L. Ferguson 62 NC
              Martha 50 TN
              Sarah E. 24 TN
              Amos Wilson 18 TN Female (Wilson may have been her middle
              name-yes listed as female
              Amanda M. 15 TN
              John M. 10 TN
              Wm. L. Willis 34 Miss-teacher

              #768-773
              Elizabeth Willis 62 TN
              Wilson 29 AL
              Alfred 17 AL
              Susan 12 AL
              Michael 10 TN
              Darcus C. 50 VA

              Then Scottsboro, 300 June 1, 1870
              #312-311
              James Willis 44 AL laborer
              Margaret 46 AL
              Susannah 22 AL
              Calvin 20 AL
              John H. 17 AL
              Nancy A. 10 AL

              Scottsboro T3-R4#50-50
              James Willis 45 AL
              Margaret 41 AL
              Calvin 20 AL
              John H. 17 AL
              Mary 15 AL
              Nancy E. 12 AL
              James M. 9 AL
              Wm. 6 AL
              Ann M. 3 AL
              Susannah Allan 23 AL
              Samuel C. 4 AL
              It appears he is an Allan

              June 21, 1870 Woodville Subdivision #4
              There was Calvin Willis 20 AL
              Works on R.R. living with a Charles Davis or Dover

              Township 4 Range 5 East (probably of Scottsboro or Woodville)

              #7-7
              Sarah Willis 36 AL
              Olivia E. 22 AL
              Arkansas 19 AL

              Sure hope this helps you with your Willis research
              Jewel D. Casey

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2001
                I have a few minutes so thought I'd send these to you anyway.

                June 16, 1870 Bridgeport, Jackson County, AL
                #95-96
                David Cameron 22 AL
                Martha 23 TN
                Nora L. 9/12 al (Sept.)

                June 1, 1870 Stevenson District, Jackson County, AL
                #20-22
                Daniel Cameron 38 AL
                Jane 32 TN
                Mary 14 AL
                Ann 11 AL
                Taylor 9 AL ****
                James 6 AL
                Nancy 3 AL

                Could that be the Taylor Cameron you're talking about?? I thought he would
                have been an adult. As a caution, you should give an approximate birth or
                death date when asking about someone. OK? No harm done, except to you maybe
                because I didn't see him as a child. Good luck.

                #22-24
                Elizabeth Cameron 72 TN
                Martha 38 AL
                Mary J. 27 AL
                Jane McCrary 13 AL

                #23-25
                Lozan Cameron 38 TN
                Mary 20 AL
                Jane 4/12 AL (Feb.)

                June 30, 1870, Long Island District, Jackson County, AL

                #113-114
                Hugh Cameron 53 KY
                Nancy 46 SC
                Elizabeth 24 AL
                Wm. 22 AL
                Daniel 21 AL
                John C. 20 AL
                Matilda 16 AL
                Nancy 14 AL
                Mary 11 AL
                Millie 9 AL
                Louisa 7 AL

                JULY 1, 1870 , 300 Subdivision, Jackson County, AL(doesn't explain enough as
                to where located)
                #110-109
                CAMRON
                Samuel Camron 35 TN
                Eliza 26 GA
                Wm. 4 GA
                Amanda 1 GA
                Mary 26 GA

                #379-376
                Mindy Camron 31 AL male
                Lucy 30 AL
                Henry G. 5 AL

                August 19, 1870 Township 6, Range 5 East, Jackson County, AL (doesn't
                explain enough as to where located)

                #37-37
                James T. CAMERON 33 AL
                Nancy 25 AL
                Sarah E. 2 AL
                Abraham J. 5/12 AL (no date)

                Township 5 Range 5 East, Jackson County, Al (no date, assuming same as
                above)
                #44-43
                Charles Cameron 23 GA
                Sarah A. 25 AL
                Ellen 6 AL
                Anna 8/12 AL (Oct)

                I think this covers all the CAMERON and CAMRON 1870 Jackson County, AL
                Hope all this helps you somehow.
                Jewel
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 29 8:04 PM
                  Jewel,

                  You have just taught a very good lesson on searching census page by page
                  instead of using the indexes.

                  I find Mas Colbert in HH 314 but he is not listed on any index search on
                  ancestry, even using the soundex seach method.

                  The name is spelled on the census as Cobbert, so with soundex search, it was
                  not picked up.

                  Thanks for the reminder that it is not as simple as it sometimes seems.

                  Rayedene Graves

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 30 10:23 AM
                    Well, thank you!! Sometimes the surname looks like something else, in this
                    case it looked like COBBERT.

                  • Kevin Hall
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 30 8:56 PM
                      Thank you for all your help, It is really
                      appreciated.
                      The Mas Colbert may be a nick name. We are looking
                      into the possiblity that William Colbert had several
                      children listed on the 1818 census but most all had
                      indian names. One of them may be the father of Mas.
                      Gina

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                    • Jewel Casey
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 31 7:54 AM
                        I'm dumb, what 1818 census are you speaking of? And where was William
                        located?